8cm Complex Ovarian Cyst with CA125 of 51 - Absolutely terrified!!

I posted on here a few days ago after I found out unexpectedly that I had a large complex ovarian cyst. The consultant thinks it could a dermoid cyst but can't determine this for sure and is sending me for an MRI scan. In the meantime, my CA125 has come back raised at 51!!! I'm postmenopausal which just adds even more risk into the mix and I just feel like the odds are stacking up against me. I've had no symptoms and only got checked out because of a tiny amount of postmenopausal bleeding. I'm all over the place.

Parents
  • Hello jembers, I wrote on your first post as I also have an incidental mass very similar. 
    when I had my CA125 test I was told it is very likely for a raised amount even if only a cyst as it can signal other things like pelvic inflammatory. The levels can be in their hundreds just on a period so actually the fact that you went to the docs with some post menopause bleeding might actual explain the higher level.

    when is your MRI? I am also awaiting mine, I had to have further bloods taken on wed and awaiting my MRI now. 2-4 weeks. 
    more waiting…..

    keeping everything crossed for us! 

  • Hi cloudy1986, thanks so much for checking in with me, it means a lot. I've been given an appointment for 23rd December (Merry Christmas!!) I'm clearly on an urgent 2 week wait due to the nature of my cyst, my age and my blood test results. It's very hard not to fear the worst. I'm trying to remind myself that my situation could be completely benign, but due to my terrible habit of googling, I've convinced myself that it's something terrible! I am genuinely sending as many positive thoughts to both of us as I possibly can. X

  • I’m absolutely terrified but what’s the alternative! I call my bump Steve now! Feeling bad isn’t going to help me! Just want it done now… it’s the waiting that’s soul destroying x 

  • Apparently so but not had a call yet… hopefully tmrw… the wheels turn slowly or so it feels at the mo x

  • I know a couple of Steves. They're fairly benign so let's hope yours joins the ranks of benign Steves.

  • Calyxa, I'd like to echo Lyns21 comment that you are a brave lady. Yes, when push comes to shove, we do have to just get on with it, but having the strength of mind to do that calmly and not go to pieces is admirable. I was a trembling wreck, and barely functioning while I was waiting for my MRI results. I'd also like to point out how brave you are too Lyns21 (I loved the benign Steves comment btw! :D) You've got a tonne of stuff on your plate, but you've always kept in touch and been there for people. It's very much appreciated. X

  • I've got a hiatal hernia. It's such a huge relief but noone really told me how to manage it yet. Will read stuff online.

  • That’s great news! Hopefully they can sort xx

  • Glad you've got that out the way. Hiatus hernias are really common. My sister has had one for years and it's recently been causing her some issues with quite bad reflux symptoms. My best friend had one too and had surgery eventually because her acid reflux was so severe. That's usually a last resort and I think they can be often be managed with medication and dietary changes. Take it easy and enjoy your weekend. X

  • Ah I’m so glad you have results. They are common but bloody horrible to struggle to eat etc. sending hugs, I know how rubbish it can be when eating is hard!x

  • Sorry all, had to wait till yesterday for the consultation with the surgeon! It didn’t go as well as I had hoped in that he didn’t sugarcoat it at all! It will be major surgery with a lot of horrible risks (those bloody clots!) and will probably be circa 8 hrs and depending on what he finds maybe a stoma. Still no definitive diagnosis it may, or may not, be benign but he won’t know till they get in there! He’s looking at July which is also a major disappointment but there is not a lot I can do .. it’s also ruptured and leaking … hope you are all ok and will update you when I can x

Reply
  • Sorry all, had to wait till yesterday for the consultation with the surgeon! It didn’t go as well as I had hoped in that he didn’t sugarcoat it at all! It will be major surgery with a lot of horrible risks (those bloody clots!) and will probably be circa 8 hrs and depending on what he finds maybe a stoma. Still no definitive diagnosis it may, or may not, be benign but he won’t know till they get in there! He’s looking at July which is also a major disappointment but there is not a lot I can do .. it’s also ruptured and leaking … hope you are all ok and will update you when I can x

Children