Thyroid Thy3f - to have the surgery or not to have it?

I noticed my neck looked a bit fuller - initially I thought I was approaching my 40s and developing a double chin - but started to feel more tired than usual, and lots of sore throats. My ESR (inflammation indicator) was through the roof at 97. Covid hit so I used my private health insurance, and eventually was sent for an US of my neck and my neck lymth nodes were enlarged and small nodule on throid noted, U2. But no suspicion of cancer, but watchful waiting advised. This was June 2020. September 2020 another US with FNA and core biopsies of lymph nodes. Suspected Thyroiditis, lympth nodes prominent but no longer enlarged,  but nodule on thyroid had grown, was 13mm. Another US January 2021, nodule grown to 16mm, some changes noted, recommend another US in 2 months. So … another US and FNA in March 2021, and nodule is now 19mm, and I am U2/U3, but also now thy3f. I also have a small nodule on the left that they have not FNA'd. The nodule they are keeping an eye on is on the right. I saw the surgeon yesterday - she is lovely and conservative. She said she would get a second opinion on the slides from a different cytologist, as thyroiditis can make it hard to classify cells, it could be downgraded to a thy3a (or upgraded but she suspects it will not be upgraded) and then she will see me again in 1.5 wks. She said nothing to panic about, as even if it were thyroid cancer, it is very slow growing and easily treatable, so to take my time to make a decision. She said I could opt to watch and wait and rescan in 2-3 months time or have surgery - but said I was probably headed for surgery. I am resigning myself to surgery but curious to know what other peoples experiences have been?

Parents
  • Hello titchtr

    I'm sorry to hear about the position that you find yourself in. It's understandably an anxious time for you. 

    I know we've had quite a number of posts in the past on the forum about similar situations. If you use the forum search function to look for the term thy3f you should find quite a few posts that you can read through. Hopefully, if we've any members who see your post they will reply to share their experiences with you as well. 

    It sounds as if your Consultant is lovely and that you have confidence in her which is great to hear. If you'd like to chat things through with one of our nurses before your next appointment then you're most welcome to give them a call. Sometimes it can help to talk to someone not directly involved in your care. They're available Monday to Friday from 9 am to 5 pm on 0808 800 4040. 

    Whatever you decide to do, I hope that all goes smoothly for you. Keep in touch and let us know how you get on. 

    Best wishes, 
    Jenn
    Cancer Chat moderator 

Reply
  • Hello titchtr

    I'm sorry to hear about the position that you find yourself in. It's understandably an anxious time for you. 

    I know we've had quite a number of posts in the past on the forum about similar situations. If you use the forum search function to look for the term thy3f you should find quite a few posts that you can read through. Hopefully, if we've any members who see your post they will reply to share their experiences with you as well. 

    It sounds as if your Consultant is lovely and that you have confidence in her which is great to hear. If you'd like to chat things through with one of our nurses before your next appointment then you're most welcome to give them a call. Sometimes it can help to talk to someone not directly involved in your care. They're available Monday to Friday from 9 am to 5 pm on 0808 800 4040. 

    Whatever you decide to do, I hope that all goes smoothly for you. Keep in touch and let us know how you get on. 

    Best wishes, 
    Jenn
    Cancer Chat moderator 

Children
No Data