Scared Ovarian Diagnosis

Hi, I'm new here and petrified. I haven't had a cancer diagnosis yet so you may think I shouldn't be hear but I'm petrified. I've had bloating for about 4 weeks and after routing blood test an elevated CA125 of over 300. I'm so swollen round my middle and now think it could be ascites not bloating and I feel so stupid and worried that might be a sign I have more advanced cancer. I've got an appt on Monday morning with a gynaecologist. I have a 5 year old and can't even think about what this may mean. Anyone who has been through this or has any advice welcome. Thank you x

Parents
  • Hi-I have also just recently been told the devastating news after my blood results came back as high.. I had an mri/ ct scan pretty much straight away where they found a tumour on my left ovary also bowel and adrenal problems.. I'm so sorry.. please don't worry.. I know it's very difficult... and scary... I'm here if you need to chat..xx

  • I saw the consultant yesterday who asked for urgent CT and MRI scan. I am beyond petrified as I keep reading about ascites (I have a swollen tummy and she said she could see fluid around the pelvis). Did you have the swelling? What are your next steps. I've got a two week wait for results and not sure how I will get through it. I'm not sleeping, crying, worrying about other symptoms I seem to have developed. If it was only the high reading I think I would be less concerned but I'm worried the ascites is a sign I have advanced cancer.

  • Hi Lucky,

    I don't have any symptoms, I went to the GP with something unrelated and an enlarged ovary was detected by scan, blood tests were conducted which shows elevated CA125 levels. I'm now waiting a CT scan.

    Hope you're ok.

    JM

  • Hey im in the same position, trip to hospital a month ago with suspected appendicitis to find out i have a large right ovary 4.5cm, after 3 week wait i finally had my CT abdominal and pelvis scan yesterday, have been in pain all this time, was told yesterday could be a 3 week wait for results, so more waiting.  Right hip pain and bloating, fed up just want answers and to feel better, hope you are all well xx

  • Hi Lolly,

    welcome to our little thread.  Can I ask roughly where you are geographically? I'm in Northamptonshire. I've got my ct scan tomorrow and the thought of having to wait another three weeks for the results is rather daunting.  How are you coping? Has your GP offered something for pain management? If not, it might be worth reaching out.

    Keep in touch.

  • Hi im in the west of scotland, im on pain medication for back problems so have 30mg codeine, i work with kids and find that to make the pain a little worse, but just want to keep busy, hope all goes well for you tomorrow x

  • Hi Lolly and welcome to the worst club ever the waiting is horrendous, I chased my biopsy results today and just had a reply back from consultant to say she would contact me when she had them. I had some reflexology last night to try and relax me a little, did help with sleep but back to worry again today. It's the last thing you think of before you sleep and the first thing when you wake up...well it is for me. How is everyone else getting on? Tink have you had your results? X

  • Sorry I didn't reply, mine started with constipation then my period stopped and I started getting swelling in my abdomen (that all happened about the same time) x

  • Hi everyone,

    As I thought, no information at the scan, I was just told that my doctor would have the results in 7-10 days. So begins another wait.

    I hope you're all managing to stay positive.

    JM

  • Nightmare waiting, fingers crossed all is ok xx

  • Hi, 

    I rang on the 1st Apr chasing biopsy/ct/mri results and was told they weren't all in yet.

    Called again on the 5th and results were all in and was with the consultant for review. My daughter was 18 on the 6th so luckily that has kept me busy and we are away this weekend so hoping that when I get home tonight there will be a letter waiting for me

  • I've chased my biopsy today, it's still not in but consultant has said she will chase the lab. Not sure how much more waiting I can take and worried the fluid in my andromeda will build again. I hope your daughter had a lovely birthday tink, sounds like a great distraction. Fingers crossed for the best results.  X

Reply
  • I've chased my biopsy today, it's still not in but consultant has said she will chase the lab. Not sure how much more waiting I can take and worried the fluid in my andromeda will build again. I hope your daughter had a lovely birthday tink, sounds like a great distraction. Fingers crossed for the best results.  X

Children
  • Thanks AcW123

    I received a letter today with my appointment to see a gynaecologist oncology consultant on 6th May. This basically confirms what I was thinking already. 

