8cm Complex Ovarian Cyst with CA125 of 51 - Absolutely terrified!!

I posted on here a few days ago after I found out unexpectedly that I had a large complex ovarian cyst. The consultant thinks it could a dermoid cyst but can't determine this for sure and is sending me for an MRI scan. In the meantime, my CA125 has come back raised at 51!!! I'm postmenopausal which just adds even more risk into the mix and I just feel like the odds are stacking up against me. I've had no symptoms and only got checked out because of a tiny amount of postmenopausal bleeding. I'm all over the place.

Parents
  • Hello jembers, I wrote on your first post as I also have an incidental mass very similar. 
    when I had my CA125 test I was told it is very likely for a raised amount even if only a cyst as it can signal other things like pelvic inflammatory. The levels can be in their hundreds just on a period so actually the fact that you went to the docs with some post menopause bleeding might actual explain the higher level.

    when is your MRI? I am also awaiting mine, I had to have further bloods taken on wed and awaiting my MRI now. 2-4 weeks. 
    more waiting…..

    keeping everything crossed for us! 

  • Hi cloudy1986, thanks so much for checking in with me, it means a lot. I've been given an appointment for 23rd December (Merry Christmas!!) I'm clearly on an urgent 2 week wait due to the nature of my cyst, my age and my blood test results. It's very hard not to fear the worst. I'm trying to remind myself that my situation could be completely benign, but due to my terrible habit of googling, I've convinced myself that it's something terrible! I am genuinely sending as many positive thoughts to both of us as I possibly can. X

  • My timeline is just a bit weird as I had the CT already before even speaking with a gynae consultant! My previous history (2013 stage one cervical cancer) has meant they've moved fast as they can't tell if it's an ovarian cyst or a recurrence. So I'm a bit different to you both there. They want to get it out quickly so they can biopsy it and decided to run the PET scan concurrently rather than he me have surgery, wait weeks for results then wait for a scan date if it is a recurrence. The PET scan will hopefully be in place before the surgery so if it does show active cancer they can just biopsy the cyst to determine treatment. All a bit of a random order but I'm just going along with it .

  • Thank you! I'm hoping for a really weird cyst with teeth and hair and nails haha. And if it is cancer, then I can always be thankful my gallstone picked it up as I have had zero symptoms!!

    I've had bloods done and my ca-125 was 17 but the consultant said it's a terrible test so don't read too much into it either way.

  • And sorry I missed answering this one - I don't know when the PET scan is yet but it needs to happen in the next week so be in place before surgery.

    When I had my original cancer in 2013 I had an ultrasound and an MRI but no PET scan so it's a first for me.

    Being back in the waiting game with scanxiety ain't much fun after ten years though!

  • It's only when there's been a primary cancer and they're worried about recurrence or metastases. Tbh, the time gap seems unlikely to me but I'm glad they're being cautious because if they see anything on it they can give you good treatment options asap. Scanxiety is the pits. I also imagine the fact PET scans were traditionally more expensive than MRI factors in how they handle them. Plus you got to stay away from pregnant women and young kids for 5 hours after it. They take time for the radioisotope to get through your system so you're sitting for an hour before the scan is even started.

    My partner will be receiving them regularly even though his cancer seems to be under control just now because you can never be too careful with metastatic cancer. Trying to be cautiously hopeful about his future but he was diagnosed with stage 4 two years ago with no hope of cure but the pet scans show nothing active just now. It's really hard to process. Brains are totally not built to understand cancer intuitively in any sense. It's just too much to comprehend properly. I wish we could just conquer it for everyone.

