Ovarian cancer & prolapsed uturus

Hi everyone,

I am posting this to learn a little more as the doctors suspect my mum has this...

 

She is 57 years old, relatively healthy. We went to a and e as she was experiencing a heavy chest, shortness of breath, right side pain, back ache, nasea and feeling of being full up. The doctor did a blood test and said she has a minor infection and prescribed antibiotics. Fast forward two weeks, the pain in the chest hasn't occurred since but the other symptoms remained. I toom her to hospital today  the doctor said he can see something on her right ovary and referred her for the 14 day investigation for a transvaginal scan. We ended up paying for it privately this evening - this Dr said she can see her uturus is prolapsed likely due to pregnancy, and a 10cm cyst on her left ovary containing hard mass. She said there wasn't a blood supply in the cyst which meant it could be good news but said its 50/50 it could be cancerous. She suggested it's removed ASAP and has types up a report that we will send to her gp. She said the crucial one is to remove the cyst and then look into the prolapsed uturus of course dependant on further investigations.

I was wondering whether anyone has experienced this and what the outcome has been? 

Parents
  • I am over 65 and bilateral ovarian cysts were removed last November, they were complex cysts so potentially cancerous they were found during a colonoscopy for left sided pain. After MRI, ultrasounds ect bloods l had surgery 8 weeks later. The left overy was difficult to locate and remove due to extensive adhesions due to previous surgery everything was stuck together, the oncology surgeon was used to difficult surgery and spent over 4 hours removing it all. 
    Fortunately the biopsies were benign. 
    Take care l hope you have a similar outcome 

    Susie 

  • Thank you Susie. All the best,

    Anna

  • Thanks for your reply. We will have to wait and see and keep our fingers crossed. The NHS should have just let you have the blood test! I know its easier said than done but please try and not be anxious, try and keep busy and hopefully you will have some good news on Monday - hoping it's nothing serious. I guess if the NHS were worried it was something really serious they would have referred you for urgent care  so that may be a good thing..

     

    X

  • Thank you soo much 

    I'll keep you posted ...

    Xx

     

  • Hi

     

    Just thought I"d let you know, my mum had her FIT blood test today too. She was told by her GP receptionist that these resultswill appear on the online GP app and be sent to the GP. The results for MRI, CT and CA125 will be sent to her gynacology consultant only at the hospital who she met with last week. They said these results won't appear on the online app.

     

    Anna

  • Hi

     

    I thought I'd share the latest.

     

    My mums ca125 has come back fine - we haven't been told kf the reading. The MRI and CT scan do not show any signs of cancer. However, they are unable to confirm whether the complex cyst is malignant or benign yet. They are having a meeting on Wednesday next week and will call on Thirsday with a plan regarding the operation. Its likely however she will need to have a hysterectomy which is fine because I don't want any more siblings anyway :)

     

    Hope this gives you some positive news as more often than not, mainly bad news can be found online! It can still be cancerous sof course we will need to wait but at least we have some news now.

     

    Anna x

  • Hi  Anna 

    That is good News .... CA125 normal result 

    Hopefully the operation won't be too long of a wait 

    and cyst will be benign.

    I hope you feel more reassured with the results 

    I know researching and Dr Google can make us 

    overthink ..

    I see gynaecologist on Monday evening 

    I really don't know what the outcome will be ..

    I'm delighted for you and your mum xx

  • Please keep us posted and I will do the same. She isn't out of the woods yet but it just goes to show there is a likelihood these things can also work out fine in the end. Online statistics are scary!  Xx

  • such a releif for your mum and yourself. I'm still waiting  3 weeks today since I had my scan and hysteroscopy. I was told then that a hysterectomy was the likely option. My hospital holds the MDT meeting on a Thursday and I was told my name would be on it every week until all test results were back and a treatment plan devised. I phoned the hospital a few days ago and it was confirmed to me that I would hear by letter so I'm hoping that means my outcome is like your mum's as surely they wouldn'y break bad news by letter. Please keep us updated.

  • My suggestion is call them. I know no news can be good news but here is the story how we found out...

     

    My mums English isn't the best and she was worried that she may miss a word or something when her consultant calls. She was on her way to bisit me down the road  the Dr ended up calling her and it was really noisy outside she couldn't hear much so told the consultant qe would call her back within 30 minutes - the consultant said ok. We called her back but the number she called from was outbound only yhere was a message about if you have received a call they will call you back. That wasn't the case as the consultant was waiting for us to call... So we called a fee numbers for gynacology we found online and no one would answer for the next two hours despite leaving messages. It was Friday so I said to my mum you have two options - we will physically go to the hospital or ypu might be waiting over the weekend worrying. So we went to the hospital  the gynacologist wasn't to ohappy we'd just shown up but I said we've been trying to call you back for 2 hours and noone is answering plus the agreement was made we would discuss the results. 

     

    There is no harm in chasing them - I'm sure you've not been forgotten and I know the NHS is overworked, I don't want to worry you but we have to remember the reason for these results and that delays shouldn't be acceptable. You might find they will be ae to give you some news over the phone.

     

    Anna x

  • Hi

     

    Just an update from my side...

     

    We got a call today from the consultant to say mum is being referred to another hospital to discuss operation, highly likely to be a hysterectomy as the specialists who have reviewed her results are 'mildly concerned' it's borderline ovarian cancer.

     

    Thanks

    Anna 

  • Hi

     

    How did you get on?

     

    Mum had her hysterectomy  and her omentum and appendix removed too. The appendix was brought up before she went in on the day as a precaution. Slowly getting better and has just received a letter to go in on Wednesday for biopsy results. I thought if they're asking her to go in then maybe it's bad news ;(

Reply
  • Hi

     

    How did you get on?

     

    Mum had her hysterectomy  and her omentum and appendix removed too. The appendix was brought up before she went in on the day as a precaution. Slowly getting better and has just received a letter to go in on Wednesday for biopsy results. I thought if they're asking her to go in then maybe it's bad news ;(

Children
  • Hi,

     

     

     

    I thought I'd provide an update which may also help others...

     

     

     

    She went in yesterday and was told her ovarian complex cyst was borderline, but there were signs of invasive cells likely to have been cancerous if not caught early. They also found a lp in her appendix... She was told she will not need any further treatment aside from check ups every 3onths. Looking at responses on here it seems as though others have got much more detailed explanations so unsure if there was more information we could have pushed for. I myself was not there, but my sister went with my mum.

     

     

     

    Anna x