Lump and microcalcifications - pre-diagnosis - HELP

Hi, so I found a hard lump under my breast and got referred on - had all the usual tests early this week and three biopsies from the lump via ultrasound when they also put in a metal marker. Was told it would be 1-2 weeks for biopsy results by person doing them.  Then saw consultant and was told my mammogram showed microcalcifications in the same breast that weren't there in my previous mammogram in 2017 (strangely no mention of the mammogram I had Oct 2020).  Anyway then told they need to do stereotactic biopsy on the microcalcifications under mammogram and couldn't do that on the day - up to two week wait. When I asked about the results of biopsies on lump, I was told that I won't get any results or info until they have results of both biopsies circa 6 week.  I can't find any info on having a lump and microcalcifications anywhere. I am the sort of person who needs to face possibilities and I feel very much in the dark and afraid. 
 

Has anyone heard of or experienced this please?

Parents
  •  

    Hi MickeyM,

    A very warm welcome to our forum. 

    Stereotactic biopsy will give your team the chance to look at your breast in more detail. This doesn't always signify bad news, but is a good sign that your care team is being thorough. It is impossible to find out much until the results of your biopsy come back and you know exactly what you are dealing with. You should find some information about DCIS and calcifications on the Cancer Research Website. Try to avoid consulting Dr Google, as much of his information is out of date, poorly researched and aimed at the more spectacular cases. This will only serve to worry you further.

    There is a lady called Karen1971 on the forum. She has been posting under the title ‘Waiting on breast biopsy results.’ If you do a search for her, you may be able to help one another through this.

    Please keep in touch and let us know how you get on. We are always here for you.

    Kind regards,

    Jolamine xx

  • Thank you Jolamine, your reply was really helpful and appreciated. Thank you so much for taking the time xx 

  •  

    No problem. I hope that all goes well for you.

    Kind regards,

    Jolamine xx

  • Ok, so I'm now officially in meltdown - consultant told me I would have my stereotactic biopsy within two weeks.  As you know he won't give me my results of my lump biopsies until he's done these ones.  He gave me a timescale of within two weeks for next set of biopsies and then six weeks total til I got all my results.  The stereotactic biopsy has been scheduled for 16th November - WHAT!!! I rang and they said this is first available apt - I explained consultant said within two weeks - she asked who the consultant was (like I was told or can remember!) - can't wait that long - not sleeping as it is and barely functioning now off HRT too - HELP! Xx

  • Hi MickeyM

    So sorry you have to wait around for tests/results. Sounds like there is a huge demand for their services right now. 

    Could you get in touch with your MP to try and move things along?

    When I was diagnosed with DCIS, I had to wait 3 months for my operation and then another 3 months for margin clearance. It is hard to deal with mentally and tried my best to keep busy and push it to the back of my mind.

    Keep pushing them for the care you are entitled to x

  • Hi there, 

    Thank you so much for responding.  I hadn't thought about MP. I'll ring hospital again in the morning, no-one rang me back.  I was struggling enough with wait consultant told me, but I took him at his word as he said he was trying to manage my expectations. 

    I'm sorry to hear about your DCIS diagnosis and delays in treatment.  How are you now? Was that long ago? What were your symptoms? Don't worry, I'm not trying to self-diagnose, given up on that idea - I'm just aware it will be all or nothing with both microcalcifications and a lump xx 

    Any tips for pushing it to the back of my mind/coping?  - I am so exhausted my usual exercise routine has fallen away completely.  The place they've put the marker makes it uncomfortable to wear a bra and heaven knows how long that will stay on the lump now. 
     

    Sorry for all the questions, don't respond to any you don't want to, I understand, just curious by nature. 

    Thank you so much for your support. Xx

  •  

    Hi MickeyM,

    I am so sorry to hear about this latest setback. When you phone the hospital tomorrow, they should be able to search the computer to see who your consultant was. It should also be on the referral for your biopsy, so it should be easy enough for them to find. Failing this, your GP may have heard something from him and know who he is. 

    Once you find out who he is, you can always phone his secretary, who should be able to tell you whether or not there's been a mistake made with your appointment. You may have noticed that Karen has just got the all clear after her stereotactic biopsy, so it does happen!

    This is always a worrying time and it is difficult to put matters to the back of your mind. Do you have any hobbies or pasttimes that you can become embroiled in? You will find it helpful to keep yourself busy with something like this. Failing all else, doing a jigsaw is quite a good way to lose yourself for a while.