  • These pesky ovarian cysts are a nightmare aren't they! Fingers crossed for all of us that they'll just be something that needs taking out and that will be it. I'm still waiting for results and this whole situation has consumed every minute of every day since I found out about it. I've had no symptoms, although now I know about it, I keep getting little aches and twinges that are probably psychological. My blood test was elevated which makes me even more worried and I'm constantly trying to tell myself that it doesn't necessarily mean anything sinister, but it's so hard not to think the worst. I imagine that given your circumstances, your concern is high. It's good to hear though that these things are taking seriously and the NHS will sweep in a get things organised in a timely manner to keep people safe. X

  • Thank you for answering all my endless questions, I’m a first timer here and so interested in people’s stories. I am so glad for you that everything is moving so quickly. It seems you will have answers pretty soon. Is it minor surgery you will need to get it out? Outpatient? 
    hope it goes smoothly, keep in touch when you know more and good luck for your scans x 

  • I had no idea PET scans had so much radiation. I am sorry to read about your partner, I didn’t realise as we had only previously discussed your own story. I’m glad you still visit this site, you are a wealth of knowledge here. What cancer was he diagnosed with? Thank you for all your answers, I have really appreciated the time you take to reply x 

  • Hello Jembers, still waiting results over here too. Doesn’t it feel like forever ago all this started? And it’s only a few weeks. Were you given any idea when you are likely to hear anything? The gynae secretary told me I was welcome to call on Friday 3rd and see if my scans had been looked at yet. She told me there were 3 pathways I could be allocated to:

    1 - cancer (app within 4 weeks)

    2 - needs further investigation, possible cancer (app within 3 months)

    3 - urgent but benign (app within 12 months) 

    4 - routine (app within 18 months) 

    I won’t know until they have reviewed but I can’t believe how long it will be either way! 

  • I'm going in for key hole outpatient surgery but with a possibility that it could turn in to open / inpatient surgery if the cyst is in an awkward place. Because I had a radical hysterectomy in 2013 it might not be straightforward as I kept my ovaries but everything else will have moved around and the ovaries tend to get 'stuck' over the years after the hysterectomy.

    So, I'm hoping the planned minor op will go ahead but preparing myself it might end up being a longer operation with an open incision.

    Lots of unknowns and variables and I won't know until I wake up!

    Something like 9/10 complex cysts are benign so I'm trying to stay positive and give myself a 'worry hour' every day to panic in. Then I get on with stuff

    It is the hardest period dealing with the uncertainties. A rollercoaster of emotions and appointments and reactions to deal with. We will all feel so much better once we have a plan and know for certain that I can assure you of x

  • With the exception of the 1st time frame, all the others are ridiculous!!! I cannot believe possible cancer could take 3 months. I really hope that's not true. I'm aware that you're in Scotland, so things might be slightly different to England, but even so... I've got it in my head that I'll hear something this week. I want to know, but I feel sick just thinking about it. How are you feeling?

Reply
  • With the exception of the 1st time frame, all the others are ridiculous!!! I cannot believe possible cancer could take 3 months. I really hope that's not true. I'm aware that you're in Scotland, so things might be slightly different to England, but even so... I've got it in my head that I'll hear something this week. I want to know, but I feel sick just thinking about it. How are you feeling?

Children
  • My mum's in Scotland and her endometrial cancer took months for her hysterectomy then there's been no decent follow up. They need targets like in England but I've found that there's more medically trained professionals here as I'm an hour away from London so I think it makes things run smoother when you can attract the personnel.

  • Aren’t they. I even thought someone telling me I had 100% cancer, then having to wait a month to see someone seems just such a long time. All of those timescales are just so long. I will be so anxious to be on any of them with that time frame! 
    yes I’m in Scotland, and hopeful to hear something on Friday too. Really hoping this is our last week in the dark. It’s been a long wait to get this far. 
    the secretary also told me it could be a phone call, a letter or a request to contact my GP for results. My anxiety was through the roof not knowing how I’ll hear or what that meant so she said I could call on Friday next week for an update so it was a little more in my hands. I still don’t think she will tell me much over the phone, either it’s been looked at or has not. 
    im still anxious, just desperate for this bit of waiting to be over. I don’t want to be told it’s something sinister of course, but I certainly feel this not knowing and having no control or plan is awful too. I wonder if in some months I will look back and wish to be back where I am now with not knowing for certain! X