Wait to find out if I have the genetic BC gene before deciding on single or double mastectomy

Hi

i had the blood test last week to see if I have the genetic breast cancer gene and they said it would be a 4 week wait to find out the results.

Has anyone else been in a similar position as I’m not sure what to do,have the breast where the lump is removed or have both breast removed to reduce the risk of future breast cancer lumps? 

im planning on going private it to speed up the treatment process and my anxiety is sky high,any advice would be welcomed.

S

Parents
  • Hi,

    I too am having the test, the genetic testing kit arrived yesterday for a saliva sample. The doctors have elected to remove the tumour by lumpectomy, rather than mastectomy, mainly due to its size, however if the results come back positive for the gene, this will need to be changed. I have elected to go private on this.

    The operation has been scheduled for 23rd March. In truth I’d much prefer a double mastectomy to remove the fear of recurrence and avoid the chemotherapy and radiotherapy that will follow.

    Wish you well on your journey.

    Max

Reply
  • Hi,

    I too am having the test, the genetic testing kit arrived yesterday for a saliva sample. The doctors have elected to remove the tumour by lumpectomy, rather than mastectomy, mainly due to its size, however if the results come back positive for the gene, this will need to be changed. I have elected to go private on this.

    The operation has been scheduled for 23rd March. In truth I’d much prefer a double mastectomy to remove the fear of recurrence and avoid the chemotherapy and radiotherapy that will follow.

    Wish you well on your journey.

    Max

Children
No Data