Random fevers, really worried

I have got myself worried sick from googling too much! (I have chronic health anxiety) 

About 2 months ago I would randomly wake at night feeling shaky, nearly like I was too hot/cold at the same time. It was weird but only happened randomly so I never thought too much of it. 

2 weeks ago I woke hot and sweaty and my temp was 38.2. I went to the doctor and she said my tonsils were swollen with puss on them and I def had tonsillitis (even though I had no throat pain) she put me on antibiotics. She took bloods and a throat swab. Bloods were normal and the swab was clear. Since then I dont see any puss on my throat and dont have any other symptoms apart from I keep getting random low grade fevers! I seem to go a few days with no fever then it comes back again, it makes me feel so uncomfortable and keeps me awake at night. 

Of course google has scared me silly! I cant see a doctor for a few days and I'm trying to keep it together but its hard. Im currently on holiday with my kids and this is all I can think of. Everything I read online points to random fevers being a really bad sign. Has anyone experienced this? Im so scared :( 

Parents
  • Do you have any other symtoms? I have fevers after doing little walking of 10 mins or housework of 39 sometimes 40 and when resting mostly 38 or 38.5. The only restbite i get is the mornings. My fever goes up throughout the day and seem to suffer in the night. I have excessive sweating due to the fevers. All my bloods are normal except slightly raised blood count and immflamatory markers were slightly raised not enough to indicate infection. Ive had urine cultures which negative. I feel tired constantly and i recently had a episode of chest pain which came on suddenly lasted about 10 mins. I have shooting pains in the neck and under arm on left side but no lumps tp be felt. I have had left sided flank pain since october thats where it all started. I had a week where i itched every where but after antihitamines i only itch on my neck all over now. No rash. Ive lost a dress size amd a half since october. Ive been by heamtology consultant who dismissed me because bloods were 'normal'. GP feels i am showing b symtoms of lymphoma. Hope it all gets sorted. I know this is scary but it could just be from the infection. It can stay in the system for a few weeks. Keep an eye on it. If you are getting ill more often and taking longer to get over the illness go to GP. 

  • I dont have any other symptoms apart from the fever. I supposidly had tonsillitis 2 weeks ago even though my throat wasnt sore at all! I think the glands in my neck are up too. Im travelling home from holiday today and hope to get in with the doctor tomorrow! Are you checking your temperature constantly? I cant help but check mine all the time! Do you always have a temp or does it sometimes be normal? Mine was normal for a few days and now its up again. I feel drained constantly and nausous. Its stopping me sleeping as I wake up every hour feeling hot and sweaty. You must be going crazy with worry too! Are you managing to hold it together? Im really struggling :(

  • Apologies if you’ve stated it in a previous post, but when is your haematology appointment?

    I think you need to see this specialist soon - at the very least to put your mind at ease. Sounds like you are doing all you can to solve the mystery by chasing up the medics, so I’d try to leave google alone in the meantime if you can. Don’t be surprised if you end up being referred on to another discipline though - I’ve seen two ENT guys, a Dermatologist, a Neurologist and a Respiratory Specialist so far this year. Like a giant game of medical pinball!

  • I went to the doctor on friday. She said she did red flag me and I should have been seen by now. She rang the booking centre and was told it was downgraded to "urgent" which means I have to be seen in 8 weeks. That was 4 weeks ago so I've 4 weeks left to wait.

    She said she isnt concerned about the purple blotches as they are healing and have nearly went away. She thinks they might be bug bites. I also have to get my bloods repeated next friday. I left her appt feeling a bit better. But over the weekend I feel worse again. I woke up with a sore throat on saturday and it hurt to swallow. It's not sore today but I checked and my tonsils are swollen up, the right one more so than the left. I also think the nodes in my neck are swollen up. Now I'm really anxious again as lymphoma can be found in the tonsils. Im annoyed at myself that I didnt get the doctor to check me over, I dont know if its worth going back to her or not when I have an urgent referral already. I just dont want to wait another month like this! Everytime I sleep my temperature goes up, its driving me mad :( 

  • If it’s really eating at you, I would go see your GP regarding the tonsils - rather than wait a month.

    Sounds like you just can’t seem to get any respite - and I can very much relate to that. Obviously, if the consecutive ailments turn out to be benign / not serious then it’s a definite blessing (especially given what some are going through), but being perennially ill is no fun really.

