Tongue Cancer - Diagnosed two days ago

Hi, I am a 32 year old single mum to my two year old daughter and I found out two days ago that I have tongue cancer.  I'm waiting for an appointment for an MRI scan and a CT scan which should hopefully be within the next few days and this can find out if the cancer has spread.  I then have to have an appointment to discuss a treatment plan but I have already been told that this will involve cutting out the lump in my tongue and a neck dissection to remove Lymph nodes.

It's all such a lot to take in and I'm trying to come to terms with the fact that in a few weeks time my life will never be the same again.  I have read some horrific stories about what I have to come and I am willing to face any of it so long as I stay alive for the sake of my daughter.  I have only told my parents and one friend so far, no piont telling everyone until I have more facts after the scans but I'm concerned at how far the cancer could have spread.  I have had this painful lump on my tongue for six months but the doctors kept giving me prescripotions for other things which has delayed diagnisis.  I have also had pain in my throat and more recently I've noticed ear ache and jaw ache and neck pain.  I'm trying to stay positive until I know more information from the scans but I know I will crumble if it has spread beyond repair.

From reading stories from others on here and other websites, I'm a little confused that I haven't yet been told what stage the cancer is at.  Isn't that something that could be identified from my biopsy?  How could the doctor be so sure that I will need a neck dissection before knowing what stage it's at?

None of this has come of much of a surprise.  I googled my symptoms of a persistent ulcer back in April, before I first went to the doctor and was alarmed to see the word "cancer" everywhere I looked.  I had all the symptoms but was just hoping I was wrong.  The first two doctors I saw about this reassured me that it was nothing more sinister than an ulcer, which put my mind at rest a little, how wrong were they?!  I am just glad that I stayed persistent and kept going back to the doctor about it.  I don't think they treated it as an urgency as I don't fit in with the usual risk factors, I've never smoked, I hardly drink and I'm not in the right age bracket.  I'm now feeling annoyed at the waiting game.  I want to know when the scan will be.

It helps to come on here and read other threads but I still don't think it has fully sunk in yet but when it does, positivity for the sake of my little girl will just have to get me through.  I would love to keep hearing stories from others or any advice would be greatly received.

Nicola xx

Parents
  • Hi Nicola

    I just thought i would drop you a line as I have been chatting to simon who appears to have gone through the same thing i am now facing

    At present I have a secondary site in my lymph node on the right hand side of my neck ... they can not find a prime site I have had multiple cameras and tubes doen my throught had a ct scan and a PET CT scan and no primary site found ... I am now going into Addenbrookes on monday for multiple biopsies from the back of the toung throat and a scape of the tonsil area (although i had them out when i was 8) before they assess my treatment plan

    At present i have been told that they seeno need to operate and think the lump can be dealt with ... via the 6 week of chemo and radio therapy ... so you appearto have had it a lot worse than myself

    I know what i have and accept it and like where Simon was i just want to get on with it and reading your and Simons posts has given me a flavour of whats ahead ... i know its different for everyone

    Im just trying to get a perspective on what i am now facing and how long im going to feek crap for as i have a business to run and am trying to put in steps to limit the impact of my absenses

    regards

    Gary

  • Gary, forgot to say on your other post clarify that they are not taking the lump the lump out surgically which seems to be common practice before treatment

    They will try to find primary Ss this narrows down area for irradiation.

    Regards, Gary

Reply Children
No Data