Had breast biopsy today

I had my  urgent 2 week referral appointment today for a breast lump I found 5 weeks ago . My initial consultation agreed there was a lump - he didn’t think it was anything sinister but sent me for an ultrasound to confirm and said he would be surprised if I needed a biopsy.

I was feeling really happy to hear this positive news so was absolutely shocked whilst having the ultra sound that they were concerned and I had to have 2 core biopsies taken and a marker placed  and another mammogram.  I was told It definitely is not a cyst as it is solid about 2-3 cm.. My lymph nodes are also clear which is a positive.

I burst into tears with anxiety .test results are 4- 6 weeks .I  also have a  family holiday in 3 weeks to Italy and I’m thinking of cancelling

The anaesthetic is wearing off now and it’s so painful- it’s almost under my armpit so I keep bumping it .

has anyone had anything similar? And did they get the results quicker ?  Thanks in advance x

Parents
  • Hi I had to re read this post as it was like I’d written it myself. I am going through the same, and like your consultant mine too wasn’t concerned- that changed with the radiologist when he saw it was solid! 

    I had 3 biopsies on that area and whilst doing them they took pictures with the screen I think, which concerned me more.

    My anxiety is always there although sometimes I’m strong and other times just crying. 


    I just wanted you to know you’re not alone and feel free to get in touch if you need someone to wait this out with xxx

  • Thankyou so much - thanks for your concern whilst you are experiencing the same . I’m trying to remain positive . I had a clear mammogram in January so it’s all come as a shock , I don’t know about you but I’m black and blue from the biopsy , the steri strips have come off now - they were in a funny position near my armpit and came off in this heat . My lump feels like it’s  got bigger too - but read this I’d normal after a core biopsy . My holiday is a week on Sunday - I think I’m going to cancel it , my anxiety is through the roof Xx thanks for reaching out and I hope you get answers very soon xxx 

  • I've been thinking about you today. What did the doctor say about the rash? 

    I am a lot more comfortable without the drain but surgical cut seems a more vulnerable with only steri strips on it rather than the amazing bandage they had on. Xx

  • Thank you so much for your thoughts, the consultant was very patient with me - he could tell what a state I had worked myself into. He looked at my rash and had a feel, he isn’t concerned at all. He said as a breast consultant of 45 years he has seen many ibc cases and isn’t concerned about how my rash looks, he thinks it’s a reaction to something to do with the biopsy.

    Ohh yes the steri strips don’t feel like they cover enough do they, although I guess it’s important to let it breathe. I am so glad you’re feeling a lot more comfortable xxx 

  • I have an appointment this saturday to discuss my treatment. So things are moving fast. I had my scans monday so im guessing they have got everything sent to them x

  • Hello, how are you feeling?? I got my appointment this saturday to discuss my treatment..i had scans monday so i am guessing they have been sent to them as i think the nurse said they wont see me until mri and ct ? Xx

  • Hi. Oh that's really good and quick!  Fingers crossed you can start treatment soon. 

    I'm doing OK thanks. I'm a bit frustrated that I have to wait until 5 August for the post surgery results. Just yet another wait. 

  • Fingers crossed for you! Are you back at home now? 

    Did they say same to you too? Cant discuss treatment until you have your ct scan etc? Just looking for more reassurance i think xx

  • Yes I was back home the same day fortunately. 

    Yes, after the biopsy result I had to have a breast MRI and mammograms before any plan was discussed. 

    Then at that results meeting said that the plan was lumpectomy and partial reconstruction with radiotherapy OR mastectomy and delayed reconstruction but no radiotherapy.  But they had to do the liver MRI first as they saw something on my liver and needed to check what it was but they were fairly confident it was cysts. We pencilled in surgery in the meantime. Does that make sense? Xx

  •   good luck, will be thinking of you xx

  • Who gave you the results? Was it the hospital when discussing treatment or was it another appointment with your breast consultant? X

Reply Children
No Data