    Kind regards,

    Jolamine xx

  • Hi Jolamine, thank you for the reply.  I chased several times today and was told someone would call me back.  This afternoon I rang again and said I was sorry for being a pain, but I didn't know if anything was going on in the background or not. I was then told that it was, but they had to consult with consultant and lots of people were involved and I would get a call back.  I thanked her and I did get a call back later and they've managed to bring my apt forward to 12th October. May not be the 'within two weeks that I was told by consultant, but it's five weeks before the original one they offered. I feel strong enough with all your support to wait another fortnight for this next stage. Thank you. 
     

    I like to run and exercise, but I'm still a bit battered and bruised from first biopsy.  Also the marker and lump is just above my bra line and so wearing any support right now is painful. 
     

    I do work full time (and some) but it's an emotionally demanding role and so it doesn't help me take my mind of it all - but I'm feeling more positive today now - just very tired xx 

     

    Thank you again for your support xx 

Reply
  • Hi Jolamine, thank you for the reply.  I chased several times today and was told someone would call me back.  This afternoon I rang again and said I was sorry for being a pain, but I didn't know if anything was going on in the background or not. I was then told that it was, but they had to consult with consultant and lots of people were involved and I would get a call back.  I thanked her and I did get a call back later and they've managed to bring my apt forward to 12th October. May not be the 'within two weeks that I was told by consultant, but it's five weeks before the original one they offered. I feel strong enough with all your support to wait another fortnight for this next stage. Thank you. 
     

    I like to run and exercise, but I'm still a bit battered and bruised from first biopsy.  Also the marker and lump is just above my bra line and so wearing any support right now is painful. 
     

    I do work full time (and some) but it's an emotionally demanding role and so it doesn't help me take my mind of it all - but I'm feeling more positive today now - just very tired xx 

     

    Thank you again for your support xx 

Children
  • Hi MickeyM,

    I am delighted to hear that you finally got somewhere today. I agree that getting your appointment brought forward to 12th October is a big improvement. - two weeks is quite long enough to wait. Keeping busy doesn't always have to be work related. Do something that you enjoy doing, so long as it helps to pass the time.

    I am glad to hear that you are feeeling more positive today and remember, that you always have our support in the meanwhile.

    Kind regards,

    Jolamine xx

  • Hi Jolamine, 

    Thank you so much for your support. I will try to occupy myself constructively. 
     

    xx

  • Hello everyone who has replied to me, really appreciated. So I've just had another shock - letter arrived with an appointment at the breast surgery clinic next Thursday. I'm very confused - rang breast unit and confirmed I still have my stereotactic biopsies booked in for next Tuesday and will wait up to two weeks for those results, but told they'd had a meeting and a clear decision has been made and I will be seeing the consultant next Thursday.  As you know, I was originally told consultant won't see me until they had all my results and now it seems they've made a clear decision on the lump and I have face to face with consultant booked in. 
     

    cant stop shaking - is this code for it's definitely cancer? Xx 

  •  

    Hi MickeyM,

    It is normal for your case to be discussed at a multidisciplinary team meeting (MDT). This is where your case will be discussed by all of the people involved in your care. This should bring the decision on a way forward closer for you and cut down on this awful waiting time, which has to be good. If you have any questions for your consultant, write them down in advance of your appointment. This will ensure that you don't forget anything important.

    I know that it's impossible not to worry, but try to look at this sensibly. This certainly does not mean that it's definitely cancer, but, even if it is, it is treatable.

    I shall be thinking of you next Thursday and hope that it all goes well. Please keep in touch.

    Kind regards,
    Jolamine xx. 

     

  • Thank you Jolamine for your wise and comforting words. 
    I just don't understand why the consultant would change his own goalposts.  This means his wanting to have the full picture on the lump and microcalcifications before seeing me and giving me any results has clearly gone out of the window.  I also don't understand why the other two appointment letters I had were to the Breast Clinic and this was says to the Breast 'surgery' clinic. XX most perplexing xx

  •  

    Hi Mickey M,

    I am only surmising, as there could be any number of reasons. Maybe some of his team thought it better to go ahead with surgery, based on their current findings and he was overruled? Maybe some of your team are due holiday leave and they want this done before they go? - it's impossible to say. I expect that they will still have the results of your biopsy back before they do your operation, if this is the plan.

    In my hospital the breast clinic and the breast surgery clinic are one and the same and are both run by the one consultant, who is my breast surgeon. I think that this is the case in most areas.

