Mole biopsy plan changed

Hi All

I was wondering if anyone had ever had a similar situation to me. Apologies for the long post! 

I was referred to the dermatologist for a new oval shaped mole that had a burning, itchy sensation. The doctor put it through as a routine referral as he wasn't too worried but the hospital contacted me within a few weeks saying I had to make an urgent appointment (freak out number one )

 

At the appointment I very much expected them to say it's nothing but the doctor said she would get me back in another time to take it off and test it, just because it looks different to my other moles. She said the results would come by letter around 6 weeks after that. 
She took photos and went in to see the consultant to double check these and the consultant came in to have a look and said that she wanted to take it off today (freak out number two!!). 
After she had done the biopsy, she told me She would call me in about 10 days!! 
 

Therefore, freak out number three! I think if I'd just gone, had the biopsy, I would have half expected that and not been so worried but the consultant's escalation during the appointment is playing on my mind! 
 

I was just wondering if anyone knew of them rushing through the biopsy for any reason or had been in a similar situation. I'm wondering if it's just a case that the junior doctor wasn't fully aware of the procedure. Or maybe the consultant isn't and I will be waiting 6 weeks! 
 

Thanks in advance

Parents
  • Hi Broons, Mine was sort of changed on the day of biopsy but the circumstances were slightly different in that after using a dermascope they were 99% sure of what they were dealing with, I had other indicators too. I had lost the eyelashed on my lower lid where this lesion was. Booked in for biopsy but they decided to do the full on surgery there and then. I had to return today because my stites came out. however healing well. My biopsy results were available but the sugeon couldn't access them because they hadn't had final authorisation. he will call as soon as he gets them. 

    I hope you don't wait too long for your results

    best wishes HM

Reply
  • Hi Broons, Mine was sort of changed on the day of biopsy but the circumstances were slightly different in that after using a dermascope they were 99% sure of what they were dealing with, I had other indicators too. I had lost the eyelashed on my lower lid where this lesion was. Booked in for biopsy but they decided to do the full on surgery there and then. I had to return today because my stites came out. however healing well. My biopsy results were available but the sugeon couldn't access them because they hadn't had final authorisation. he will call as soon as he gets them. 

    I hope you don't wait too long for your results

    best wishes HM

Children
  • Hi Hassledmum

    Thank you so much for your reply.

    I'm sorry to hear that you are in a similar situation. Glad to hear you are healing well. 
     

    I do wonder if they were sure on mine but didn't say anything.  I was so focused on the actual biopsy I didn't ask enough questions about why they were doing it. 
     

    I will keep everything crossed for you that you have a positive outcome. Please do let me know how you get on.

     

    Broons x