8cm Complex Ovarian Cyst with CA125 of 51 - Absolutely terrified!!

I posted on here a few days ago after I found out unexpectedly that I had a large complex ovarian cyst. The consultant thinks it could a dermoid cyst but can't determine this for sure and is sending me for an MRI scan. In the meantime, my CA125 has come back raised at 51!!! I'm postmenopausal which just adds even more risk into the mix and I just feel like the odds are stacking up against me. I've had no symptoms and only got checked out because of a tiny amount of postmenopausal bleeding. I'm all over the place.

Parents
  • Hello jembers, I wrote on your first post as I also have an incidental mass very similar. 
    when I had my CA125 test I was told it is very likely for a raised amount even if only a cyst as it can signal other things like pelvic inflammatory. The levels can be in their hundreds just on a period so actually the fact that you went to the docs with some post menopause bleeding might actual explain the higher level.

    when is your MRI? I am also awaiting mine, I had to have further bloods taken on wed and awaiting my MRI now. 2-4 weeks. 
    more waiting…..

    keeping everything crossed for us! 

  • Hi cloudy1986, thanks so much for checking in with me, it means a lot. I've been given an appointment for 23rd December (Merry Christmas!!) I'm clearly on an urgent 2 week wait due to the nature of my cyst, my age and my blood test results. It's very hard not to fear the worst. I'm trying to remind myself that my situation could be completely benign, but due to my terrible habit of googling, I've convinced myself that it's something terrible! I am genuinely sending as many positive thoughts to both of us as I possibly can. X

  • Thank you! I'm hoping for a really weird cyst with teeth and hair and nails haha. And if it is cancer, then I can always be thankful my gallstone picked it up as I have had zero symptoms!!

    I've had bloods done and my ca-125 was 17 but the consultant said it's a terrible test so don't read too much into it either way.

  • And sorry I missed answering this one - I don't know when the PET scan is yet but it needs to happen in the next week so be in place before surgery.

    When I had my original cancer in 2013 I had an ultrasound and an MRI but no PET scan so it's a first for me.

    Being back in the waiting game with scanxiety ain't much fun after ten years though!

  • It's only when there's been a primary cancer and they're worried about recurrence or metastases. Tbh, the time gap seems unlikely to me but I'm glad they're being cautious because if they see anything on it they can give you good treatment options asap. Scanxiety is the pits. I also imagine the fact PET scans were traditionally more expensive than MRI factors in how they handle them. Plus you got to stay away from pregnant women and young kids for 5 hours after it. They take time for the radioisotope to get through your system so you're sitting for an hour before the scan is even started.

    My partner will be receiving them regularly even though his cancer seems to be under control just now because you can never be too careful with metastatic cancer. Trying to be cautiously hopeful about his future but he was diagnosed with stage 4 two years ago with no hope of cure but the pet scans show nothing active just now. It's really hard to process. Brains are totally not built to understand cancer intuitively in any sense. It's just too much to comprehend properly. I wish we could just conquer it for everyone.

  • These pesky ovarian cysts are a nightmare aren't they! Fingers crossed for all of us that they'll just be something that needs taking out and that will be it. I'm still waiting for results and this whole situation has consumed every minute of every day since I found out about it. I've had no symptoms, although now I know about it, I keep getting little aches and twinges that are probably psychological. My blood test was elevated which makes me even more worried and I'm constantly trying to tell myself that it doesn't necessarily mean anything sinister, but it's so hard not to think the worst. I imagine that given your circumstances, your concern is high. It's good to hear though that these things are taking seriously and the NHS will sweep in a get things organised in a timely manner to keep people safe. X

  • Thank you for answering all my endless questions, I’m a first timer here and so interested in people’s stories. I am so glad for you that everything is moving so quickly. It seems you will have answers pretty soon. Is it minor surgery you will need to get it out? Outpatient? 
    hope it goes smoothly, keep in touch when you know more and good luck for your scans x 

