8cm Complex Ovarian Cyst with CA125 of 51 - Absolutely terrified!!

I posted on here a few days ago after I found out unexpectedly that I had a large complex ovarian cyst. The consultant thinks it could a dermoid cyst but can't determine this for sure and is sending me for an MRI scan. In the meantime, my CA125 has come back raised at 51!!! I'm postmenopausal which just adds even more risk into the mix and I just feel like the odds are stacking up against me. I've had no symptoms and only got checked out because of a tiny amount of postmenopausal bleeding. I'm all over the place.

Parents
  • Hello jembers, I wrote on your first post as I also have an incidental mass very similar. 
    when I had my CA125 test I was told it is very likely for a raised amount even if only a cyst as it can signal other things like pelvic inflammatory. The levels can be in their hundreds just on a period so actually the fact that you went to the docs with some post menopause bleeding might actual explain the higher level.

    when is your MRI? I am also awaiting mine, I had to have further bloods taken on wed and awaiting my MRI now. 2-4 weeks. 
    more waiting…..

    keeping everything crossed for us! 

  • Hi cloudy1986, thanks so much for checking in with me, it means a lot. I've been given an appointment for 23rd December (Merry Christmas!!) I'm clearly on an urgent 2 week wait due to the nature of my cyst, my age and my blood test results. It's very hard not to fear the worst. I'm trying to remind myself that my situation could be completely benign, but due to my terrible habit of googling, I've convinced myself that it's something terrible! I am genuinely sending as many positive thoughts to both of us as I possibly can. X

  • I nicknamed mine dermot, I think I read it on another forum and it made me laugh so that was its name until eviction day. 
    As you have read through the thread you will know our stories and where we are. it’s a real positive to have already been told that it’s a complex cyst. I would assume next stage for you might be an MRI but maybe not if they can see it well on an ultrasound. I got my MRI as they weren’t sure what it was and also to determine what could be saved and what couldn’t. Funnily enough I was told that I would certainly lose my ovary and then the surgeon saved it in surgery so you can only tell so much  until they are in there in person. Did they tell you the size of your cyst? That will determine some of your plans moving forward too whether Igemma will also be getting evicted! Mine had long hair, I don’t know why I find that so freaky!x 

  • Hello ladies,

    I posted on this thread earlier in the year but dipped out as I thought my issue was resolved.

    I had my first MRI in June which showed a 35mm cystic lesion pressing against the ureter and overlaying the obturator muscle. This is very confusing as they removed a larger mass during my laparotomy which was benign. The MRI report suggests that this is the very cyst that showed up on the CT scan in December which kicked this off. It also has malignant looking features.

    So I'm back to square one as they aren't sure they got what they thought they were getting?! 

    I'm awaiting a transvaginal ultrasound guided biopsy. Had two failed attempts already - first of all they ran out of needles so couldn't do it. The following week I was all ready to go but I found it incredibly painful so I'm having it done under GA instead.

    What a palaver!

  • Goodness what a palaver indeed. To get a laparotomy and didn’t get the thing they went in for! What a shame for you. So glad they seem to be trying to resolve and quickly though. Can I ask - why are they bothering with a biopsy instead of removal? Especially if you are being put under anyway? Hope you are ok x

  • They know they went as far as they could with the surgery due to me already having extensive pelvic adhesions. So if it was there during my op, they certainly couldn't see it or get to it.

    They are honestly a bit clueless about it but thought doing a biopsy in a less invasive way would suffice and spare me more surgery. 

    If they can't get the biopsy this way they'll rescan me with MRI asap and go from there 

    I'm ok, just a bit fed up with it going on for so long now. I'm hoping they'll get to the bottom of it asap.

    How are you doing now?x

  • Keeping everything crossed for you. That all makes so much sense. It must be very hidden with adhesions for them not to be able to see it. Keep us posted on how it goes. 
    all fine here, still waiting on histology results but feeling very well recovered from the actual surgery x 

  • Thank you i have had my Fast Track cancer referral

    confirmed on the NHS app today so hopefully see someone before I go on holiday on 20th August. I just can’t think straight but guess that’s normal. Omg your Dermot had long hair that is freaky. How long does the histology take normally ? Sounds like I am in for the long haul here.

  • Hi, I'm sorry you're in this boat. It takes about 4 week+ generally. It's the worst wait. It's horrible. We're here when you need support so if you have a wobble definitely post about it. The ladies on this thread are so very kind and cloudy, in particular, responds really fast (not to put pressure on you, cloudy.)

    Offering a big virtual hug  

  • Oh, Jeh, this sounds so difficult to be living through. If it's any comfort to you (and doesn't gross you out too much) the malignant features in my cyst were teeth and they made my cyst look like it might be an immature teratoma.

    I'm up in the middle of the night so I'm only half following what people have written but from experience speaking with people with adhesions they're hard enough to deal with without them affecting the diagnostic options the doctors decide. I think I've got some minor adhesions as the internal scars are uncomfortable when I have a bowel transition but I've known people who suffer pain with them.

    I really hope the docs get their finger out soon and figure out a good course of action to get the necessary pathology. Doing the cancer limbo shouldn't take so long and I'm sorry x

  • Haha no pressure at all, I’ve gone from working 3 jobs to being signed off for 4 weeks so I have another few days with lots of time on my hands. How are you doing? Is your eating getting easier?x

Reply Children
No Data