8cm Complex Ovarian Cyst with CA125 of 51 - Absolutely terrified!!

I posted on here a few days ago after I found out unexpectedly that I had a large complex ovarian cyst. The consultant thinks it could a dermoid cyst but can't determine this for sure and is sending me for an MRI scan. In the meantime, my CA125 has come back raised at 51!!! I'm postmenopausal which just adds even more risk into the mix and I just feel like the odds are stacking up against me. I've had no symptoms and only got checked out because of a tiny amount of postmenopausal bleeding. I'm all over the place.

Parents
  • Hello jembers, I wrote on your first post as I also have an incidental mass very similar. 
    when I had my CA125 test I was told it is very likely for a raised amount even if only a cyst as it can signal other things like pelvic inflammatory. The levels can be in their hundreds just on a period so actually the fact that you went to the docs with some post menopause bleeding might actual explain the higher level.

    when is your MRI? I am also awaiting mine, I had to have further bloods taken on wed and awaiting my MRI now. 2-4 weeks. 
    more waiting…..

    keeping everything crossed for us! 

  • Hi cloudy1986, thanks so much for checking in with me, it means a lot. I've been given an appointment for 23rd December (Merry Christmas!!) I'm clearly on an urgent 2 week wait due to the nature of my cyst, my age and my blood test results. It's very hard not to fear the worst. I'm trying to remind myself that my situation could be completely benign, but due to my terrible habit of googling, I've convinced myself that it's something terrible! I am genuinely sending as many positive thoughts to both of us as I possibly can. X

  • I’m so glad for us both that we hopefully don’t have anything sinister to worry about that is of course the main thing. Just surgery to go! Keep me posted when you get any further update, I’ll keep you in the loop when I hear anything further. I feel like I’ve just been on an emotional rollercoaster! I am also in the same boat about a holiday, would love to book but holding off just in case I got a date to go and see them, hopefully that won’t be too long!x 

  • I was thinking about you both at the time you posted today, cloudy. The operation wasn't as bad as I imagined it would be but I had a vertical incision to get my monster 10 cm cyst out. Recovery was faster than I expected too. Hoping yours both go smoothly and you both recover quickly x

  • Hello! 
    just checking in to see how you are doing? Have you had any update on anything yet? Still holding off on bookings holiday? 
    hope you are doing ok! Think of you often! 

  • So lovely to hear from you. My mind wandered back to our chats on here this weekend funnily enough and I've been wondering too if you've had any appointments through yet. I've heard absolutely nothing since I got my scan results on 9th January. In one way I'm relieved that I'm not of any great concern and I've been put on the routine pathway, on the other hand, I want to put all this behind me and move on. Thankfully, my anxiety and stress has calmed right down, however, I still have the odd wobble now and then and I'll no doubt feel sick with nerves when I finally get my appointment. How's it been for you? I hope you've been feeling ok X

  • Hello! 
    Oh I’m so glad to read you are feeling more relaxed with things. I wonder when you will hear something. Are you still holding off booking a trip? 
    I actually seen my mri the other day, my gp showed me it, it is huge, or certainly looks it, takes up a third of my pelvis although measurements are as before, 76x83x40something. It was so strange to see. No teeth! Haha.

    i got an apology letter for the mistake I had in receiving wrong info, they said because of it they would try fit me in sooner. I am hopeful to at least have a chat with someone by end of April! 
    keep in touch x 

  • Still holding off booking a holiday at the moment. If waiting times in England are accurate, I'm assuming I will get my op in May. I'm not sure how long prior to surgery they call you in to discuss things, but I'd like to think I'll get some prior warning and not just receive a letter telling me it's happening next week! I also need to get some idea of the recovery time before I start planning anything. Take it easy and keep me posted. X

  • Is that waiting time for the actual surgery or to just get the meeting? I was told I would need to go in and see a consultant for a chat before. 
    I so hope they can do it keyhole, I have a 10 year old so can’t be off my feet for too long! 
    I’ll keep in touch x 

  • I was doing the school run but nothing heavy after a couple of weeks. After 4 I was fairly normal.

  • Mine was 10cm so they couldn't do it keyhole. I had a vertical incision and it's not so bad a scar now. I had a 3 year old and a 6 year old. I don't know what I'd have done without my partner.

  • You know what?, I'm not entirely sure whether that's 18 weeks to get surgery or 18 weeks to see someone about the surgery!!! Lets hope it's to get actual surgery. Hey Lyns21! Thanks for the info. I'm hoping mine will be keyhole. Because I'm 52 and have gone through the menopause already, I think they'll take both my ovaries and fallopian tubes. Hopefully, the recovery time will be fairly swift. I'm a healthy weight and reasonably active, so I'd like to think that will help. X

Reply
  • You know what?, I'm not entirely sure whether that's 18 weeks to get surgery or 18 weeks to see someone about the surgery!!! Lets hope it's to get actual surgery. Hey Lyns21! Thanks for the info. I'm hoping mine will be keyhole. Because I'm 52 and have gone through the menopause already, I think they'll take both my ovaries and fallopian tubes. Hopefully, the recovery time will be fairly swift. I'm a healthy weight and reasonably active, so I'd like to think that will help. X

Children