    I am no better and I’ve had to see my GP to get my CT result explained in plain English! Follow up appointment is now 28/01/2020. Crazy really.

  • I'm going to wait a few days and if my tonsils dont go down I will see what she says. I would consider paying private to see ENT about my neck lumps and tonsils. Theres a clinic near me that can usually see you within a week. But I would need a referral letter from my doctor so would have to ask her if its worth doing this in the meantime while waiting to see hematology. I just dont feel comfortable waiting another month when this is already going on 7 weeks for me! 

    Did your doctor explain your ct then? If your follow up is so long away then surely that means they arent concerned and you dont have anything serious going on? Were you not able to bring it forward to December? 

  • Hi, if you can afford to jump the queue and peace of mind matters a lot, then go for it.

    They brought my appointment ‘forward’ to early December then I called to see if there had been a cancellation to free up a slot sooner. I was in luck and I got an appointment for last Friday pm - only to be called that Friday morning to be told they’d made an appointment with the wrong specialist in error (also applies to the December option) and that I had to revert to the original January appointment!

    I get what you’re saying wrt it being unlikely it’s serious given the delayed follow-up, but I want to arrest any further deterioration of my bronchiectasis, and I need guidance and probably low dose antibiotics to do that. The GP that I saw is a good bloke and did his best to explain the CT result but the bloods results were beyond his ‘all rounder’ capability and do need a specialist to explain whether or not I need antibiotics and/or a vaccination against certain bacteria. I do need to speak with an expert on lungs and chronic coughs. So, I suspect I’ll cough up (sorry!) for a private appointment that will no doubt miraculously make the specialist available.

  • The waiting times are ridiculous sometimes aren't they! You'll have to find out exactly what kind of specialist you need to see to make sure you can book privatly for that one. I hope you get sorted, January is definitely too long a wait! Do you still have the constant cough? Is there any ease in it? Has all your other symptoms went away that you had at the start? I know you had fevers and nightsweats etc. 

    I've just woke up and checked and my tonsils seem slightly smaller, maybe they will go down by themselves. If they do I'm not sure if theres a point in seeing ENT? I might be best waiting to see heamatology. Its hard to know what to do! 

  • Hi, I’d suggest you give it until the end of the week to see if the shrinkage continues. If so, you are probably right to be patient, if not, you may be as well chasing up a private appointment. But it’s your decision at the end of the day, as only you know what feels right/wrong........I’m just guessing really.

    Cough is bad first thing and late afternoon, and I have a cold now which exacerbates the symptoms. Wheeze/Rales at night when led down, stiff neck continues, as does the fatigue, but no night sweats (they went away back in May). 

    My consultant doesn’t do private appointments, apparently, but I’ve managed to get the NHS one brought forward (with the right guy this time!) to 22nd October. Still not ideal, but a lot better than January.

     

  • Thats great you were able to get an appt in October! Was it a cancellation? Sorry you have on going symptoms! Thankfully some of them have subsided though! 

    Im sneezing alot and have a bit of a runny nose so maybe I have something viral that will go away. Still doesnt answer 7 weeks of fevers in my sleep. I'm so concerned at this stage and cant stop googling in my spare time :( 

     

  • Yes, a cancellation I think. Maybe we’ve both got severe allergies and have no business being on this site!! It’s getting to that diagnosis that’s the frustrating bit.

    Clearly, I hope the cause of your fever is benign and treatable, and that you perhaps also benefit from a cancellation bringing your appointment forward.

  • I finally got to speak to the Respiratory Specialist over the phone today to discuss the CT result. In summary, I do not have a malignancy or fibrosis and he seems to be sure the collapsed region is the aftermath of severe infection. In terms of the Bronchiectasis, he said I’ll need to discuss a plan of action in October when I see his colleague, but it only deteriorates in some people whereas others lead a long and manageable life. He’d better be right, because it seems like the symptoms aren’t getting any better any time soon.

    Fingers crossed you get some good news.

Reply
  • I finally got to speak to the Respiratory Specialist over the phone today to discuss the CT result. In summary, I do not have a malignancy or fibrosis and he seems to be sure the collapsed region is the aftermath of severe infection. In terms of the Bronchiectasis, he said I’ll need to discuss a plan of action in October when I see his colleague, but it only deteriorates in some people whereas others lead a long and manageable life. He’d better be right, because it seems like the symptoms aren’t getting any better any time soon.

    Fingers crossed you get some good news.

Children