thickened uterus lining

I thought i had gone through the menopause until i had a tiny bit of bleeding two weeks ago, nothing heavy just period pain and a bit of pink blood, stopped after two days. My dr sent me for a scan on thursday and i was told that my uterus lining is 5.8mm just above the normal range of 5mm. Im worrying myself sick , not eating and feeling and thinking all the worst things, are they just bing over cautious , any comments would be helpful, thankyo so much. Im new to this forum and have been reading some of your stories, Wishing everyone on here the best of luck and love xx

Parents
  • I had similar, with 6mm measurement.  As it was a bleed post menopause, although not heavy,  and lining not much over,  it triggered a referral  -  I also had a polyp which they removed  biopsied during a hysteroscopy  and was probably responsible for the bleeding and pain. They may give you a hysteroscopy.  I had one under GA although most seem to be without.

    I was very up and down, it's an emotional rollercoaster as you wait for tests and results, but they are just being thorough so that if it is anything, it is caught as early as possible.

  • Hi DaisyW

    thankyou for your reply , you’ve made me feel a lot better , I had a scan vaginally and it showed I had fibroids , whether they have caused my bleed I’m not sure , , I have an awful habit of going on Dr Google and convincing myself that i have cancer , as you said it is a emotional roller coaster!  Did your biopsy come back clear apart from the polyps ? Xx

  • Hi Anna7

    The only symptom I had was post menapausal bleeding. When I had an ultrasound they found s thickened womb lining. I then had a hysteriscooy where they found a suspicious area in the lining from which they took biopsies.

     

    And thank you I am well. Waiting for my first face to face oncologist appointment for a year. The previous two follow up appointments were made by telephone due y=to the pandemic.
     

    Sundial

  • Did they find the suspicious area during your scan too or just on the hysteroscopy?

  • Hi jenny would you like sharing your results

  • Hi

    Bless, you sound like you have had to deal with alot and still give encouragement to others x

    I have had lower back and hip pain with swollen tummy. My gp sent me for a vaginally scan yesterday .I was told to call gp in a week. But within 3 hours I recieved a call from my gp who said I have polyp and thickening and has referred me to a gynaecologist.  I am 57 soon and I am menopausal,  do I need to worry? 

    I do know that at my age my lining should be thin. I don't know why she would call me, hope it's no C word

    Hugs

    June xx

  • Hi Twin33

    i bet it was a bit of s shock your gp calling/ However it shows they are on the ball and trying to get things sorted quickly which is good. I don't think they can tell why there is thickening from a scan so its best to get it checked by the experts. Try not to worry too much and definitely do not consult dr google who always seems to tell you the worst case scenario. I'm not saying don't worry because that's impossible when you don't know what the outcome will be. Just think it's more likely to be nothing than something. And if it is something you are in the best position to get it sorted.

    'Take care and try not to think about it too much. Not easy I know but concentrate on the positive, Let me know how you get on. I'll be here.

    Sundial

  • Awwww thankyou for the reassurance.  I also had a recent ct that showed nodule on adrenal glands and awaiting further investigation. 

    I am falling to bits x

    I will keep you updated xx thankyou , and you look after yourself too , your such a positive lady

     

    June xx

  • Hi June

    You are very welcome. We've all been there.

    Sundial

  • Hi I have had a thickening of the lining of uterus for the last 12 years caused by adenomyosis and I have enlarged fibroids the size of tennis balls and heavy bleeding and pain during periods. I have had so many scans during this time I have lost count that thankfully have all come back clear.

    In the last 4 weeks I have again been sent to gynae oncology as my CA125 if 488 when it should be 35! This sounds bad but my CA125 has been raised for many years and no cancer detected. I have had MRI, CT, TransVaginal and PET scans which all show no cancer, yet still my gynaecologist is pushing me towards abdominal Hysterectomy with removal of ovaries even though she has told me my ovaries are normal. I feel pressurised and uncomfortable. I am scared as it will put me in to a sudden menopause when I am currently peri menopausal and coping. I thought I wanted Hysterectomy to get rid of pain and bleeding but feel I will just be causing myself loads more of nasty symptoms to cope with and not improving my quality of life. I am 50 and about 2/3 yrs from natural menopause. Thinking that I would prefer to menopause naturally.

    I feel so anxious and upset that I am not eating or sleeping. I felt so pressured when in with my consultant that I signed the consent form for full Hysterectomy when I am really not happy or sure about it. I then rang her office in tears like a mad woman. I am not coping and need help/advice. I was told I can retract my consent and refuse surgery if I want to but don't know what to do.

