Thy3

I had and ultrasound due to enlarged lymph nodes. They found a goiter so sent me for a fna in aug. Results were hypoechoic and thy2 . Needed a repeat fna which was done Feb and come back thy3. 

They have now said I need to choose to wait and repeat scans and fna every 3-6 months or just take it out. But if there is any changes it will have to come out anyway. Has anyone had similar and what was your experiences please. 

Parents Reply Children
  • Even if it is cancer, it's almost certainly not going to prevent you from seeing your baby grow up. The most common form of thyroid cancer has a survival rate of...I think it's over 99% in younger people. And it's probably not cancer. So the chances are even lower. That really isn't something you need to worry about. Even if it is cancer, it really isn't life threatening. 

  • Thank you. To you I must sound crazy. I wish I had your confidence and reassurance. Fear of the unknown. I know I need to try and keep calm and wait for the operation and results. It's so hard.

  • You don't sound crazy at all. It's easy for me to look back after two years and think "hey, it wasn't that big a deal after all." At the time, I was pretty freaked out. I was thinking "what if I am that one in 50 or 100 fpr whom it does spread?" I spent the weeks I was waiting for results chanting to myself, "thyroid nodules are common, thyroid cancer is rare." And of course, having a child makes it even more worrying, because you are thinking of the child as well as yourself.

    But the odds are very high that you either don't have cancer at all (the most likely) or if you do, that removing your thyroid will cure it completely and after that, you'll just need to be monitored every year to be sure it doesn't reoccur.