Right lobe of thyroid to be removed I'm scared

I have a multi nodular goitre which has been picked up by an MRI scan which was done last November.  I have five nodules and one is different to the others.  This has meant that I have had to have an ultrasound and then a fine needle biopsy.  The needle biopsy has not worked because it is a vascular nodule and I am now being given two options.  1) keep an eye on it with regular ultrasounds and 2) have my right thyroid lobe removed along with the suspect nodule.  My consultant has told me that he cannot say that the lump is benign and that is why he is suggesting surgery.  I am worried sick and not sure what to do.  Part of me thinks I should have the surgery with all its risks because if it is cancer then I want rid of it but the other half is thinking what if it is not cancer and I have had surgery that is unnecessary.  Are vascular nodules more likely to be cancerous?  My thyroid blood tests are all OK and I feel well.  I have no symptoms such as hoarse voice, coughing or difficulty swallowing.  The nodules are not even visible in my neck and the consultant could not feel them either.  The suspect nodule is 11 to 12mm.   How do I make the correct decision?

Parents
  • Hello

    Sorry you find yourself here.
     

    that's a difficult one xx 

    I know what I'd do (I wouldn't want to take any chances and would opt for surgery)...but of course, it's a personal choice and I'm not aware of the risks you mention xx 
    Is there anything in particular putting you off having the surgery? Have you discussed any specific concerns with your consultant? xx 

Reply
  • Hello

    Sorry you find yourself here.
     

    that's a difficult one xx 

    I know what I'd do (I wouldn't want to take any chances and would opt for surgery)...but of course, it's a personal choice and I'm not aware of the risks you mention xx 
    Is there anything in particular putting you off having the surgery? Have you discussed any specific concerns with your consultant? xx 

Children
  • Hello Citygirl111

     

    Many thanks for your prompt response.  The risks of surgery as explained to me by the consultant and from the leaflet that I was given are damage to the nerve that goes to the voice box (it sits right behind the right lobe), bleeding after the operation which may need another operation as it can collect and put pressure on windpipe and oesophagus, blood clots and any reaction to the anesthethic.

     

    There are two things putting me off from having surgery, if it is benign and didn't really need my right thyroid lobe removed (pity the needle biopsy did not work because if it came back as being cancerous I would not hesitate to have surgery) and injury not connected to the surgery site.  I had a hysteroscopy under a general anesthetic last year and I was over stretched which has resulted in some damage to my pelvis area.  14 months on and I am still having investigations to find out what is causing my pain.  I have been examined by 3 gynaes, a musculoskeletal professional, physios (which has made pain worse) and now I am waiting to see a neurologist to see if there is any nerve damage.  I don't want anymore problems than I have already got. 

     

    I was so shell shocked when I saw the consultant yesterday that I opted for keeping an eye on it as I couldn't take it all in what he was telling me.  He understood and was very good about it and thought that I should take time to think about it.  He has told me that I can contact his secretary if I want to go ahead with surgery.

     

    I know I should have the surgery and probably will but it is taking time for me to digest it all and feel comfortable with my decision.  It would be good to know if it is or isin't cancer.