Newbie…unsure/in denial?

Hi all,

First post so would really appreciate your thoughts. I've got a results appointment this Friday after waiting nearly 3 weeks since visiting the 'one stop shop' and this week is dragging as you can imagine. 

In short, went to GP after finding a lump in my left boob and was seen in the breast clinic 3 days later (so lucky I know to be seen so quickly). Not long into the ultrasound the consultant said he thought  the lump was suspicious, and later said the mammogram done that day confirmed the same. They did biopsies of the lump and lymph node...and put a metal clip marker in...and I'm currently awaiting the results.
He told me on the same day they would look to do a reduction though at this stage not clear whether chemo would be done before or after. 

So...I would be so grateful for your insight into what questions I should be asking on Friday. As you can probably tell this is all completely new and unfamiliar territory. This time a fortnight ago I was planning my return to work after a year on maternity leave, and of course this is all now up in the air. I have a baby girl who has just had her first birthday. 
 

Also (perhaps I'm in a bit of denial!), what are the chances the biopsy could come back clear? That is, can false positives happen whereby the ultrasounds and mammograms show something suspicious that actually turns out to be benign? I have no first degree relatives with BC and am 33. 
 

Thanks for taking the time to read this! Xx

Parents
  • Hiya, this sounds very similar to what happened to me when I went to the clinic although they didn't put a clip in until it was confirmed as cancer. I had grade 3 cancer, tumour was 5.2cms and HER2 positive with one possible affected node. I started chemotherapy end of July and I'm about to have 4th EC, before moving onto targeted chemotherapy. My tumour has had a complete response to treatment and shrunk to a very small size. They usually do chemotherapy first to shrink it before surgery. 
    let me know how you get on with your results on Friday. It's a big worry waiting and to be honest that's one of the worst bits. 
    all the best. S

  • Hi thanks so much for replying. 
    I think its likely it will be malignant though I've been doing my best to look for evidence/examples suggesting otherwise during this dreaded wait! By the sounds of it similar to your situation one node could be affected...will see what they say on Friday.
    That's great the tumour has had a complete response. Will they be doing surgery further down the line? Thank you and I wish you the very best for the next lot of treatment x 

  • Yes my plan is lumpetomy & the one node out with surrounding nodes (but not all)  - all being well after chemo finishes around December. 

    Keep in touch after you find out on Friday & if it is what you suspect I can help with pointers for getting through side effects of chemo. 

    Got everything crossed for you. 

    Sx

Reply
  • Yes my plan is lumpetomy & the one node out with surrounding nodes (but not all)  - all being well after chemo finishes around December. 

    Keep in touch after you find out on Friday & if it is what you suspect I can help with pointers for getting through side effects of chemo. 

    Got everything crossed for you. 

    Sx

Children
No Data