Lump in lower Stomach - Gp not treating as urgent what to do

Hi all,

I'm after some advice / experiences please. I'm a 35yo female & last xmas (over a year ago) I started with bloating to the point where clothes would not do up. Assumed it was festive overeating etc. Normally a size 10. Fast forward to mid Nov 2018 I was away on a course and noticed in the hotel long mirror that one side of my bloated stomach was sticking out noticeably more (it was left side) there was a distinct swelling on the lower left of my tummy amidst the bloating.

I visited the gp as had had some blood in stools and in the loo, plus constipation. He could see the swelling and thought it was perhaps near ovary - took til almost Xmas to get that scanned via ultrasound and ruled out as he couldn't put it through as urgent as he needed a female gp to examine me (he was junior & didn't feel he could check properly).

in the meantime general bloods have come back as normal aside from anemic (not very about 12.7) and vit D very low. Went back to gp again beginning of Jan 2019 and they were trying to blame it on ibs saying as bloods were OK and as I'm young there was no point in sending me for a scope. I again reiterated the blood in stools, constipation, a pain that had now started around the area of swelling and was getting worse and feeling sick, I asked him to get his superior in.

they eventually agreed to investigate it but he rang me later that day and said after a surgery review they had just decided to refer me to 'surgery' at my local hospital, so sounds like it wouldn't even be a scope on that day just consultation. That appt is not til 5th Feb.. So over a month from the last gp appt - clearly not in the 2 week urgent guidelines.

Having to take Senna each day just to get bowel movements... And pain around the swelling area getting more constant. Swelling doesn't feel hard to touch but even friends can see what I'm talking about. Doctors asked me to cough etc to rule out hernia and they can see it too - really baffled as to why they wouldn't put it through as urgent. 

what should I do? Is it safe to wait that long? Looked at a private check cheapest is around £875 for a virtual colonoscopy. :( 

sorry for the long post, I have two very young children and I'm sick with worry and feel I've been fobbed off & delayed by the gps at my surgery. 

Parents
  • Hello Rara83,

    I am sorry to hear you have suffered with these symptoms for over a year now it must be really uncomfortable for you and I hope that the swelling gets properly investigated.

    It's good though that the process is in motion now and that you have been referred to see someone on the 5th of February. It won't be long now before that appointment and you can probably ask there what the next steps are going to be and what the timeframe for further tests (if required) might be. You could also perhaps ring your surgery and discuss this with the GP who made the referral whether they think you need to be seen earlier given your symptoms and the swelling you describe. There is also  the option of asking for another doctor's opinion on the matter it does help and is reassuring sometimes to get a second opinon.

    I hope you get some clear answers soon and that you will also hear from some of our members who have had a similar experience recently.

    You are also always welcome to ring our nurses on this free number 0808 800 4040 - their line is open Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm.

    Let us know how things develop for you! We are keeping everything crossed for you.

    Best wishes,

    Lucie, Cancer Chat Moderator

Reply
  • Hello Rara83,

    I am sorry to hear you have suffered with these symptoms for over a year now it must be really uncomfortable for you and I hope that the swelling gets properly investigated.

    It's good though that the process is in motion now and that you have been referred to see someone on the 5th of February. It won't be long now before that appointment and you can probably ask there what the next steps are going to be and what the timeframe for further tests (if required) might be. You could also perhaps ring your surgery and discuss this with the GP who made the referral whether they think you need to be seen earlier given your symptoms and the swelling you describe. There is also  the option of asking for another doctor's opinion on the matter it does help and is reassuring sometimes to get a second opinon.

    I hope you get some clear answers soon and that you will also hear from some of our members who have had a similar experience recently.

    You are also always welcome to ring our nurses on this free number 0808 800 4040 - their line is open Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm.

    Let us know how things develop for you! We are keeping everything crossed for you.

    Best wishes,

    Lucie, Cancer Chat Moderator

Children
No Data