8cm Complex Ovarian Cyst with CA125 of 51 - Absolutely terrified!!

I posted on here a few days ago after I found out unexpectedly that I had a large complex ovarian cyst. The consultant thinks it could a dermoid cyst but can't determine this for sure and is sending me for an MRI scan. In the meantime, my CA125 has come back raised at 51!!! I'm postmenopausal which just adds even more risk into the mix and I just feel like the odds are stacking up against me. I've had no symptoms and only got checked out because of a tiny amount of postmenopausal bleeding. I'm all over the place.

Parents
  • Hello jembers, I wrote on your first post as I also have an incidental mass very similar. 
    when I had my CA125 test I was told it is very likely for a raised amount even if only a cyst as it can signal other things like pelvic inflammatory. The levels can be in their hundreds just on a period so actually the fact that you went to the docs with some post menopause bleeding might actual explain the higher level.

    when is your MRI? I am also awaiting mine, I had to have further bloods taken on wed and awaiting my MRI now. 2-4 weeks. 
    more waiting…..

    keeping everything crossed for us! 

  • Hi cloudy1986, thanks so much for checking in with me, it means a lot. I've been given an appointment for 23rd December (Merry Christmas!!) I'm clearly on an urgent 2 week wait due to the nature of my cyst, my age and my blood test results. It's very hard not to fear the worst. I'm trying to remind myself that my situation could be completely benign, but due to my terrible habit of googling, I've convinced myself that it's something terrible! I am genuinely sending as many positive thoughts to both of us as I possibly can. X

  • He's seeing the oncologist tomorrow. We always end up squabbling when he's stressed about health. I dunno, he gets personal so it's hard. I've triggered it this time though. I over reacted because my mind just isn't coping. I thought he might be a miracle and stay clear but... Also got my own health worries as I'm having swallowing difficulties which is making me cough all the time. Might be a side effect of my medication but I don't know. I just want my kids' dad to be okay.

  • Did they give you the wash stuff? My pre op they did but I've known lots of people to either not be told about it or not because given it.

  • My pre op she didn’t even seem to know what my op was! It was a height weight and some questions that will go to an anaesthesiologist. So no, please enlighten me! 
    Will you to the oncologist too with him or does he like to go alone? 
    ask your GP for an endoscopy if you are having trouble swallowing. I am sure this stress isn’t helping but don’t let them write it off as that!x

  • There's a lotion called octenisan that you use like shower gel before the op to help kill bugs but I don't know how vital it is as so many aren't advised to use it.

    His mum's going with him. Trying not to feel hurt by it but it's not practical either as I need to know the ins and outs.

    I started having problems before the new lump appeared. It's really weird. I hope it's stress.

  • I'm sorry there's the additional complication of fluid. That must add additional concern. I guess you have to wait for the consultant to feed back on that. Huge hug, stay strong xx

  • Thanks Lyns, its weird as CT stated no fluid and ultrasound report does but as you say I have to wait for MDT, I called the secretary and she has promised to call me as soon as she hears anything which is great - and you too hun xx

  • I am sure he is as stressed as you are, all u can do is be there and support him x

  • Oh, absolutely he's stressed. It's horrible for him. He's to have it removed and biopsied. No idea of the time frame.

  • He sees the plastic surgeon next week. I've got an urgent cancer referral for an endoscopy but she said there's a million things it could be she just wants it checked fast. I'm not thinking cancer. Just something weird and am grateful for her attentiveness.

  • So Consultant called me, no sign of anything outside of the cyst but she is still calling it suspicious - operation will hopefully be before end May but  need another CT scan to check my clots in the lungs - hoping they have reduced as thats just another complication x

Reply
  • So Consultant called me, no sign of anything outside of the cyst but she is still calling it suspicious - operation will hopefully be before end May but  need another CT scan to check my clots in the lungs - hoping they have reduced as thats just another complication x

Children
  • I hope the clots have reduced. Sounds like a proper additional stress. Sounds like they're really fast tracking you if it's the end of May. I wish all these ops and tests were faster even when they're getting there. I just wish it were in and out so there wasn't so much worry.

  • Gosh that is so fast. I wonder what is making them say suspicious. Maybe it’s size? What about the fluid in your abdomen? What happens with that? My cyst was found in October and I think I will be lucky to have an op within 12 months even though it causes a bit of bother. So I am happy for you getting yours out super quick. Do you have to get the full laparotomy?x

  • apparently these complex ones can be denses tissue - she also said it maybe benign but I guess they err on the side of caution! I asked about the ascities, she said that can also be common with a cyst or the cyst maybe leaking - i think its only because its so large and probably the cause of my PE as its suppressing the vena cava - she said they had a traget date to get rid which is 4 weeks - I assume its because its a little suss? - my operation will be sternum to bikini line - about 40 cms - eek - wishing you all a wonderful bank holiday weekend x

  • Wow, mine was below my belly button to my bikini line. I guess they need the room to handle such a big mass. I'm sorry it has to be so big.

  • I had from my pubis to above my belly button, about 10 inches and 32 staples in February. It's healing really nicely now! It's a bit wiggly as I had a laproscopy in Jan and two previous abdominal surgeries over the years. Wishing you best of luck for the op and I hope you can get some benign answers. They kept telling me mine was cancer, even the day after the surgery they were so sure it was....but it turned out not to be! X

  • Goodness that’s a big op. Hope your recovery is ok. Get yourself prepped to make life as easy as possible. Ah that makes sense with it leaking, how long after the op will you get answers? You seem so positive, you will smash this with a good outlook on life like you do x 

  • Glad things are moving nice and quickly for you. It's good to know that if there's any question mark over what they're dealing with, they'll err on the side of caution. I'm not going to lie, a 40cm incision sounds a bit scary, but ultimately, it's got to come out and if that's what it takes, I wouldn't care! As always, I'm keeping everything crossed for you. Hope you can enjoy some rest and relaxation this weekend. X

  • definitely - just want it gone now - I have a CT and a heart scan on Thursday and then its back to MDT to get a date planned - its just a huge worry x

  • You poor thing. The waiting is awful. I hope they book you in ASAP.

  • waiting for test results now - then back to MDT for hopefully a date x