Right lobe of thyroid to be removed I'm scared

I have a multi nodular goitre which has been picked up by an MRI scan which was done last November.  I have five nodules and one is different to the others.  This has meant that I have had to have an ultrasound and then a fine needle biopsy.  The needle biopsy has not worked because it is a vascular nodule and I am now being given two options.  1) keep an eye on it with regular ultrasounds and 2) have my right thyroid lobe removed along with the suspect nodule.  My consultant has told me that he cannot say that the lump is benign and that is why he is suggesting surgery.  I am worried sick and not sure what to do.  Part of me thinks I should have the surgery with all its risks because if it is cancer then I want rid of it but the other half is thinking what if it is not cancer and I have had surgery that is unnecessary.  Are vascular nodules more likely to be cancerous?  My thyroid blood tests are all OK and I feel well.  I have no symptoms such as hoarse voice, coughing or difficulty swallowing.  The nodules are not even visible in my neck and the consultant could not feel them either.  The suspect nodule is 11 to 12mm.   How do I make the correct decision?

Parents
  • Hello

     

    I am sorry to hear that. 

    I am waiting to have my right part of thyroid removed too. 

    In November biopsy showed my nodule was being, but it has grown in 6 month and they found changes in cells.

    I was not expecting that, I was getting ready to plong along another 6 months to next biopsy, but they said I need to have it chopped off within a month. 

     

    It is hard to say what is the best. I think I would go for op if I were you, because 1. One nodule is very different, 2. They all have tendency to change. Something which is not there today can appear tomorrow. 

    Also it is weird strange times at the moment with covid 19 around. When you really really decide to have it removed, they may not be able to do it for a while.

     

    So I would get in a queue for now. They may not put you on emergency list, so you will have a few months to get ready mentally. 

     

    Wishing you all the best :) 

  • Hello Hmarynka

     

    Thank you for replying to my post. 

     

    Sorry to hear that you are in the same position.  I have thought about nothing else since Friday and spoken with various family members and friends to get their thoughts and feelings about it.  Reading your story confirms to me that waiting is not necessarily the best thing to do.

     

    I have made the decision to go ahead with surgery even though I am scared stiff.  The thought of the lump being something sinister causes me anguish and my anxiety levels are through the roof at the moment.  I have contacted the consultant's secretary to let them know I shall go ahead with surgery and hope that I have made the right decision.

     

    I hope your operation goes well and that you have a speedy recovery.

     

    Best wishes

  • I am glad to hear you that you decided now!

    I got my operation date today - 13th of July. Will write how it goes.

     

    Wishing you well

     

  • Hello

    I should hear next week about an operation date. 

     

    Hope your surgery goes well.  I shall be thinking about you.

     

    Please do let me know how you got on.

    Best wishes

Reply Children
No Data