Just been diagnosed with DCIS

I have been having yearly mammograms for the last 9 years (I'm 49 & have family history of breast cancer) & on my last one breast cancer was detected. They diagnosed me with DCIS grade 2 & the tumor is 18mm. They have offered me either a lumpectomy or a mastectomy & am really confused about which to have having family history of breast cancer. I feel like I just want both my breast removed to try to stop it coming back. I asked for a genetic test when i was 40 as all the females on my mums side have had breast cancer but they said that because my mum was no longer alive they did not have anything to test it against. Now i have been diagnosed they are writing to the genetics department to see if i now qualify for the test, but they have said that i will be having my operation before the genetics department comes back with a decision. They have said that i could have a lumpectomy & then if the test comes back positive then i could then have a mastectomy but i am now thinking do i just have the mastectomy & get it over & done with but them i look at the recovery time for both & think that a lumpectomy is the easiest option but do now want to go through this & then have to have a mastectomy of all that. I am so confused

I have been trying to look up the survival rates between them both & from what i have seen there is not much in it.

I go for my MRI next Sunday & then go for the results the Friday after but i am trying to get my head around things before then so that if my MRI shows that there are no further cancer I have more or less made  my mind up

Any advise please, i know that it is my decision but my head is a shed & feel like i'm going around in circles

xx 

Parents
  • Hi, sorry to find you here and that you are going through this.  I was 54 when I was diagnosed with a 1cm invasive breast cancer back in January after they found calcifications in a routine mammogram.  I was due to have a lumpectomy but 2 days before my surgery it was cancelled and I was told more had been found which after further biopsies resulted in low grade DCIS.  
    Making the decision to have a lumpectomy or a mastectomy is so difficult and a very personal choice.  I decided on mastectomy and I'm now 12 weeks post surgery.  Initially I was just "get it off" I don't care what it looks like as long as it's all gone.  That was naive of me because I underestimated the trauma I felt afterwards about losing my breast, especially as I couldn't face the quite radical surgery of reconstruction.  
     

    However, despite the sadness of losing my breast, I'm now very glad I did!  I decided to get a copy of my post op histology report and it was quite clear that as well as the two areas, they also found LCIS and lots of other changes, inflammation and it was very cystic.  There was things that hadn't shown up in the biopsies and it was all a bit bigger than they thought (although thankfully still stage 1).  I was SO glad it was all gone frankly and mastectomy was right for me.   Very often, there is no radiotherapy needed after mastectomy.   I've no experience of it but I understand Radiotherapy isn't without risk either so that's a big bonus. 

    I didn't want the worry of the surgeon not getting clear margins with a lumpectomy, that must be incredibly difficult, especially if further surgery is needed.  With mastectomy I found the finality of it all very reassuring once I got used to it.

    Wishing you all the best with your decision.  Once you've had your scan you will have the information you need to make the right decision for you.

    Mary x

  • Hi Mary

    Thank you for your response & it is so nice knowing that we are not alone with this. I am glad to hear that you made the right decision & it has worked out for you. I would definatley want reconstruction as I am not small breasted & they have told me that i will not be as big as i am now but to me that is a small price to pay for getting rid of cancer. I have always told myself that if I did get breast cancer & that it was down to a faulty gene that i would deffo get a double mastectomy, i alway think that if you remove the problem then the future looks brighter. Now i have breast cancer & do not know if I have the faulty gene my head is spinning. I am leaning more towards a mastectomy now i have done some research. Even though there is still a chance of a reacurrance of it getting it again & chances are slightly less with a mastectomy. I am so pleased that you are coming out of the other side. Are you getting any more treatment? or is that it for now? 

     

    Take care

    xx

Reply
  • Hi Mary

    Thank you for your response & it is so nice knowing that we are not alone with this. I am glad to hear that you made the right decision & it has worked out for you. I would definatley want reconstruction as I am not small breasted & they have told me that i will not be as big as i am now but to me that is a small price to pay for getting rid of cancer. I have always told myself that if I did get breast cancer & that it was down to a faulty gene that i would deffo get a double mastectomy, i alway think that if you remove the problem then the future looks brighter. Now i have breast cancer & do not know if I have the faulty gene my head is spinning. I am leaning more towards a mastectomy now i have done some research. Even though there is still a chance of a reacurrance of it getting it again & chances are slightly less with a mastectomy. I am so pleased that you are coming out of the other side. Are you getting any more treatment? or is that it for now? 

     

    Take care

    xx

Children
  • Hi Kat,

    It must be very difficult for you to make the decision at the moment.  I think you said you were having an MRI?  This horrible inbetween time waiting for tests and results is awful.  Once you've got all the information you need you can make that informed decision with your consultant.  
     

    I totally get how you are leaning towards mastectomy, I felt the same and it does have its advantages, notably you won't usually need radiotherapy afterwards.  
    My treatment has finished and was just surgery and hormone therapy (Tamoxifen) for now.  It does give me some comfort that they have taken the breast off, it's gone and I'm told, God willing the cancer is unlikely to return.

    Prayers and thoughts for you and everyone going through this, you will get to the other side, keep going taking it a day at a time and stay strong.

    M x