Dermatology wait times - changing trust?

Hello! 

Wondering if other people would be able to share their experiences of NHS dermatology wait times?

I was referred by a GP for abnormal mole/suspected melanoma and seen by a dermatologist for initial consultation within 2 weeks. Based on the 28 day/Faster Diagnosis Standard I expected my excision to be very soon after that appointment. 

I've just been given my appointment for my excision, on 7th of July - that means I'll have waited 61 days from referral to excision, and based on what they've predicted will probably reach 80 days before I get test results/diagnosis. 

I was wondering whether this is pretty much standard across the NHS at the moment? I understand there's nothing else the hospital can do as there are other people waiting, but was wondering - if this wait is out of the ordinary - if I could request to change trusts on that basis? 

Any experience or advice very much appreciated! 

Parents
  • Hi,

    Unfortunately this is currently standard in the UK. Some hospitals are taking longer than others so the wait can be anything from 6 to 8 weeks for a biopsy excision. A lack of dermatologists, haematologists, the Covid backlog and more people seeking medical assessment due to worrying lesions is causing these delays. Even private consultations/surgery is taking a long time. All I can suggest, if you haven't already done so, is to tell the hospital that you are happy to take a cancellation if one comes up (if you are able to drop everything at short notice). 

    Good luck & I hope all goes well. Please let us know how you get on,

    Angie (Stage 3 melanoma patient since 2009)

Reply
  • Hi,

    Unfortunately this is currently standard in the UK. Some hospitals are taking longer than others so the wait can be anything from 6 to 8 weeks for a biopsy excision. A lack of dermatologists, haematologists, the Covid backlog and more people seeking medical assessment due to worrying lesions is causing these delays. Even private consultations/surgery is taking a long time. All I can suggest, if you haven't already done so, is to tell the hospital that you are happy to take a cancellation if one comes up (if you are able to drop everything at short notice). 

    Good luck & I hope all goes well. Please let us know how you get on,

    Angie (Stage 3 melanoma patient since 2009)

Children