8cm Complex Ovarian Cyst with CA125 of 51 - Absolutely terrified!!

I posted on here a few days ago after I found out unexpectedly that I had a large complex ovarian cyst. The consultant thinks it could a dermoid cyst but can't determine this for sure and is sending me for an MRI scan. In the meantime, my CA125 has come back raised at 51!!! I'm postmenopausal which just adds even more risk into the mix and I just feel like the odds are stacking up against me. I've had no symptoms and only got checked out because of a tiny amount of postmenopausal bleeding. I'm all over the place.

Parents
  • Hello jembers, I wrote on your first post as I also have an incidental mass very similar. 
    when I had my CA125 test I was told it is very likely for a raised amount even if only a cyst as it can signal other things like pelvic inflammatory. The levels can be in their hundreds just on a period so actually the fact that you went to the docs with some post menopause bleeding might actual explain the higher level.

    when is your MRI? I am also awaiting mine, I had to have further bloods taken on wed and awaiting my MRI now. 2-4 weeks. 
    more waiting…..

    keeping everything crossed for us! 

  • Hi cloudy1986, thanks so much for checking in with me, it means a lot. I've been given an appointment for 23rd December (Merry Christmas!!) I'm clearly on an urgent 2 week wait due to the nature of my cyst, my age and my blood test results. It's very hard not to fear the worst. I'm trying to remind myself that my situation could be completely benign, but due to my terrible habit of googling, I've convinced myself that it's something terrible! I am genuinely sending as many positive thoughts to both of us as I possibly can. X

  • Hi, I’m sorry it’s taken me so long to get in touch, what a wild ride I’ve been having with this. Have you had any word? Has life gone back to normal yet? 
    I received my letter from gynae last week, it said it’s a fibroid in the pelvic cavity and would be stepped down to a routine appointment. I then had an appointment with my GP which was unrelated and she just so happened to ask when I was due my follow up with gynae, I showed her my letter and said I had asked and it was 18-24 months. 
    she was so shocked and said this is not what was reported at all and my letter was incorrect (cue another panic) and she showed me the result on the radiologist feedback on her screen - it is reported as a dermoid cyst or mature teratoma, it has the size on it 76x82x47mm, it’s plainly states it is benign in character (which is wonderful) but that it will require surgery and removal of my left ovary. 
    she is absolutely horrified I have received the wrong info and has emailed to clarify. I am pretty concerned about what would have happened had she not just asked me in conversation. 
    I’m still in limbo of what now! 
    hope you are ok x 

  • Hi there, so lovely to hear from you. I'm still waiting to see them back at the clinic. As far as I can see, routine surgery waiting times are supposed to be no longer than 18 weeks, but who knows?  I can't believe they messed up your information like that! It's not what you need when you've spent weeks feeling terrified about the situation. Great to hear it appears benign. It's such a relief when you read those words. My report didn't actually use the word benign, it just said there was no concerning postcontrast enhancement and that no overt concerning features have been seen. I feel much less stressed about it now, although I won't completely relax until it's out and it's been biopsied. I think because I've already gone through the menopause, they'll remove both my ovaries and fallopian tubes. That seems to be the usual course of action in post menopausal patients. I just feel a bit in limbo because I've no idea when I'll get my appointment. We were planning on booking a holiday, but have put it on hold until we know what's happening. It will take several weeks to fully recover from the surgery as well. I'll be so glad to put all this behind me. I'm sure you probably feel the same. X

  • I’m so glad for us both that we hopefully don’t have anything sinister to worry about that is of course the main thing. Just surgery to go! Keep me posted when you get any further update, I’ll keep you in the loop when I hear anything further. I feel like I’ve just been on an emotional rollercoaster! I am also in the same boat about a holiday, would love to book but holding off just in case I got a date to go and see them, hopefully that won’t be too long!x 

  • I was thinking about you both at the time you posted today, cloudy. The operation wasn't as bad as I imagined it would be but I had a vertical incision to get my monster 10 cm cyst out. Recovery was faster than I expected too. Hoping yours both go smoothly and you both recover quickly x

  • Hello! 
    just checking in to see how you are doing? Have you had any update on anything yet? Still holding off on bookings holiday? 
    hope you are doing ok! Think of you often! 

  • So lovely to hear from you. My mind wandered back to our chats on here this weekend funnily enough and I've been wondering too if you've had any appointments through yet. I've heard absolutely nothing since I got my scan results on 9th January. In one way I'm relieved that I'm not of any great concern and I've been put on the routine pathway, on the other hand, I want to put all this behind me and move on. Thankfully, my anxiety and stress has calmed right down, however, I still have the odd wobble now and then and I'll no doubt feel sick with nerves when I finally get my appointment. How's it been for you? I hope you've been feeling ok X

  • Hello! 
    Oh I’m so glad to read you are feeling more relaxed with things. I wonder when you will hear something. Are you still holding off booking a trip? 
    I actually seen my mri the other day, my gp showed me it, it is huge, or certainly looks it, takes up a third of my pelvis although measurements are as before, 76x83x40something. It was so strange to see. No teeth! Haha.

    i got an apology letter for the mistake I had in receiving wrong info, they said because of it they would try fit me in sooner. I am hopeful to at least have a chat with someone by end of April! 
    keep in touch x 

  • Still holding off booking a holiday at the moment. If waiting times in England are accurate, I'm assuming I will get my op in May. I'm not sure how long prior to surgery they call you in to discuss things, but I'd like to think I'll get some prior warning and not just receive a letter telling me it's happening next week! I also need to get some idea of the recovery time before I start planning anything. Take it easy and keep me posted. X

  • Is that waiting time for the actual surgery or to just get the meeting? I was told I would need to go in and see a consultant for a chat before. 
    I so hope they can do it keyhole, I have a 10 year old so can’t be off my feet for too long! 
    I’ll keep in touch x 

  • I was doing the school run but nothing heavy after a couple of weeks. After 4 I was fairly normal.

Reply Children
No Data