  • I had no idea PET scans had so much radiation. I am sorry to read about your partner, I didn’t realise as we had only previously discussed your own story. I’m glad you still visit this site, you are a wealth of knowledge here. What cancer was he diagnosed with? Thank you for all your answers, I have really appreciated the time you take to reply x 

  • Hello Jembers, still waiting results over here too. Doesn’t it feel like forever ago all this started? And it’s only a few weeks. Were you given any idea when you are likely to hear anything? The gynae secretary told me I was welcome to call on Friday 3rd and see if my scans had been looked at yet. She told me there were 3 pathways I could be allocated to:

    1 - cancer (app within 4 weeks)

    2 - needs further investigation, possible cancer (app within 3 months)

    3 - urgent but benign (app within 12 months) 

    4 - routine (app within 18 months) 

    I won’t know until they have reviewed but I can’t believe how long it will be either way! 

  • I'm going in for key hole outpatient surgery but with a possibility that it could turn in to open / inpatient surgery if the cyst is in an awkward place. Because I had a radical hysterectomy in 2013 it might not be straightforward as I kept my ovaries but everything else will have moved around and the ovaries tend to get 'stuck' over the years after the hysterectomy.

    So, I'm hoping the planned minor op will go ahead but preparing myself it might end up being a longer operation with an open incision.

    Lots of unknowns and variables and I won't know until I wake up!

    Something like 9/10 complex cysts are benign so I'm trying to stay positive and give myself a 'worry hour' every day to panic in. Then I get on with stuff

    It is the hardest period dealing with the uncertainties. A rollercoaster of emotions and appointments and reactions to deal with. We will all feel so much better once we have a plan and know for certain that I can assure you of x

  • With the exception of the 1st time frame, all the others are ridiculous!!! I cannot believe possible cancer could take 3 months. I really hope that's not true. I'm aware that you're in Scotland, so things might be slightly different to England, but even so... I've got it in my head that I'll hear something this week. I want to know, but I feel sick just thinking about it. How are you feeling?

  • I'm wishing you all the very best. Glad you know a bit more about what's happening, but yes, the unknown bits are horrendous. X

Reply Children
  • Have you had any word or updates since your MRI? Just checking in! I called yesterday, no one has looked at my updated MRI yet. To call back in a week. She said they would write out when have result but I’m too impatient as my last call I received the letter 3 weeks later so I’d rather keep calling. Hope you are ok. This waiting is very draining! 

  • Hi there. Nothing yet! I had assumed 1 to 2 weeks and on Monday it will be exactly 2 weeks. I've been checking my emails constantly and jumping every time my phone rings. It says on previous correspondence that they will write to me with the results, but I'm not sure whether that's how I'll hear back from them or not. It's exhausting and scary not knowing what's going on. How have you been feeling? I have good days and bad days. I've been reasonably calm the last couple of days, but have episodes where I'm literally shaky and feel sick. I've been lucky that my husband has been at home for the whole of Christmas, but he's back at work on Monday and it will just be me and the dog again! I keep trying to remind myself that apart from my mental state right now, I do not feel physically unwell. I still have no symptoms, I was oblivious to the existence of this cyst before I had my scan and I'm just going through the same process as everyone else in the same situation as me. At first I was terrified by the fact I'd been sent for an MRI, but from reading other people's posts, it seems they have had them too. I'm still concerned about my raised CA125, but again, it's not sky high and it's often raised in situations like this. I'm just trying to keep my head together as best I can. I hope you are too. X

  • Oh do let me know when you hear something. I am worried my letter will say something like come in for an appointment in a month or something with no answers. This waiting game has been endless. 
    I am mostly ok and calm, I also go back to work on Monday so I am a little anxious about that. Mostly getting a call whilst I’m in work, hence why I keep calling them. 
    I feel like I have recently put two and two together and come up with 100. I’ve had so many symptoms for a long time and now pinning them all on this cyst. Probably nothing to do with it but the cyst is now getting the blame for the sore back and GI problems etc! Hoping one operation sorts my whole life. Haha. I have to go for an endoscopy for my GI issues on the 20th and I am dreading that bit too. Stomach and ovarian cysts can be related but because they are not right next to each other have have said to still go. But then so can cancers so that sends me in a spiral too. 
    I had bloods taken again before my MRI but haven’t asked about my updated ca125. I feel to anxious to know! 
    hopefully your dog is good company and keep you out on walks etc to keep your mind off things while we wait! 

