Thy3

I had and ultrasound due to enlarged lymph nodes. They found a goiter so sent me for a fna in aug. Results were hypoechoic and thy2 . Needed a repeat fna which was done Feb and come back thy3. 

They have now said I need to choose to wait and repeat scans and fna every 3-6 months or just take it out. But if there is any changes it will have to come out anyway. Has anyone had similar and what was your experiences please. 

Parents
  • Hi,

    is yours a U4? I have a U4, first fna has come back inconclusive and now waiting on results of core biopsy which I had last week. Anxiety is eating away at me. Sorry I know you are further forward in the process. 

  • Hi ya. 

     

    The ultrasound showed u4 so had an fna which came back thy2 but they said it was hypoechoic and showed some feature so wanted it repeated in 3 months . Had the repeat fna and is now thy3 so now they said it's my choice wait and have repeat fnas and ultrasound or remove it. Really don't know what to do. How long will it be for your core biopsy results. 

  • I'm finding this whole process so difficult. I think if I was you then I would have to have it taken out as I'm a worrier anyway. I think if you look through some of the threads you might find some people that have had similar results. Sorry, I know I've not been much help to you. They said 2 weeks for results and I had it done last Friday. Keeping everything crossed. I feel like my life is on hold :(

  • I have been looking. So much conflict , you have the people who think wait and see is great as don't wanna live without their thyroid and others that have gone for removal and made 100% right choice as it was cancer. If only we had a crystal ball huh. How long do they think it will be until your core biopsy result. Do you have any symptoms etc 

  • I just found the lump end of Dec, had US end of Jan, first FNA Feb, then core biopsy last week. When I found the lump I had no other symptoms. Since they said it was suspicious, I keep thinking my ear feels a bit pressured and painful behind it but I also think my mind could be playing tricks on me. Also the stress I'm putting myself though I know isn't helping. I'm so scared I have cancer and that no one will be able to help me. I can't switch my brain off and I have a little baby. My blood tests showed I have hypothyroidism. The over thinking is making this so incredibly hard.

  • I know what you mean it is so tough the not knowing. But from what I've seen thyroid cancer does seem very treatable and the fact you had no symptoms could be a good thing. Hopefully you won't have to wait too long for the biopsy results. I think I would had rather them tell what I have to do rather than give me the choice. It's tough I know but try not to worry too much you will make yourself feel worse with worry. I know I do somtimes

  • Thank you for being so kind. I know I shouldn't stress so much but I just can't help it. Do you have any symptoms? Did you find it hard to wait another three months for the next fna? Did they tell you on the thy2 what caused your goiter or what it actually was? Sorry for all the questions. 

  • No problems ask away, it felt like forever waiting but also it was delayed so it does make you nervous. I didn't have symptoms as such , I had all the lymph nodes in my neck come up and stayed up for a fair few weeks, the doc then sent me for a scan where they immediately were able to tell me my lymph nodes were all fine but came across this goiter that looked suspicious. I have children too and immediately I think it jumps in your head the worst and them. But I do think we have to try and stay positive and be thankful in a way they say that thyroid cancer is quite treatable if it is the wort outcome. I've read lots of other people's posts and different areas/hospitals seem to treat in different ways too

  • Hi,
     

    Did you make a decision on surgery? I got my biopsy results back, they said it's consistent with a benign follicular lump but also that malignancy can't be excluded. I have to wait for the mdt meeting next week for next steps but I'm praying they just say surgery to take it out. 

  • Hi ya. 

     

    I have said I will go for the op. I spoke with my family and we all agreed what isn't there can't hurt me. At least they are doing the most meeting for u . What part of the country are you. There is defo some differences on where u are it seems

  • I would defo have the op too. I'm in The East of England. Where are you?

  • I'm in South East. Just gotta wait for the new referral. Please let me know how your MDT goes. Do you feel easier now

Reply Children
  • To be honest no. I've realised just how bad my anxiety is. No one else seems to worry about this process on here as much as me. I think if they say after the meeting that I can have surgery then I will feel a bit better as I will know for sure then. All this you might have cancer and you might not, I just can't cope with it. It has scared me so much. You don't seem that worried either? I hate all the waiting as well. Now I'm just trying to get through the next week to get the result of the meeting. I struggle to see too much further forward as it scares me what might be ahead. 

  • I totally get where you are coming from. I came out and immediately started searching the internet but found some comfort in most places I read saying that thyroid version is quite curable. It does play on your mind though. In a way I would rather either had they grade higher or lower which ever it is to be just for some clarity because the not knowing is the hard bit. Hope you hear soon. Here if you need to chat

  • Thank you so much. Hopefully this will all be over for both of us soon. Fingers crossed.

  • Hi, have you got a surgery date yet?

  • No still waiting. I spoke to the secretary today and it has been passed to another surgeon. He should look this week but if he doesn't he is on leave next week. How are you getting on

  • I rang today and the meeting is Wednesday. They said my doctor is off sick and she was going to check if she can book me in with another doctor Thursday for the meeting results but she hasn't called back yet. I'll call again in the morning. It's all still doing my head in. Should your surgery be less than two weeks? 

  • Not as far as I'm aware. It's all a bit in the air. This has been going on since last June. All my lymph nodes in my neck were up for weeks so sent me for a scan and found the nodule which then 2 week referral for them but then sent for fna which had aug but didn't see the consultant til Oct and he never actually read my results and then said I had a 6 month check up but then sent me a letter 3 days later saying he wanted to repeat the fna in Jan. I got lost and finally had fna in Feb and he almost write me off til I reminded him he aske dfor a repeat fna. Everything was such a whirlwind when I saw him last week coz I couldn't answer then he said he would see me in 3 months for an answer but I rang his secretary and told her I'd already made up my mind last week so she has now referred me to another surgeon who has to look at it

  • My surgery, going private, was about 6 weeks after I got a diagnosis of cancer. The consultant said there was no particular rush, but psychologically, it was better to do it as quickly as possible. There is rarely any rush with thyroid cancer. The nurse implied it could wait years, as she said it was good to get it done while I was as young and healthy as possible, because every operation can be harder on older people.

  • Thank you for the info. Fingers crossed they refer me for surgery and I hope the wait isn't too long. I just want to be able to get this all over with. I feel like all the worrying is losing me precious time with my baby

  • Wow, that's quite a long journey so far. I keep ringing the hospital every 1-2 weeks although I know they prob don't like it but I want to try to hurry it along as much as I can. I can't cope with all the waiting and worrying as you probably already gathered lol