Grade 3 Breast Cancer - will I need Chemo?

Hi,

Just looking for info on other peoples treatment.  I'm 39, I've just had 2nd surgery to remove 8mm IDC as the margins aren't clear - hopefully will be now (results next week).  It is grade 3 but luckily no lymph nodes involved (3 removed in SNB).

 

My consultant says I won't need chemo as there were no lymph nodes with cancer in them, but I've been reading some things that in younger women with grade 3, oncology may suggest chemo?  I haven't had my appointment with oncology yet.

 

Anyone else with similar - would love to hear your story/treatment.

 

thanks xx

Parents
  • Hi,

    I too am in a similar situation and waiting to hear what my treatment will be, due 2nd OP (re excision of margins) next week, generic test (oncotype DX) underway to help decide if chemo is necessary as previous tests on tumour said I was borderline. 11mm and grade 3 with clear lymph nodes and margins. I’m 49. Think nurse was trying to prepare me for chemo, said since I was young they like to through everything they have at it. Will definitely have radiotherapy at least along with hormone therapy.

    Trying to decide if children should be told at this stage (ages 12 & 16) or wait as long as possible? Not sure what to do for the best.

    But have read on this many times chemo not always given in these circumstances so hoping I don’t have to get it, but will certainly take their advise and have it if need be, but filled with dread at the thought.

    The wait is agonising.

    Best wishes for u x

     

  • Thanks for replying.  You mentioned tests on your tumor were borderline...do you know what tests they ran etc., my consultant hasn’t mentioned anything about that and how it will impact decision on chemo and would be good to know what to ask him.

    Waiting is torture....

    thanks

  • Sorry think now actually it was results from information entered into some database about the grading, lymph nodes, my age etc , sorry so much information given hard to remember it all :-(

    but if it helps they said 2% or below wouldn’t need chemo, 5,6 etc above definitely would, mine was 2.9%  so he suggested the oncotype dx test, will get results in 2 wks.

    please let me know how you get on next week, good luck x

Reply
  • Sorry think now actually it was results from information entered into some database about the grading, lymph nodes, my age etc , sorry so much information given hard to remember it all :-(

    but if it helps they said 2% or below wouldn’t need chemo, 5,6 etc above definitely would, mine was 2.9%  so he suggested the oncotype dx test, will get results in 2 wks.

    please let me know how you get on next week, good luck x

Children
No Data