What's the best thing to do??

hi, I'm new here.  I'm living in Sydney, originally from London.  My 65 year old mum who lives in London was diagnosed with bowel cancer T4 N1 M0 in April .  She's only managed to have 3 chemos as she has been knocked back wth UTI's and infections.  She needs an operation to reduce the tumor (full hysterectomy, colon removed, and parts of her bladder, rectum, cervix and stomach.  The tumor is attached to all of these. Had some terrible news today, after spending the last few days in hospital with pulmonary embolisms the CT scan has shown a mass in the liver, secondary bowel cancer.  Can anyone relate? Give advice? I visited her 3 weeks ago and it was so wonderful to spend time with her, cook for her, look after her. She doesn't want me coming back until she has the operation but I want to go back now. I got 3 kids here and a full time job, my kids are self sufficient and their dad is great, my boss is understanding so there are no worries about me flying over. My sister is throwing around scathing comments about the burden she has looking after mum and how I'm not helping at all. It's so hard being thousands of miles away and feeling that I'm not helping. Any advice on mums condition and whether I should go back please help

 

Parents
  • Hi there this is a hard one.... But speaking from the heart if you can possibly go back I would urge you to do it.
    Not looking on the dark side but things can progress quickly in some cases and you don't want to have any regrets. 
    Sounds like your hubby and kids are ok to manage by themselves which is great.
    I live in Adelaide (UK born) and would be off like a shot if my mum was diagnosed come hell or high water.
    Sorry your sis is reacting the way she is but it's understandable and could be out of fear/frustration..
    Hope this helps
    Hugs
    Kathy x
     

  •  

    Thanks Kathy,  I think I will wait until Friday as mum has a meeting with her consultant and a PET scan. It will hopefully be decided what treatment plan will be put in place. It will be clearer for me to decide when to go back. It's a waiting game for us. Just want to be there to hug her and give her my support

    Coolcoco

Reply
  •  

    Thanks Kathy,  I think I will wait until Friday as mum has a meeting with her consultant and a PET scan. It will hopefully be decided what treatment plan will be put in place. It will be clearer for me to decide when to go back. It's a waiting game for us. Just want to be there to hug her and give her my support

    Coolcoco

Children
  • Hi Coolcoco,
    Sounds like a good plan.  Think scans can take a fortnight for results to come back but at least you will know mums prognosis.  The waiting is a real pain....
    Hugs are the best.  Nothing can take their place, words help but hugs....
    You will find the folk on this website are truly amazing and of such tremendous support.
    Take care
    Kathy x