     

     

  • Like you I thought I would live with my various gynae symptoms, including thickened womb lining, heavy bleeding, fibroids, after tests gave reassurance not cancer (my pipelle biopsy was normal and CA125 low) until I hit menopause. I'm currently waiting on an FSH test to decide if I've actually hit menopause or not. If I have then my recent ultrasound scan is very abnormal. If I haven't, it'll be a very late menopause. I'll be 60 in a couple of years. I was older than you when I had my first gynae investigations and thought I'll just tough it out until menopause to avoid surgery under general... Six years later and still can't say I've hit menopause.

    I can't advise you on what to do. All I can say is when I decided to tough things out I never thought I'd have so many more years with symptoms. Good luck making your difficult decision as to how to proceed. Assuming you've written down all the pros and cons of each option and still can't decide, you'll have to go with your gut instinct. If I were you and felt pushed into something I really couldn't go ahead with right now, rather than cancel I'd ask if I could postpone even if just for a few weeks to give me more time to psychologically prepare myself. I think you have four options not two, viz cancel, postpone, go ahead as consultant wants or negotiate to keep your ovaries so not such a big operation as suggested. 

    Have you called the nurse helpline on this site to help talk through your options with an independent nurse? They would be better placed to advise on options than me. I can see why keeping ovaries might be deemed risky and nurses would be best placed to advise further/help you frame any discussion with your Consultant. Good luck! X

Reply
  • Like you I thought I would live with my various gynae symptoms, including thickened womb lining, heavy bleeding, fibroids, after tests gave reassurance not cancer (my pipelle biopsy was normal and CA125 low) until I hit menopause. I'm currently waiting on an FSH test to decide if I've actually hit menopause or not. If I have then my recent ultrasound scan is very abnormal. If I haven't, it'll be a very late menopause. I'll be 60 in a couple of years. I was older than you when I had my first gynae investigations and thought I'll just tough it out until menopause to avoid surgery under general... Six years later and still can't say I've hit menopause.

    I can't advise you on what to do. All I can say is when I decided to tough things out I never thought I'd have so many more years with symptoms. Good luck making your difficult decision as to how to proceed. Assuming you've written down all the pros and cons of each option and still can't decide, you'll have to go with your gut instinct. If I were you and felt pushed into something I really couldn't go ahead with right now, rather than cancel I'd ask if I could postpone even if just for a few weeks to give me more time to psychologically prepare myself. I think you have four options not two, viz cancel, postpone, go ahead as consultant wants or negotiate to keep your ovaries so not such a big operation as suggested. 

    Have you called the nurse helpline on this site to help talk through your options with an independent nurse? They would be better placed to advise on options than me. I can see why keeping ovaries might be deemed risky and nurses would be best placed to advise further/help you frame any discussion with your Consultant. Good luck! X

Children
  • Hi there

    thankyou so much for your reply, it's really helpful to hear from someone who is in a similar situation. I didn't realise you can speak to a nurse on here as it's the first time I have ever posted a message.

    I am frightened of leaving the ovaries as my CA125 is high although the doctor says could well be caused by the adenomyosis and fibroids. My ovaries are normal on all scans done.

    i am scared that if they take them I am going to go into a sudden horrific menopause which has long term health implications with the sudden drop in hormone production (loss of sex drive, hair loss, sweats etc) mind you I guess I may not get all of the symptoms I have read about particularly when I am so close to menopause at 50yrs.

    i have now requested another appointment with the surgeon for me and my husband to go to before surgery takes place (difficult with current COVID restrictions) We have only been married 4 years and we are both worried about consequences of sudden menopause. 

    I will def contact the nurse on here and see if they can help with some of my fears.

    thank you so much I really do appreciate the help and advice x

  • Hi again - hope you manage to get another appointment with Consultant as requested. Nurse helpline is Monday to Friday 9 to 5 – number at bottom of page. I've called them myself and nurses are really helpful in terms of framing issues, talking things through, etc. I totally get why you are frightened of leaving the ovaries because you can't know what is causing the raised CA125. The medical staff will be thinking if you're going through surgery then they want to make sure you're as cancer-safe as can be, so best to take the ovaries.

    Hope both your appointment and chat with nurse go well. I'm hoping I can get my FSH result early next week, but might have to wait for GP to return from leave. So a nerve-wracking week ahead. Not an easy time for you. Hope you can find some time to relax over the weekend. x

  • Hi 

    good luck with your FSH and I so hope for you that there is nothing seriously wrong, it's such a worry isn't it.

    you also please try to stay calm and relax which I know is rich coming from someone who is a total mess.

    have a great weekend