Anyone thy3f and thy3a and decided to watch and wait?

Hello

I am new here and was wondering if anyone could offer advice as things seem to be moving too quick. I am female and 52. On being referring to ENT in April 2019 for a lump under chin, which turned out to be enlarged lymph, not of importance, it was discovered during ultrasound that I had “suspicious” looking nodules on thyroid and decided to re-scan in 6 months. At the 6 month re-scan in Nov 2019 it was decided that a FNA was required. 7 weeks later I was told the test was inadequate and this was to be repeated. Within two weeks of the second FNA my results are thy3f and thy3a, one nodule either side. I have been pencilled in for thyroid removal in 3 weeks if I want the procedure which the surgeon has recommended I have. I have been given no report in writing as yet, no information on thyroid functions, effects afterwards on thyroid replacement drugs which I am really concerned about as having a total abdominal hysterectomy with ovary removal three years ago I am still dealing with the aftermath of surgical menopause. Everyone who offers advice is saying get it taken out why are you hestitating but my heart is saying watch and wait. When I asked the surgeon if I could watch and wait he replied that he had to follow guidelines and recommend removal and if I was scanned in 6 months time what was I hoping for as the result would be the same? I would appreciate any advice thank you 

Parents
  • Hello Mer109,

    I have had an FNA in Italy at the end of January and they reported it as a Tir 3a, which is different than a Tir 3b as in the first case the patient can keep it monitored and do another biopsy in 6 months. Tir 3b instead are taken off.

    Since then I have felt the nodule growing and I got worried so this week I have seen an endo-surgeon who talked about Thyr3f (which I have not heard of before) and said that usually when it is 3 they just take it off as it has a 20% of chances.

    I am still a bit skeptical though as I have learnt that it is a matter of approach of the doctor who visits you. In Italy it seems they follow the Tir 3a / b categorisation which saves people from having their thyroid removed when the chance of the nodule being a cancer is "only" a 6-10%. That means you could be in the 80% who has their thyroid removed for kind of nothing, to some extent, which potential during and post operations risks. 
    Now, if the nodule is a cancer is good to remove it as soon as possible but if it is likely not, I wonder (cos I am not sure of what to do myself..) if it's not better to wait and keep it monitored?

    Anyone here who has heard of Tir 3 a and b?

    I feel lost in a foreign country with a big health question mark :(

Reply
  • Hello Mer109,

    I have had an FNA in Italy at the end of January and they reported it as a Tir 3a, which is different than a Tir 3b as in the first case the patient can keep it monitored and do another biopsy in 6 months. Tir 3b instead are taken off.

    Since then I have felt the nodule growing and I got worried so this week I have seen an endo-surgeon who talked about Thyr3f (which I have not heard of before) and said that usually when it is 3 they just take it off as it has a 20% of chances.

    I am still a bit skeptical though as I have learnt that it is a matter of approach of the doctor who visits you. In Italy it seems they follow the Tir 3a / b categorisation which saves people from having their thyroid removed when the chance of the nodule being a cancer is "only" a 6-10%. That means you could be in the 80% who has their thyroid removed for kind of nothing, to some extent, which potential during and post operations risks. 
    Now, if the nodule is a cancer is good to remove it as soon as possible but if it is likely not, I wonder (cos I am not sure of what to do myself..) if it's not better to wait and keep it monitored?

    Anyone here who has heard of Tir 3 a and b?

    I feel lost in a foreign country with a big health question mark :(

Children
No Data