8cm Complex Ovarian Cyst with CA125 of 51 - Absolutely terrified!!

I posted on here a few days ago after I found out unexpectedly that I had a large complex ovarian cyst. The consultant thinks it could a dermoid cyst but can't determine this for sure and is sending me for an MRI scan. In the meantime, my CA125 has come back raised at 51!!! I'm postmenopausal which just adds even more risk into the mix and I just feel like the odds are stacking up against me. I've had no symptoms and only got checked out because of a tiny amount of postmenopausal bleeding. I'm all over the place.

Parents
  • Hello jembers, I wrote on your first post as I also have an incidental mass very similar. 
    when I had my CA125 test I was told it is very likely for a raised amount even if only a cyst as it can signal other things like pelvic inflammatory. The levels can be in their hundreds just on a period so actually the fact that you went to the docs with some post menopause bleeding might actual explain the higher level.

    when is your MRI? I am also awaiting mine, I had to have further bloods taken on wed and awaiting my MRI now. 2-4 weeks. 
    more waiting…..

    keeping everything crossed for us! 

  • Hi cloudy1986, thanks so much for checking in with me, it means a lot. I've been given an appointment for 23rd December (Merry Christmas!!) I'm clearly on an urgent 2 week wait due to the nature of my cyst, my age and my blood test results. It's very hard not to fear the worst. I'm trying to remind myself that my situation could be completely benign, but due to my terrible habit of googling, I've convinced myself that it's something terrible! I am genuinely sending as many positive thoughts to both of us as I possibly can. X

  • Your appointment is this week! How you feeling?x 

  • No hopefully after MDT on Thursday x

  • How's it going? Just a little update, I had my follow-up appointment this morning. They are not concerned about my cyst in anyway and I was given three options of how to deal with it. One was just to watch and wait, two was to remove the cyst, and three was to remove the cyst and both my ovaries and fallopian tubes. I'd always assumed that because I've already gone through the menopause, they'd automatically do the third option. I suppose it was quite comforting to know that I could just leave it alone if I wanted to. Anyway, I've chosen to have the cyst and ovaries etc. removed. I just thought it was the safest option and will give me the greatest peace of mind for the future. It will be done via keyhole surgery, but absolutely no idea when. Hopefully I can book a holiday without suddenly getting called in! Let me know how you're all getting on. I know everyone has got stuff going on at the moment and I'm hoping you'll all get some positive feedback very soon. X

  • That’s great news on mine I asked if they would do a hysterectomy and she said for any cyst removal they would do automatically… tbh I would rather them gone than any chance of anything sinister appearing! 

    i ended up in A & E earlier, thought my clots were back but they think it’s just grown again so causing more problems!

    oh well what a pair we are x

  • I've got the gastroscopy tomorrow afternoon so will finally get some feedback about what's going on.

    I was 39 when I had my cysts removed and menopause can trigger manic episodes in those afflicted but if I had been a smidgen older and without bipolar I'd have had it all out too. My mum had endometrial cancer so I kinda think reproductive organs once they've had their use are a bit of a liability.

    Good luck everyone with their appointments etc.

  • Oh I was thinking of you today. Glad to hear they are not af all concerned and just waiting on getting your surgery now. You will probs get a pre op letter at some point to give you a better idea. Although I thought since I’d had my pre op I was getting closer but I was speaking to someone who has had 3 pre ops! So maybe not! 
    I would have gone for the same choice as you. Just get it all out and have that security for the future. Although as I’m not 40 yet or through the menopause, I am hoping to hang on to whatever they can for now. 
    my cyst is causing me bother, sometimes I get this horrible pressure pain that lasts for days, when I do kegels it’s so sore internally. I cannot wait to just get this surgery and move on from this chapter x 

  • Sorry to hear you have ended up in a&e. Are you sore? Were you discussed at MDT today?x 

  • I completely missed the a&e visit. You're a very brave lady, calyxa, you just seem to take it all in your stride. I hope they sort everything out for you asap.

  • I’m absolutely terrified but what’s the alternative! I call my bump Steve now! Feeling bad isn’t going to help me! Just want it done now… it’s the waiting that’s soul destroying x 

  • Apparently so but not had a call yet… hopefully tmrw… the wheels turn slowly or so it feels at the mo x

Reply Children
  • Sorry all, had to wait till yesterday for the consultation with the surgeon! It didn’t go as well as I had hoped in that he didn’t sugarcoat it at all! It will be major surgery with a lot of horrible risks (those bloody clots!) and will probably be circa 8 hrs and depending on what he finds maybe a stoma. Still no definitive diagnosis it may, or may not, be benign but he won’t know till they get in there! He’s looking at July which is also a major disappointment but there is not a lot I can do .. it’s also ruptured and leaking … hope you are all ok and will update you when I can x

  • I just want to give you the most major hug. It sounds really traumatic even just getting the stage you're at let alone an 8 hour surgery. I hope there are cancellations and you get in quicker.

  • Also sending hugs, what a rough ride you are having of it. I actually am struggling to believe you need to wait into July with it ruptured and leaking. Is that making you feel unwell? How are you keeping yourself busy? You are such a trooper and seem so positive against it all. I really hope it’s not long now and they are giving you worst case scenarios. I think surgeons tend to err on the side of caution and not sugar coat anything so you go into surgery with all of the info. Also fingers crossed not for the stoma but even if it does happen - it might not be forever, surgeons are amazing at reversal etc. sending hugs and healing thoughts. You are amazing x 

  • How are you getting on with your eating? And your partner? Hope things are ok x 

  • Thanks hun, in myself I don’t feel too bad, I have stronger painkiller but it’s worse at night and the lack of sleep is getting to me so I was disappointed to hear it might be another month! My sister is living with a stoma do not do bothered about that tbh but it’s the get ifs as always x

  • Eating is ok but now have to do a pre op high protein diet and no wine… that’s a killer! X

  • Hey, sorry for the late response, I've only just seen this. It all sounds quite overwhelming and it must be incredibly frustrating and quite scary that progress seems to be so slow, especially after everything you've been told. I hope you're holding up ok. I suppose when faced with the honest facts, you just have to get on with it and keep ploughing on. I was all over the place when I was waiting for results. Even though I've been told it's a dermoid cyst and I'm just waiting for routine surgery, I still get scared and ask myself what if. I'm sending positive thoughts and hugs. Take it easy and keep in touch. XX

  • I think that’s the issue, if they could deal with immediately it’s done but the waiting… seems like forever! They still think it could be benign so that’s what I am holding on to! I have a date now.. 25/6 so loads of tests beforehand and meetings with anaesthetists etc….i think all surgery is scary tbh hope yours get shipped out quickly too xx