To chemo or not to chemo

I have er+/her2-  bc. Clear margin after surgery but sentinal node-pos. 2nd surgery, 15 further nodes removed and all neg....yay!! My dilemma now is whether to have chemo as well as radio/hc....I have no issue with the radio/hc but chemo quite frankly scares the pants off me!! Oncotype dx score 15 and am under 50yo, pre-meno with 2 young trenagers. Dx score suggests chemo will be of little to no benefit but oncologist pushing me quite hard down that route. Anyone had similar dilemma and what decision did you come to? 

Parents
  • Hi [@K5001]‍ 

    In a very similar situation to you , just got my post surgery results Friday and chemo has been put on the table as I went from stage 1 to stage 2 as the tumour grew a bit! Nodes were clear. Surgeon has asked for further tests which I assume is the Oncotype and said about 3 weeks.

    Also told I need radiotherapy which is fine, but also Tamoxifen ( er+) but I don't want that as I have had a dvt in the past. They said something about putting me into menopause so I can try a different drug , which I'm also not keen on. And obviously chemo isn't something to have unless it's really, really necessary so I am hoping that the test will give some more clarity.

    At this stage I'm leaning towards just having radiotherapy and hoping for the best! I also have several chronic illnesses and don't have a particularly high threshold to medicine side effects...other people manage fine and get some reassurance from taking them but whatever you decide it has to be right for you.

    Keep asking questions.

    Best wishes :happy:

     

     

     

Reply
  • Hi [@K5001]‍ 

    In a very similar situation to you , just got my post surgery results Friday and chemo has been put on the table as I went from stage 1 to stage 2 as the tumour grew a bit! Nodes were clear. Surgeon has asked for further tests which I assume is the Oncotype and said about 3 weeks.

    Also told I need radiotherapy which is fine, but also Tamoxifen ( er+) but I don't want that as I have had a dvt in the past. They said something about putting me into menopause so I can try a different drug , which I'm also not keen on. And obviously chemo isn't something to have unless it's really, really necessary so I am hoping that the test will give some more clarity.

    At this stage I'm leaning towards just having radiotherapy and hoping for the best! I also have several chronic illnesses and don't have a particularly high threshold to medicine side effects...other people manage fine and get some reassurance from taking them but whatever you decide it has to be right for you.

    Keep asking questions.

    Best wishes :happy:

     

     

     

Children
No Data