Waiting for breast biopsy result

Hi

I had a breast biopsy and mammogram done last week and have spent the last 6 days in complete fear of the results. After the biopsy and mammogram I was called back into a room with the doctor and a bcn to be told the mammogram was very worrying as the mass looked highly suspicious. As a 42 year old mother of 2 I have been beside myself with worry it’s been with me 24/7 and anxiety levels through the roof!

Today I got my results (I was literally crying on the way into doctors room) it’s not breast cancer, it’s a Fibroadenoma. I wanted to share this so that anyone going through this awful time can see suspicious lumps don’t always mean cancer. I also want to wish everyone good luck whatever their outcome xx

Parents
  • Thank you! I had biopsies taken today and am obviously worried. I have an appt on Thursday for the results. 

  •  

    Hi Ratbagtazbag,

    Welcome to our forum. This is always a worrying time when there are so many unknowns. Are you taking someone with you to your appointment on Thursday. I would strongly advise you to do so.

    I hope that all turns out well for you on Thursday and that nothing untoward is found. Please let us know how you get on. We are always here for you.

    Kind regards,

    Jolamine xx

  • Hi Jolamine, 

    Thank you for replying, less than 24 hours to go now 

    G x

  •  

    Hi Gistaline,

    Not long now.

    Fingers crossed for a good result.

    Kind regards,

    Jolamine xx

  • Hi Jolamine Thanks for getting back to me, no i'm not having any treatment, I was told I didnt need chemo or radiotherapy but there was medication available if I felt I needed some reassurance, I decided to give those a miss as the side effects were not good, risky, maybe, but its a risk I am prepared to take and the oncologist didnt pressure me either way. I don't know what type, grade or stage of cancer I had as I think I went partially deaf when I received the diagnosis Regards Limey
  • I hope all goes well tomorrow x

  • Hi Jolamine

    I did reply to this post but I think there was some kind of error because I cant find it now.

    No I dont know what type of cancer it was, I probably was too stunned to follow the conversation at the time, however having seen the oncologist recently I dont need to have chemo/radiotherapy (which was good news) there was some medication on offer but with side effects which I declined and he didn't press the matter.

    My stomach problem is still being investigated and I have to go for a CT scan in 2 weeks time, fingers crossed, I will let you know how I get on.

    Regards Limey

  •  

    Hi Limey,

    You might find it helpful to know your grade and type of cancer if you are ever asked for a medical history. You could wait and ask your consultant or oncologist, or phone your breast care nurse to find out. You are not alone in finding it difficult to take in all the information you were given. This is why it is always a good idea to take someone with you, especially when you are going for results.

    I am glad to hear that you need no further treatment. The decision not to take any further medication is solely yours to take and, I'm glad to hear that your oncologist didn't put any pressure on you.

    Kind regards,

    Jolamine xx

  •  

    Hi Gistaline,

    Good luck for today. I hope that it all goes well.

    Kind regards,

    Jolamine xx

  • Hey Jolamine

    Thanks for thinking of me. So stage 3 invasive ductal cancer not specifc type triple negative. 

    I have an appointment with the oncologist on the 13th March and then 6 months of chemo, followed by surgery and possibly radio but I am more inclined to have a mastectomy.

    Thankfully they were persistent with me.

    G x

  •  

    Hi Gistaline,

    I'm sure that this is not the news you wanted. Have you been given the choice between a lumpectomy and a mastectomy? I have had both. The lumpectomy was 10 years ago and the bilateral mastectomy was 9 years ago, when I discovered another lump, which was another primary cancer. I found that the double mastectomy was easier to cope with and I din't need radiotherapy or chemotherapy after this.

    Please let us know how you get on on 13th March. We aare always here for you.

    Kind regards,

    Jolamine xx

  • Hi Jolamine,

    To be honest even though it's a diagnosis I feel lucky, I was so inclined to walk away last week after them .missing it first time.

    Ive not been offered surgery first, I have to have chemo first to shrink it and get it under control and then the surgeon wants to do a lumpectomy, but I am more inclined to have a mastectomy, and a double one so I don't have to have radiotherapy and because if there is no breast tissue it can't come back there. I don't know but we have all that to talk about.

    My kids are older but living at home but they both have autism so I am more concerned about them managing all of the treatment and how they will feel if it comes back. So lots of wait and see.

    Thanks for being there, I will be back to you xx 

Reply
  • Hi Jolamine,

    To be honest even though it's a diagnosis I feel lucky, I was so inclined to walk away last week after them .missing it first time.

    Ive not been offered surgery first, I have to have chemo first to shrink it and get it under control and then the surgeon wants to do a lumpectomy, but I am more inclined to have a mastectomy, and a double one so I don't have to have radiotherapy and because if there is no breast tissue it can't come back there. I don't know but we have all that to talk about.

    My kids are older but living at home but they both have autism so I am more concerned about them managing all of the treatment and how they will feel if it comes back. So lots of wait and see.

    Thanks for being there, I will be back to you xx 

Children
  •  

    Hi Gistaline,

    Chemo  is offered first where there is a sizeable lump in order to  reduce it before surgery. A number of surgeons don't want to do a double mastectomy, as they see no point in removing a good breast. They claim that having doesn't improve your chances that much more than having a single mastectomy. 

    I was fortunate, in that my surgeon was quite happy to give me the bilateral mastectomy with my second bout of cancer. I certainly fe;lt happier with this as I felt that I have removed as much as possible to prevent another recurrence. Bear in mind that even if all your breast tisdsue is removed, you can still get it elsewhere in the body.

    You will find it easier to discuss things with your care team if you draw up a list of questions before you go to your next consultation. It will be especially difficult for you to manage your treatment without worrying your children. You will find that the more positive you appear about getting a cure, the better your family will react. 

    Kind regards,

    Jolamine xx