Newly diagnosed with grade 2 IDC, grade 3 post surgery

I am a 57 year old lady who Found a lump in my right breast around middle of August 2021. I was due my mammogram on 1st September so wasn't overly concerned as had cysts drained in the past.  Attended my mammogram and pointed out to the radiographer I thought I could feel a lump so advised to see Gp as mammogram results would be another 3 weeks. Attended Gp appointment on 3 rd September referred to breast team,  appointment for 5 th September arranged, very prompt I have to say. 

Had ultrasound and biopsies taken on 5 th September then went on holiday. Came back to appointment for biopsy results on 27 th September but had also received my mammogram results which basically said everything ok see you in 3 years!

Attended for biopsy results which shown grade 2 IDC lump 1.9 cm to right breast.  Referred for MRI to confirm size only to get results that something was showing on my thyroid, second lump in the same breast and something in my armpit! Absolutely gutted and a nervous wreck! 
Following an MDT made up of different professions overseeing and discussing my case they advised second look ultrasound. I attended  for separate ultrasounds. The  Thyroid ultrasound shown  nothing of concern, the breast ultrasound shown the second lump as a cyst  therefore drained to dryness and the armpit lump didn't show anything of concern too, how relieved was I !

Fnally I had a lumpectomy and sentinel node biopsies done on 27 th November  2021 and from the tissue removed and  sent for testing it shows a grade 3 IDC not grade 2 and a 2.2 cm lump, fortunately the 3 sentinel nodes removed are all negative.

I am now waiting the oncotype DX results to see if I need chemo. I have tried looking to see if there is anybody else on here with the same cancer that has not had chemo for this. As highlighted I know everybodies treatment plan is different.

I am also told that my cancer is ER positive and HER negaive and that I will need radiotherapy and hormone therapy too.

Parents
  • Hi Keira

    Your story is almost exactly as mine is - I was just diagnosed 2 days ago - Grade 3 DCIS - 11 mm wide - HER 2 negative, Oestrogen receptive. Full treatment plan discussed with me - nobody mentioned anything about oncotype DX results which is making me scared - I'm also scared about the grade 3 aspect, worrying if the lump will increase in size over the 4 weeks i am waiting for surgery and if it presents more risk of spread

     

    really hope you are ok xxxxx

Reply
  • Hi Keira

    Your story is almost exactly as mine is - I was just diagnosed 2 days ago - Grade 3 DCIS - 11 mm wide - HER 2 negative, Oestrogen receptive. Full treatment plan discussed with me - nobody mentioned anything about oncotype DX results which is making me scared - I'm also scared about the grade 3 aspect, worrying if the lump will increase in size over the 4 weeks i am waiting for surgery and if it presents more risk of spread

     

    really hope you are ok xxxxx

Children
  • Hi Tommygirl, I'm doing ok thank you.

    The anxiety you feel will be with you for a whie yet but it will get better when you have your final results and treatment plan. It is a bit if a roll a coaster I have to say but you will cope with it.

    the oncotype test will be done if appropriate after surgery as they send partials of the tumour for testing so it can't be done till after surgery, also it's only done for certain types of cancer, not everyone gets this test.

    As for being concerned about it spreading while you are awaiting surgery I waited 8 week with no significant change at all and even if it grows they will remove all off it and the the treatment will involve radio or chemo depending on the results.

     

    I hope this helps, please feel free to message anytime, this is new to us all so we are all trying to get through this the best we can hun with each other's support xxx