  • Hey, how you getting on? I'm still waiting for results and trying not to have a nervous breakdown! Twice this week (Monday and today) I've had emails saying I have new test results to view on the patient portal and when I've looked, it's been the same information I've already had at the beginning of December!! My heart was literally pounding out of my chest and I couldn't stop my hands from shaking. It's really wearing me down and I just feel like hibernating at the moment, especially with this horrible freezing weather. I'm beginning to wonder if I should ring them, although surely they would have contacted me by now if they have the information. I keep swinging between thinking it's something bad and telling myself I'll probably be fine. I'm full of aches and pains that didn't exist before I knew I had this problem and I keep thinking it's because my cyst is growing and getting worse!! How have you been feeling and coping with things? X

  • Hello, how funny I have just come on to write to you! I called last Friday and I called this morning, my New Year’s resolution was to be my biggest advocate for my own health so I’ve just decided to ring and apologise later if I’m annoying anyone :) 

    The gynae secretary today told me there is a letter for me and it’s been posted out and also sent to my GP. Thankfully I already had a GP at 3pm tomorrow so I think I am going to find something out tomorrow. She wouldn’t/couldn’t say anything over the phone other than it would come by letter. I am so glad I have that pre-booked appointment. On one hand I am so glad it’s been fast…and on the other. 
    I don’t know how I feel, I’m all over the place. 
    I have some other health issues with my stomach and on good days I feel like it’s unrelated and gallbladder or ulcer issues (being investigated separately) and on bad days I think I’ve got cancer and it’s spread. 
    My son has a snow day so that’s keeping me from just crawling under a blanket but also so glad to have been working at home when I got the call!

    I will keep you posted tomorrow when I’ve been in x

  • That's great that you'll hopefully be able to discuss something with your GP tomorrow. I'm sorry you've got other things going on at the same time and I can easily imagine that your mind will play tricks on you and lead you to think it's all connected. Most likely it's not! I'm also in this hideous no man's land where I'm sick of waiting but also terrified of finding out, just in case it's bad news. I have to keep reminding myself that all I can do is let them do their job and whatever it is will get sorted out. Easier said than done! I'll speak to you very soon. Take care X

  • I just wanted to update and let you know that I have no news. My letter had not made it to my GP nor myself since the gynaecology secretary called me yesterday. Still in limbo! X 

  • Hi cloudy, sorry to hear you're still in limbo. I suddenly received an update today at about 5pm this afternoon while I was out with my family. It seems that my cyst is a dermoid with nothing much of concern on MRI findings, but will require surgery which I already knew would be the case. It does have some atypical features, but I have been stepped down from the cancer pathway and I'm now waiting for further appointments to discuss treatment.

  • Aw that is the absolute best news! I am so happy for you. No concern. How are you feeling? Being stepped down must be such a relief. Your family must be so relieved too. Whisk surgery isn’t ideal, it’s actually so nice to know it’s nothing sinister. 

  • Thanks so much. I am feeling much calmer now, but don't think I'll truly relax until it's out and they've had a look at it. However, reading that I have been stepped down from the cancer pathway was a massive relief and a good sign that they are pretty confident that what they're dealing with is benign. I'm hoping that it will just be surgery to remove the ovaries and not a full blown hysterectomy, but obviously that will be explained at my clinic appointment. Just wondering now how long everything will take to get done. I'm sure you'll get your results very soon and find yourself in a very similar situation to me. The fact that they've told you they suspect a dermoid cyst would suggest it probably is and the further tests are just to break it all down and get the clearest picture of it that they can possibly can before removing it. Keep me posted. X