Ending breastfeeding for core biopsy

Hi,

I’m a Mummy to a 6 month old and currently breastfeeding. A few weeks back I went to the GP due to a lump in my right breast, thinking it was probably a blocked milk duct. My GP said she thought it seemed like a cyst, but to be sure referred me to the breast clinic.

The consultant who seen me immediately said he thought it was a fibroadenoma and didn’t seem concerned, during the same appointment I was sent to have an ultrasound, where they done a fine needle aspiration biopsy. Then went back into the consultant go again said he was reassured it was fibroadenoma, and gave me a leaflet explaining what it was. 


Anyway a couple of weeks past then I got a letter for phone consultation, which was for 22nd August but he called me a week earlier, so I wasn’t prepared with any questions! Anyway he said no concerns from the results but will need a further core biopsy and asked me if I was still breastfeeding, to which I replied yes. He then asked when I will be stopping in weeks or months? I said probably more like months, he said we can’t do the biopsy until you stop breastfeeding so will make you an appointment for few months time. 

My appointment is 3rd November….I have now received a copy of a letter addressed to my GP stating the lesion is category C3 and need the core biopsy. 

I am now in dilemma…do I stop breastfeeding right now an get this checked out? If I stop breastfeeding and it’s nothing am I going to feel guilty that I didn’t give our baby the best start in life? 
How often is C3 results bad news? I can’t stop worrying about what to do for the best!

Any advice or experiences around this would help.

x

Parents Reply Children
  • So you had a biopsy then? From what I’ve read up, B category’s from biopsy and C categories from cytology which is small sample through fine needle aspiration. And the letter to my GP was very short and not very informative just that it came back as C3 so needs biopsy. From what I found - C3: unusual, abnormal or uncertain but
    probably benign. 

    who knows?! All I can think is what if I continue to breastfeed and it’s not good news, all that time wasted where i could be having treatment if I needed it?! Don’t they think it’s urgent enough to tell me to stop feeding now? 

    i think I’ll be calling the consultant about this as I need more answers to a lot of questions I have. 

    What is happening with you now then? What further tests will you be having? 

    x

  • Yes I had a biopsy and then had the lump removed via vacuum assisted excision on Tuesday so I'm waiting for the results now. They said mine showed lobular neoplasia which are atypical cells so I'm hoping that's all and there's nothing else lurking. The wait for the results is killing me already!!

    It sounds like they are not too concerned about yours but want to do the biopsy to be sure. I would definitely speak to your consultant as you say, ask them the questions so that you have all of the information you need to make your decision x

  • Hi, how did your results go?