Thyroid nodule...inconclusive biopsy and possible surgery

Hi Everyone, 

I went to the doctors with a pulled neck muscle around 3 months ago and whilst she was examining me she found 2 swollen lymph nodes which she wanted checking out so I was referred for an ultra sound scan. Whilst having my scan they found a small nodule on my thyroid but was reassured that it looked fine but he would be mentioning it on my report. I was then referred to ent by my gp and the consultant there had a good look at my throat etc and seemed unconcerned but wanted the thyroid consultant to look at it. When I got to the thyroid consultant he seemed very concerned  and told me the nodule looked “abnormal” and was sent straight for a biopsy! After a a scary 2 weeks my results have come back as inconclusive and I have been given the option of another biopsy or to have it removed. Forgot to mention that my thyroid is also slightly over active and I have an appt with endricology in Nov. 

Has anyone else been in a similar situation? My anxiety is through the roof 

 

Emma

Parents
  • Hi Emma,

    I am in a very similar position at the moment however I am waiting for my biopsy results to come back. I had the biopsy done last Monday along with a CT scan. Having spoken to my consultants secretary, she’s advised that my CT results are back however the biopsy results are still with the lab (even though my radiologist at the time told me they’d be back within 4 days). They won’t tell me my CT results until I get my biopsy back so the consultant can paint a full picture which is understandable. 

    I have lumps on both sides of my thyroid, the right coming in at 4mm. My consultant has told me he’s pretty certain I’ll need surgery in the near future but I’m not sure if they’ll remove the whole thyroid or not yet.

    I have been told that it could be thyroid cancer from one doctor and the next isn’t so sure - so I’m really unsure what I am supposed to think - just trying to stay positive and block it out but I still haven’t got a results appointment booked which is frustrating!! I was told I must cancel a two week holiday for these tests and it’s been 8 weeks since my initial two week urgent referral. 

    I feel frustrated for you that after a long two week wait your results have come back as inconclusive and you’re now having to weigh up the pros and cons of having surgery or opting for another biopsy. Hopefully you’ll figure it out and stay positive (easier said than done - I know!) 

     

    xx 

     

     

  • Hi, i had a large nodule last year and my results came back as negative however due to the size I had half of my thyroid removed (it was approx 5cm but the operation was optional). Once removed over a year later they sent it to histology and today I was officially told that I have cancer. However it’s the best of bad news as the one I have is the most common which is easily and quickly curable and it is contained. Looks like I’ll need the remainder of my thyroid removed and possible radiaiodine treatment but this is being confirmed tomorrow when I go back. 

    Im always available if you want to message me with any questions. It appears the waiting for results is the worst! I had to wait a month! X

  • I’ve been sweaty and keep waking up in the night very tired all the time with no energy anxiety so yes most symptoms 

  • I'm no doctor, but it sounds like typical hyperthyroidism symptoms, which I think works in your favour (usually benign). Blood tests alone don't conclusively determine whether it's benign or malignant. In my case, my bloods were "normal" and I had cancer. Seemingly bloods are usually "normal" in thyroid cancer cases. 

     

    Have u had any hoarseness or pain in neck?

     

    Once they find a nodule they have to check it out to see whether its benign or not so they can take it out or monitor it. The results should be back quick from it - it should give some indication of what they think it is. 

  • Apologies for the very late reply, but my experience was that they found cancer in the removed half, but I have not had to have the other side out. 

  • Mine was inconclusive first test but she said she could do it again and again but come back the same, but I didn't know it was cancer until it was tested when it was out, everyone can be so different. Hope all goes well

  • I'm going through similar problems it's been longer than a month I hope that things go well for you

  • hi. I'm new to this  about 8 month ago I found a lump by chance. I had blood tests and my thyroid hormone levels were all normal. had 3 ultrasounds  this revealed that I have a lot of cysts on my thyroid. 1 has grown from 1.5 cm to 4 in space of 3 month. I have also had a hemorrhage which the sonogropger was not worried about as said appears to have clotted. I had a biopsy 2 weeks ago and waiting on my results. why I'm so worried is that up until a few weeks ago the lump moved when I swallowed. now it does not and my neck feels tight and struggling to breathe.my endocrinologist doesn't sound keen to have me have it removed if it is benign which he thinks it is. but surely I should be given the choice as I have a very noticeable lump on my neck and it's causing some discomfort 

  • Hi,

    If it's causing you to struggle to breathe then I'd be looking to get it removed even if it is benign. Did you mention the breathing difficulty to your endo?

     

  • yes, it's worse when I lie down, he said the surgery is very complex and will leave a 'nasty looking scar and will possibly have to take thyroxine medication for life. that doesn't bother me at all. he didn't sound keen at all. my worry is why my neck is starting to feel tight and the lump does not move up and down when I swallow, when it did so only a few weeks ago. waiting on my results feels like an eternity! they said should be back in a week and it has now been 2 weeks 

  • Possibly its grown so big it's pressing on your airway?

    Did he say why he's not keen to remove it?

    No harm to get a 2nd opinion if you're not happy. 

     

  • he said wait see what biopsy results show. feels like forever! hopefully I will get letter by next week 

Reply Children
No Data