Right lobe of thyroid to be removed I'm scared

I have a multi nodular goitre which has been picked up by an MRI scan which was done last November.  I have five nodules and one is different to the others.  This has meant that I have had to have an ultrasound and then a fine needle biopsy.  The needle biopsy has not worked because it is a vascular nodule and I am now being given two options.  1) keep an eye on it with regular ultrasounds and 2) have my right thyroid lobe removed along with the suspect nodule.  My consultant has told me that he cannot say that the lump is benign and that is why he is suggesting surgery.  I am worried sick and not sure what to do.  Part of me thinks I should have the surgery with all its risks because if it is cancer then I want rid of it but the other half is thinking what if it is not cancer and I have had surgery that is unnecessary.  Are vascular nodules more likely to be cancerous?  My thyroid blood tests are all OK and I feel well.  I have no symptoms such as hoarse voice, coughing or difficulty swallowing.  The nodules are not even visible in my neck and the consultant could not feel them either.  The suspect nodule is 11 to 12mm.   How do I make the correct decision?

Parents
  • Hi 

    I am sorry to hear you are going through this at the moment,  I am going through exactly the same, and also don't know what I should do, I have a right thyroid nodule which when I had the biopsy twice came back as inconclusive, as it's 5cm and I've had previous radiation treatment they want to remove it, I've had a call and they want to do surgery soon next month, again it might not be cancerous, it's very hard and I hope you can find some answers soon, if I wasn't a worrier I'd  have it done tomorrow but it's not as easy as that so I completely understand what your going through. 

  • Hi Hammy 1978

    I had my surgery back in September 2020.  The decision was not an easy one and I was petrified that something would go wrong during surgery (still recovering from an injury sustained during a different operation).  My husband was not allowed to stay with me when I was admitted and not allowed to visit at all.  I had to stay in overnight as I had a drain put in. 

    Due to my concerns I wrote to the surgical team about my previous experience and asked that they would be careful placing my neck into position (I have lordosis and wear & tear which give me problems from time to time).  My fear got the better of me in the room where they prepare you for the operation and I had a complete melt down.  I was offered to back out of the operation but then I would never know if the lump was cancer.  My consultant heard all the commotion and decided that he would do the operation (the hospital I attended is a training hospital) so that I would spend less time in theatre.

    After the operation when I came round, I called out for my husband and was relieved to hear that I still had my voice.  My neck felt fine I am pleased to say and have had no problems since. 

    The nodule was not cancerous which was a huge relief. 

    I completely understand how you feel, you are between a rock and a hard place.  My consultant gave me the option of monitering the nodule with regualr ultrasound.  I actually opted for this in the beginning but all my family and friends thought that I should have the operation, so that was how I came to make my decision.

    I hope that you are able to make a decision and be comfortable with it. 

  • Hi ya 

    That's great that it wasn't cancerous and no further problems.  I'm exactly like you were pertrified of the surgery!, like you my family and friends have convinced me the best thing to do is have it removed!.  So that's what I plan to do.  Thanks for your reply. 

Reply Children