Postpone 1st chemo until after trip abroad???

My Mum is otherwise in good health and we have a trip to Paris planned in 4 weeks. She is scheduled to begin chemo in less than a week and we are unsure what is in her best interests.

She has stage 4 lung cancer that has spread to her brain. We found out about 6 weeks ago. Obviously, we do not know how she will respond to treatment, although from what I know I'm hearing, she will be more prone to infections and blood clotting (in the air), at the very least. Given that her cancer is so advanced, it makes sense to get a head start with treatment asap, which would undoubtedly be the case, if it weren't for our trip. Mum is 68 and has never been out of the UK!

Our choice is either postpone chemo for 5 weeks so that it wont intefere with her ability to enjoy herself, or go ahead with 1st chemo treatment and keep fingers crossed that she doesnt become unwell. I would appreciate any feedback on what others have experienced in this regard!

Parents
  • Hi Moowens,
    This is a toughy, my hubby had stage 4 lung with mets to numerous other bits and bobs brain included, 4 tumours.
    Looking back I would have chosen the holiday while able to enjoy it, but I have no medical training.  In his case things progressed very quickly, hopefully it won't be in your mums case, but when hubby regretted not doing things he was no longer capable of travelling even short distances in a car.
    What is mums prognosis?
    Kathy x
     

Reply
  • Hi Moowens,
    This is a toughy, my hubby had stage 4 lung with mets to numerous other bits and bobs brain included, 4 tumours.
    Looking back I would have chosen the holiday while able to enjoy it, but I have no medical training.  In his case things progressed very quickly, hopefully it won't be in your mums case, but when hubby regretted not doing things he was no longer capable of travelling even short distances in a car.
    What is mums prognosis?
    Kathy x
     

Children
  • Hi Kathy. Thanks for prompt reply. Loving your cat pic btw!!

    As I said, Mum is otherwise in good health and the oncologist hasn't given a prognosis as such. She has at least 2 legions in her brain and a 5cm one in her lung. She presented no obvious symptoms until about 2 months ago.

    The oncologist was initially saying 'cancel the holiday' but Mum is adamant that she is going. I dont know what that says about his fears for her wellbeing, but her response tells me she is determined to enjoy herself and not have regrets! He eventually came round to our thinking and scheduled the 1st session for next week i.e. asap (we met with him yesterday). I guess he is hoping that any side effects from chemo this coming Monday will have subsided by the time we travel on 21st May. But I am not really sure how it works and I know everyone responds differently!!

    ps i have a new found appreciation for how difficult your loss must have been. Sending you warm, loving energy! xo

  • Thank you Moowens,
    I was a bit concerned at giving you such a frank response, but you have to speak from the heart.
    Mum is a young chook, I am confident she will have a great time overseas, I am here honey if you need to chat, I am in Australia but from Scotland and find this site much more friendly than the Aussie one, wish I had found it a long time ago but find a lot of support from it.  The folk on here are absolutely magic.
    Kathy xx