Inconclusive FNA x 2 - what's next

Hi everyone

New to this chat - just wondered if anyone has had a similar experience. A cardiac MRI last year highlighted an urelated thyroid nodule that required further investigation. Various scans and 5 needles later and still not enough cells removed due to the highly vascular nature of the nodule, in fact, last session resulted in a hematoma so the Dr has said no more FNAs to be carried out. Anyone else had this happen? I'd be interested to know what your next steps have been and whether you went ahead with surgical removal or whether you were offered monitoring... thanks in advance. 

Parents Reply Children
  • Thank you very much for your well wishes ... hope you're doing ok. 

  • Hello - I got my results last night and the diagnosis was follicular thyroid cancer... so I'm very pleased it's been removed. My case is being reviewed to assess whether the remaining left side of my thyroid should be taken out (although I've been advised this is probably unlikely). Then annual scans and blood tests for the next five years. Hope you're doing Ok - any news on your situation? 

  • Hi,

    So sorry to hear that. Glad you had it taken out. Will you have to have any other treatment? I called hospital this morning and she said my results had just come back but wouldn't give me anything over the phone and that she will show the doc and that I have to wait for either a phone or face to face appointment and will get back to me shortly.  I've not heard anything for the rest of the day. Unsure if no news is good news..... My anxiety is getting worse. Trying to keep hopeful but it's so hard

  • I'm just waiting for blood results to see if the remaining bit is functioning, if it's not I'll need meds I think - I've just got to wait for the outcome of my case review to see if they decide to remove it. 

    I know it's difficult but try to just take each day one at a time - I wouldn't read too much into someone not disclosing your results over the phone - I had exactly the same thing in the initial stages regarding the fine needle biopsy results and actually the reality was, at that point, they were inconclusive as they'd not been able to harvest enough cells, so there wasn't anything sinister behind it.

    Try and keep a positive mindset - let me know how you get on. :happy:
     

  • Thank you, you are so kind. I did ask the secretary if it was bad but she said she couldn't give out any result over the phone. I have to take meds as my thyroid has been diagnosed as under active from when they took the blood tests when I found the lump. Hope yours still works for you 

  • Hi, 

    I got my result this afternoon. They said it's consistent with a benign lesion caused by thyroiditis but that they can't rule out malignancy. I have to wait for the mdt meeting next week to see what they want to do. I already know if I have the choice I want it taken out