Waiting for breast surgery

I had biopsies taken from my breast in February 2022 and was told that I have DCIS and grade 2 invasive carcinoma. I  was started on  Letrozole,  but I still do not have a date for surgery.  I  am very worried that the cancer will progress while I'm waiting. My husband died of lymphoma last year after having his treatment delayed.

Parents
  • Hi, sorry to hear about your situation and the loss of your husband last year.    I had similar diagnosed in January (invasive grade 1), then another area (first missed) which was zero grade DCIS.  I was so worried about the weeks of waiting so totally understand how you're feeling.
    I'm almost 7 weeks post surgery after a mastectomy.  With the two areas it was felt the right route to take and lumpectomy was ruled out when my second area was found.  I had to have a load of new biopsies done, then had all my images re-assessed and it felt like delay after delay.  We got there in the end and so will you.  
    My surgeon also told me that the lead time from diagnosis to surgery and treatment would be no longer than 12 weeks and that there was no harm in waiting a week or so.  It sounds as if you are about there so I would chase the consultants secretary and the appointment clerks to get your surgery date in the diary. You will probably find you are very close.

    Wishing you all the best with everything.  

Reply
  • Hi, sorry to hear about your situation and the loss of your husband last year.    I had similar diagnosed in January (invasive grade 1), then another area (first missed) which was zero grade DCIS.  I was so worried about the weeks of waiting so totally understand how you're feeling.
    I'm almost 7 weeks post surgery after a mastectomy.  With the two areas it was felt the right route to take and lumpectomy was ruled out when my second area was found.  I had to have a load of new biopsies done, then had all my images re-assessed and it felt like delay after delay.  We got there in the end and so will you.  
    My surgeon also told me that the lead time from diagnosis to surgery and treatment would be no longer than 12 weeks and that there was no harm in waiting a week or so.  It sounds as if you are about there so I would chase the consultants secretary and the appointment clerks to get your surgery date in the diary. You will probably find you are very close.

    Wishing you all the best with everything.  

Children
No Data