Thyroid nodule...inconclusive biopsy and possible surgery

Hi Everyone, 

I went to the doctors with a pulled neck muscle around 3 months ago and whilst she was examining me she found 2 swollen lymph nodes which she wanted checking out so I was referred for an ultra sound scan. Whilst having my scan they found a small nodule on my thyroid but was reassured that it looked fine but he would be mentioning it on my report. I was then referred to ent by my gp and the consultant there had a good look at my throat etc and seemed unconcerned but wanted the thyroid consultant to look at it. When I got to the thyroid consultant he seemed very concerned  and told me the nodule looked “abnormal” and was sent straight for a biopsy! After a a scary 2 weeks my results have come back as inconclusive and I have been given the option of another biopsy or to have it removed. Forgot to mention that my thyroid is also slightly over active and I have an appt with endricology in Nov. 

Has anyone else been in a similar situation? My anxiety is through the roof 

 

Emma

Parents
  • Hi Emma,

    I am in a very similar position at the moment however I am waiting for my biopsy results to come back. I had the biopsy done last Monday along with a CT scan. Having spoken to my consultants secretary, she’s advised that my CT results are back however the biopsy results are still with the lab (even though my radiologist at the time told me they’d be back within 4 days). They won’t tell me my CT results until I get my biopsy back so the consultant can paint a full picture which is understandable. 

    I have lumps on both sides of my thyroid, the right coming in at 4mm. My consultant has told me he’s pretty certain I’ll need surgery in the near future but I’m not sure if they’ll remove the whole thyroid or not yet.

    I have been told that it could be thyroid cancer from one doctor and the next isn’t so sure - so I’m really unsure what I am supposed to think - just trying to stay positive and block it out but I still haven’t got a results appointment booked which is frustrating!! I was told I must cancel a two week holiday for these tests and it’s been 8 weeks since my initial two week urgent referral. 

    I feel frustrated for you that after a long two week wait your results have come back as inconclusive and you’re now having to weigh up the pros and cons of having surgery or opting for another biopsy. Hopefully you’ll figure it out and stay positive (easier said than done - I know!) 

     

    xx 

     

     

  • Hi, i had a large nodule last year and my results came back as negative however due to the size I had half of my thyroid removed (it was approx 5cm but the operation was optional). Once removed over a year later they sent it to histology and today I was officially told that I have cancer. However it’s the best of bad news as the one I have is the most common which is easily and quickly curable and it is contained. Looks like I’ll need the remainder of my thyroid removed and possible radiaiodine treatment but this is being confirmed tomorrow when I go back. 

    Im always available if you want to message me with any questions. It appears the waiting for results is the worst! I had to wait a month! X

  • Hi,

    If it's causing you to struggle to breathe then I'd be looking to get it removed even if it is benign. Did you mention the breathing difficulty to your endo?

     

  • yes, it's worse when I lie down, he said the surgery is very complex and will leave a 'nasty looking scar and will possibly have to take thyroxine medication for life. that doesn't bother me at all. he didn't sound keen at all. my worry is why my neck is starting to feel tight and the lump does not move up and down when I swallow, when it did so only a few weeks ago. waiting on my results feels like an eternity! they said should be back in a week and it has now been 2 weeks 

  • Possibly its grown so big it's pressing on your airway?

    Did he say why he's not keen to remove it?

    No harm to get a 2nd opinion if you're not happy. 

     

  • he said wait see what biopsy results show. feels like forever! hopefully I will get letter by next week 

  • Hi Bardon, 

    I'm in a similar position to you. They found a 3.2cm nodules in right side of thyroid and fine needle byopsy came bk as inconclusive finding follicular cells. I had my right lobe removed just over 4 weeks ago and have an appointment tomorrow to discus results. I am hoping I don't need another operation as thyroid is working fine. Can I ask what type of cancer did they find? Can't stop thinking bout it

  • Hi, 

     

    ive been having tests on my nodule for nearly a year now. 

    The first biopsy came back inconclusive (they didn't get enough cell) 

    So then I had a nuc med scan to rule out if it was cancer or not .... 

    the results came back neither cancer or no cancer so I was advised to get another biopsy . 

    I had the biopsy and apparently again it come back inbetween cancer and no cancer so I need surgery to have half nodule removed . 

    I keep going over it in my head and think ... is that the only option ???!  Like can't they do it again , is the only option to have surgery ?! 

    it feels so extreme and because the doctor was very blunt and un-informative I feel like I've been left in the dark ... no information on wether it's grown etc . Like he's just jumped straight to the surgery option . 

     

    Anybody experienced anything similar or have shy more information on this to educate me more ?! 
     

    thanks 

  • Hi LucyB,

     

    It sounds like it's taken a very long time to get to this point. I'm sorry you've been on such a long ride already.

     

    I also had an indeterminate biopsy result. Your biopsy should have a code (mine was Thy3F) which means the cells have characteristics of both benign and malignant cells. Unfortunately the only way to tell is to remove them and the surrounding tissue and look at them under a microscope. They also dye them and do all sorts of other things. I had half of my thyroid removed in August and I've recovered really well. I was home the same day. The wait afterwards was the worst part - it was 6 long weeks till my results came in. 
     