    Anyway his secretary has called this afternoon to say a space has become free tomorrow morning at 9.30am so I'm off to see him tomorrow morning x

  • Hi Tink,

    Fingers crossed for the best possible outcome tomorrow xx

  • Yes fingers crossed for the best possible outcome and thank goodness for the cancellation. So many people have said to me that knowing what is wrong and having a plan is actually a relief. Thinking of you and wishing you luck for tomorrow xx

  • Thank you. 

    Well it wasn't the best outcome and I agree knowing seems much better then not!

    My biopsy from the womb came back as pre cancerous but due to tumours on the ovaries the consultant explained it was more than likely cancerous and was pushing on my pelvic wall and other organs. 

    I'm booked for a full hysterectomy, bowl disection on 25th may with the possibility of gallbladder, appendix and lymph node removal amongst other things to also be removed. No actual cancer part or stage can be diagnosed until after the op.

    The consultant will do it all himself with a team and has said it is major surgery and may need a stoma bag fitted.

    As scary as it all seems I feel better knowing them not.

    Bring on the 25th x

  • Oh Tink!

    You must be in a pickle, not knowing quite what to feel or think, and what a massive amount of news to take in.  From everything I've read, needle aspiration to take tissue for biopsy is no longer offered in order to reduce the risk of cancerous cells seeding along the path of the needle and going on to develop cancer in other tissues in the future, so not being tested until they actually operated on now seems to be the normal now.

    My oldest daughter has MS and is now in a wheelchair permanently.  She had a stoma fitted last year and it certainly wasn't as bad as any of us imagined and she has adapted really well.  I know it's not the same situation but I hope it helps.

    I've also read that a stoma may just be a temporary measure, do you know if that's the case?

    How are you feeling?  Do you have support available? Please know that we're thinking of you xx

    JM

     

  • Hi,

    Think the feeling I have is numbness.

    I have my husband and some wonderful friends who are in the know and I couldn't get through this without them. I have given a very watered down version to my children for now 

    The stoma if required could be temporary. The plan is to dissect and reattach and if cannot a stoma would be fitted temporarily unless they had to remove more bowl than intended.

    Thank you for sharing about your daughter, it is reassuring x

  • I know my scan results are back but my consultant was in theatre all day today so was unable to review them.  I was really hoping to hear before the long weekend but it wasn't to be.

    Take time for yourself, speak to whoever you feel you want to. Have a damn good cry, whatever helps you deal and get through the next few weeks xx

  • Oh Tink, I'm sorry it wasn't the news you wanted but it sounds like they have a plan for you. I've read quite a bit on debulking and from other forums I have read that they can decide during surgery that  a stoma is not required or as you say reverse it. As well as being on here I have also been in a site called 'Ovacome' there are some lovely ladies on there advising each other. 
     

    I also got called in today by my consultant and got some more positive news that I had hoped. As you know I had gross ascites which because I had googled to death had convinced myself I was stage 4 due to it spreading. The biopsy of the ascites fluid and my omentum have come back as not malignant. I still have a mass on my ovary which will need major surgery but the consultant said she was relieved for me as was worried. The results will be seen by an MDT team after Easter to determine next steps and I may end up seeing a gynae oncologist before surgery but it's better than I could have ever hoped. (Who'd have thought having major surgery would be a happy result!). I still don't really understand what is causing the fluid but I suspect I may not know that until a biopsy from what they remove.

    This whole thing is such a roller coaster of emotions though and really makes you think that life is for living. I feel for anyone going through this xxx
     

    i

  • AC, what fantastic news.

    There's another group Target Ovarian Cancer who have an active Facebook group which both of you might want to look at, though I think AC might already have found it.

    I think we're all researching everything we can find

  • Thanks Just-mum, I think compared to what it could have been it was great. I don't think I'm totally out of the woods but I can see some light through the trees for the first time in weeks. Yep I'm on the other site too, everyone is so kind and supportive of each other. One lady said she had put some info on Instagram that I could look at. When I took a look I found out she was the owner of a coffee shop in the town where my parents live so I messaged her and she spent ages telling me her story and answering questions for me. My husband has not been happy with how much I have looked into everything online but I'm the type of person who wants to know and seeing the support and options has helped a little.