    Fortunately, you don't have too long to wait to find out what is happening. I am away for a few ays this week, but hope that you will soon have a plan of action in hand - try not to overthink things in the meantime. I hope that the biopsies go well and that you soon have a definite way forward.

    Kind regards,

    Jolamine xx

  • Thank you Jolamine, you are a true inspiration to me and everyone else on this site. I always really value reading your well thought out and supportive comments to everyone - thank you x x

    i hadn't thought about surgeon being overruled and your other comments, so thank you kindly x

    Have a lovely break, you certainly deserve it Jolamine xx 

    with greatest thanks always for your amazing levels of support and kindness. 
    Mickey xx 

  • Morning Jolamine, I know you're away, so I don't expect a reply. I just wanted to keep you updated, as promised x 

    so I’ve my initial diagnosis after speaking to the breast care nurse yesterday because it was all getting just too much.  She was lovely and is going to see me after my stereotactic biopsy on Tuesday morning (12/10). My lump is mucinous cancer (which I’d never heard of), but apparently is the least aggressive. But I also have a cluster of microcalcifications in a different area of my breast that are DCIS. Also there is a clear width of pre cancer behind it and sides of lump. I will need surgery, but they need the result of my stereotactic biopsy before they can look at my full treatment plan. I am oestrogen receptive positive (score 8/8), which I’m told is very positive. I don’t know if that’s different from HER+? I just know I’ll need anti oestrogen tablets and obviously need to stay off HRT. 

    I’m glad I know, I knew it was cancer, but I wasn’t expecting to have a ‘greedy boob’ with more than one.  

    Thanks for reading this. Mickey x

  •  

    Hi MickeyM,

    Thank you for the update. I'm sorry that your diagnosis is cancer, but your nurse is correct. If you have to have cancer, this is one of the best types to have, as it is one of the least aggressive. This is the type of cancer that I have. It is also called Colloid cancer. Only about 1% of people get it and it doesn't always show up on mammogram or ultrasound, which may be why you needed the stereotactic biopsy.

    I also have the micro calcifications and am ER positive. 8/8 is a great score, as this means that some of the hormone therapies should work well for you. Yes, ER+ is ifferent from HER2+. HER2+ is a protein which is found on the surface of breast cancers and stimulates them to grow. Generally they are more likely to grow and spread faster than most types of HER2- breast cancers.. If your cancer is HER2+ you will usually be advised to have chemotherapy and a targeted therapy such as trastuzumab (Herceptin). Targeted therapies block the growth and spread of cancer. (Breast Cancer Care)

    I hope that your stereotactic biopsy results help to indicate a definite treatment plan for you and am glad to hear that you got on well with your breast care nurse. This is helpful, as she is the person that you can contact with any worries or queries throughout your cancer journey.

    How do you feel about your diagnosis? No matter how reassuring the news is, it is always a lot to take in.

    Kind regards,

    Jolamine xx

     

  •  

    Morning Jolamine and thank you for your reply yesterday. 

    Firstly I hope you had a nice well deserved break. 

    I still haven’t had the stereotactic biopsy yet, that’s on Tuesday but is solely for the calcifications and breast tissue in respect of the dcis. 

    The mucinous lump did strangely show on the ultrasound, my sister came with me for that and saw it as my back was turned the wrong way. She said it looked like a rock, was black and had rectangular edges to it. They obviously confirmed what that was by the biopsies on that though, not sure if the look of it held any suspicious clues? 

    How strange that you and I share this very rare cancer. Can I ask is yours the ‘pure’ or ‘mixed’ version(s)? Mine is mixed with dcis and other pre cancerous cells that I assume they will also biopsy on Tuesday. 

    Thanks for asking how I feel about the diagnosis. I guess I feel better now I know I really do know, but it’s such a shock it’s like my body and mind are in a state of collapse. Not knowing my treatment plan for another three weeks (probably) will be hard as I can’t plan my time off work. I don’t want to eat into my full sick pay when I have no idea how long my treatment will take, but at the same time I work in an office with people who do not follow our mask wearing policy and see clients and I’m fully aware I cannot afford to get covid or flu now and cannot put myself at risk of that - so that’s my immediate problem to try to resolve!! 

    Thank you for explaining about HER etc that helped. 

    I will see my breast care nurse after my biopsies on Tuesday and so I need to try and think of what I need to know before my next results are in. 

    Thank you Jolamine for your ongoing kindness and support xx