8cm Complex Ovarian Cyst with CA125 of 51 - Absolutely terrified!!

I posted on here a few days ago after I found out unexpectedly that I had a large complex ovarian cyst. The consultant thinks it could a dermoid cyst but can't determine this for sure and is sending me for an MRI scan. In the meantime, my CA125 has come back raised at 51!!! I'm postmenopausal which just adds even more risk into the mix and I just feel like the odds are stacking up against me. I've had no symptoms and only got checked out because of a tiny amount of postmenopausal bleeding. I'm all over the place.

Parents Reply Children
  • Sorry all, had to wait till yesterday for the consultation with the surgeon! It didn’t go as well as I had hoped in that he didn’t sugarcoat it at all! It will be major surgery with a lot of horrible risks (those bloody clots!) and will probably be circa 8 hrs and depending on what he finds maybe a stoma. Still no definitive diagnosis it may, or may not, be benign but he won’t know till they get in there! He’s looking at July which is also a major disappointment but there is not a lot I can do .. it’s also ruptured and leaking … hope you are all ok and will update you when I can x

  • I just want to give you the most major hug. It sounds really traumatic even just getting the stage you're at let alone an 8 hour surgery. I hope there are cancellations and you get in quicker.

  • Also sending hugs, what a rough ride you are having of it. I actually am struggling to believe you need to wait into July with it ruptured and leaking. Is that making you feel unwell? How are you keeping yourself busy? You are such a trooper and seem so positive against it all. I really hope it’s not long now and they are giving you worst case scenarios. I think surgeons tend to err on the side of caution and not sugar coat anything so you go into surgery with all of the info. Also fingers crossed not for the stoma but even if it does happen - it might not be forever, surgeons are amazing at reversal etc. sending hugs and healing thoughts. You are amazing x 

  • How are you getting on with your eating? And your partner? Hope things are ok x 

  • Thanks hun, in myself I don’t feel too bad, I have stronger painkiller but it’s worse at night and the lack of sleep is getting to me so I was disappointed to hear it might be another month! My sister is living with a stoma do not do bothered about that tbh but it’s the get ifs as always x

  • Eating is ok but now have to do a pre op high protein diet and no wine… that’s a killer! X

  • Hey, sorry for the late response, I've only just seen this. It all sounds quite overwhelming and it must be incredibly frustrating and quite scary that progress seems to be so slow, especially after everything you've been told. I hope you're holding up ok. I suppose when faced with the honest facts, you just have to get on with it and keep ploughing on. I was all over the place when I was waiting for results. Even though I've been told it's a dermoid cyst and I'm just waiting for routine surgery, I still get scared and ask myself what if. I'm sending positive thoughts and hugs. Take it easy and keep in touch. XX

  • I think that’s the issue, if they could deal with immediately it’s done but the waiting… seems like forever! They still think it could be benign so that’s what I am holding on to! I have a date now.. 25/6 so loads of tests beforehand and meetings with anaesthetists etc….i think all surgery is scary tbh hope yours get shipped out quickly too xx

  • No sleep is the worst. I hope they manage to give you something in the meantime. Any more checks while you are waiting this month or just left in limbo?