    I had a microcarcinoma and pre-cancer cells in mine which weren't a million miles away from metastasising so I'm really happy they got it out. It really is the safest option. I know others who haven't been so lucky and it really isn't a risk I'd want to take. I'll be on thyroxine for life but taking a little tablet each day is a small price to pay to eliminate cancer. I had a CT scan last week to double check we're all good and hopefully I'll just need annual scans on my remaining thyroid (and another nodule ) going forward if it comes back clear. 
     

    Feel free to message me if you need to talk it through or have any questions. It's not an easy journey but you'll get there! Most people don't even need thyroxine and most people have happy news when the results come in ️ 
     

    Sophie x

  • Thankyou soo much for your response !!! 
    That has made me feel so much better and reassured! 

    I'm so glad you recovered well and they got it before it progressed! 
     

    you're right and I know it's the best option I just feel I have no info to go off and I know nothing about this (apart from googling) .... so have a million questions... at the time I was just blank and the doctor was insensitive (as they usually are) ! 
     

    How's your scar doing and was you ok to swallow after etc ? 
    apparently my appt is in 2/3 weeks . So should all be happening soon. 
    how long did you have off work etc ? 
     

    Very frustrating to wait soo long for your results  !! Onwards and upwards though now :) xxx
     

     

  • Sorry I got confused and put the wrong name on my last reply

     

    Your neck will look a little bit scary for the first few days. Mine is a really fine line now and it's fading every day. After about 3-4 weeks you can start to gently massage a little bio oil or olive oil into it. I don't think mine will be noticeable at all in 6 months to a year! 
     

    They advise you to have 2 weeks off work but I needed 3. I was up and about in a couple of days but my thyroid levels weren't quite right so I struggled with tiredness (I still am actually). You'll also be told to shield for 2 weeks prior to surgery and 2 weeks after I think. Make sure you book some shopping deliveries! 
     

    Swallowing was fine. It was just like a mild sore throat. I was able to eat almost immediately after surgery. My voice was okay too but I know some people have a hoarse voice. 
     

    What do you know about your nodule?

     

    If I can offer one piece of advice - get copies of all of your results from the hospital. I'm set up with it so they email me anything that comes through. I was told I had cancer by mistake and having my results allowed me to challenge it. It's good to understand as much as you can. 
     

    Actually I'll offer more advice - I know it's hard but try to stay away from Google. It can really eat away at you. Especially when you're waiting. I was on it a lot and in hindsight, I made it a lot harder on myself. Understanding that you can't control it and knowing that what will be will be makes it a lot easier.

     

    Honestly, if you have any questions just pop them over and good luck! x x

  • Hi sophiew,

    I'm new to the forum and in a similar situation to you. 6 weeks waiting for your results must have been hell!

    My basic chronology is:

     

    Nov 2017 - US scan discovered an indeteminate nodule about 5-6mm.

    Mar 2018 - Further US scan showed no significant growth.

    Dec 2018 - 1st biopsy determined as Thy3a / U3.

    May 2019 - 2nd biopsy where the nodule was 6-7mm and the needle felt 'crunchy' and believed to have hit psammoma bodies. Nodule was re-graded to Thy3a / U4

    May 2020 - Operation for hemi-thyroidectomy cancelled due to Covid.

    02/11/2020 - Operation completed. 1 night stay in hospital.

    I have an appointment for histology results on 26/11 so fingers crossed.

    Basically, from the word go my nodule has been small and remained that way but was indeterminate. The 2nd 'crunchy' needle biopsy wasn't expected but it seems that it is an indicator from many studies that maybe something isn't quite right. I'm hoping everything will be fine and that I get to keep the left lobe! Here's hoping! :happy:

     

Reply
  • Hi sophiew,

    I'm new to the forum and in a similar situation to you. 6 weeks waiting for your results must have been hell!

    My basic chronology is:

     

    Nov 2017 - US scan discovered an indeteminate nodule about 5-6mm.

    Mar 2018 - Further US scan showed no significant growth.

    Dec 2018 - 1st biopsy determined as Thy3a / U3.

    May 2019 - 2nd biopsy where the nodule was 6-7mm and the needle felt 'crunchy' and believed to have hit psammoma bodies. Nodule was re-graded to Thy3a / U4

    May 2020 - Operation for hemi-thyroidectomy cancelled due to Covid.

    02/11/2020 - Operation completed. 1 night stay in hospital.

    I have an appointment for histology results on 26/11 so fingers crossed.

    Basically, from the word go my nodule has been small and remained that way but was indeterminate. The 2nd 'crunchy' needle biopsy wasn't expected but it seems that it is an indicator from many studies that maybe something isn't quite right. I'm hoping everything will be fine and that I get to keep the left lobe! Here's hoping! :happy:

     

Children
No Data