Anyone thy3f and thy3a and decided to watch and wait?

Hello

I am new here and was wondering if anyone could offer advice as things seem to be moving too quick. I am female and 52. On being referring to ENT in April 2019 for a lump under chin, which turned out to be enlarged lymph, not of importance, it was discovered during ultrasound that I had “suspicious” looking nodules on thyroid and decided to re-scan in 6 months. At the 6 month re-scan in Nov 2019 it was decided that a FNA was required. 7 weeks later I was told the test was inadequate and this was to be repeated. Within two weeks of the second FNA my results are thy3f and thy3a, one nodule either side. I have been pencilled in for thyroid removal in 3 weeks if I want the procedure which the surgeon has recommended I have. I have been given no report in writing as yet, no information on thyroid functions, effects afterwards on thyroid replacement drugs which I am really concerned about as having a total abdominal hysterectomy with ovary removal three years ago I am still dealing with the aftermath of surgical menopause. Everyone who offers advice is saying get it taken out why are you hestitating but my heart is saying watch and wait. When I asked the surgeon if I could watch and wait he replied that he had to follow guidelines and recommend removal and if I was scanned in 6 months time what was I hoping for as the result would be the same? I would appreciate any advice thank you 

Parents
  • Hello Mer109

    I'm sorry to hear that you find yourself in this situation. It sounds as if you're in a difficult situation at the moment. 

    Obviously no one can force you to go through with the surgery but given that you've had problems with managing the symptoms of your surgical menopause it's understandable that you may be concerned about the impact of this surgery. 

    You could ask for a second opinion from another surgeon if you felt that might help with your decision. You can find more information about how you can do that here. You might also find it helpful to talk things through with one of our team of nurses. They may be able to offer some information and support. You can call them on 0808 800 4040, Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm. 

    I hope that whatever decision you make that things go smoothly for you. 

    Best wishes, 
    Jenn
    Cancer Chat moderator

Reply
  • Hello Mer109

    I'm sorry to hear that you find yourself in this situation. It sounds as if you're in a difficult situation at the moment. 

    Obviously no one can force you to go through with the surgery but given that you've had problems with managing the symptoms of your surgical menopause it's understandable that you may be concerned about the impact of this surgery. 

    You could ask for a second opinion from another surgeon if you felt that might help with your decision. You can find more information about how you can do that here. You might also find it helpful to talk things through with one of our team of nurses. They may be able to offer some information and support. You can call them on 0808 800 4040, Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm. 

    I hope that whatever decision you make that things go smoothly for you. 

    Best wishes, 
    Jenn
    Cancer Chat moderator

Children
No Data