8cm Complex Ovarian Cyst with CA125 of 51 - Absolutely terrified!!

I posted on here a few days ago after I found out unexpectedly that I had a large complex ovarian cyst. The consultant thinks it could a dermoid cyst but can't determine this for sure and is sending me for an MRI scan. In the meantime, my CA125 has come back raised at 51!!! I'm postmenopausal which just adds even more risk into the mix and I just feel like the odds are stacking up against me. I've had no symptoms and only got checked out because of a tiny amount of postmenopausal bleeding. I'm all over the place.

Parents
  • Hello jembers, I wrote on your first post as I also have an incidental mass very similar. 
    when I had my CA125 test I was told it is very likely for a raised amount even if only a cyst as it can signal other things like pelvic inflammatory. The levels can be in their hundreds just on a period so actually the fact that you went to the docs with some post menopause bleeding might actual explain the higher level.

    when is your MRI? I am also awaiting mine, I had to have further bloods taken on wed and awaiting my MRI now. 2-4 weeks. 
    more waiting…..

    keeping everything crossed for us! 

  • Hi cloudy1986, thanks so much for checking in with me, it means a lot. I've been given an appointment for 23rd December (Merry Christmas!!) I'm clearly on an urgent 2 week wait due to the nature of my cyst, my age and my blood test results. It's very hard not to fear the worst. I'm trying to remind myself that my situation could be completely benign, but due to my terrible habit of googling, I've convinced myself that it's something terrible! I am genuinely sending as many positive thoughts to both of us as I possibly can. X

  • It's reasonable to be upset. Mine was over 10 cm with similar ca125 but it wasn't cancer. They treated me to both MRI with contrast and CT with contrast. I think they can see different things clearer on each type. It wasn't cancer for me and I hope it won't be for you. Deep breaths, you've got this x

  • I think you're still more or less following the same path that I was on, and you'll continue to be treated as urgent until they've had a good look at everything. I don't think you should read too much into the decision to do a CT scan rather than an MRI. Either method will give them the same information, but what I do know is that a CT scan costs less than an MRI scan, so maybe that's the reason. X

  • Going on my experience… it really is better to be safe, I was fast tracked and had CT with contrast and it showed a pretty large cyst, I have now had the op and recovering at home..,had it been delayed it could have been a lot worse hun x

  • Bless you, try not to panic away your holiday. I echo what others have said - a CT scan is faster and a lot cheaper for the nhs than an mri.  A nurse friend of mine told me that a Ct scan shows the edges of things and an mri shows the inside of things, so if someone is trying to determine what a tumour is - it’s more likely to be an mri, and if someone is trying to determine size, location it would be a CT. 
    my dermot was almost 9cm and out he came no problem. 7 weeks post op now, still no histology but hoping the delay is a good thing. The fear while he was inside didn’t really fade so I know how you feel, it’s ok to be stressed and anxious. You’ve got this. Step by step x 

  • 16kg loss goodness! Boobs are always the first to go when I lose weight, how unfair. Ignore daft husband, what are they like! 
    when do you get to see someone medically next?x 

  • Any news on your histology yet? I’m so keen to close this chapter. I wish they would come through! Can’t believe next month it’s a year since we started our journeys! How’s your recovery going? I’m fully healed from what I can tell, horse riding was my last thing to attempt and I did it pain free last week. I am being very lazy and using my operation as an excuse not to attend the gym. I must stop that! X 

  • Ha I know he makes me laugh though so that’s a good thing! Just waiting to hear from oncology now… hopefully not too long to wait x

  • Thanks every one for the reassurance scan day today back after a lovely holiday. You are all so amazing reading your journeys so far I just want this to be over it’ the waiting and not hearing that’s the worst but knowing this platform is here is comforting. Hope you are all healing well. 

  • hope you coped well with the scan and that the results will be reassuring xx

  • Ola ladies… had my histology through … unfortunately it’s not the best news … in that it is cancer but… it’s stage 1 and I start chemotherapy on 15/9 … so good that it’s caught early and the chemo is basically belt and braces… it’s also not the common type (flash me) called mucinous. I have recovered from surgery so this is just another bump to get over … also lost some weight so that’s another plus! Xx

Reply
  • Ola ladies… had my histology through … unfortunately it’s not the best news … in that it is cancer but… it’s stage 1 and I start chemotherapy on 15/9 … so good that it’s caught early and the chemo is basically belt and braces… it’s also not the common type (flash me) called mucinous. I have recovered from surgery so this is just another bump to get over … also lost some weight so that’s another plus! Xx

Children