Breast Cancer diagnosed

Noticed my left nipple inverted, didn't worry too much but went to GP just in case. Now following,  mamogram and scan which both appeared to be clear I had a  needle biopsy and core biopsy, I was then called in to say I have Ductal cancer

 No further details were given, however, I have a MRI Friday. I have no idea what happens next regarding timelines. Can anyone advise next steps and if things are rushed or can surgery be fit in with a planned family holiday

I know this might sound bizarre, but I would really like to have my holiday before starting all the trauma , I am actually dreading all this, as probably like for most people I am in shock and bewildered as to why, how etc

Parents
  • Hi Baillie,

    I am so sorry to hear that you have been diagnosed with breast cancer.. I suspect that your consultant is waiting on the results of your MRI, before deciding what steps to take next. When are you due to go on holiday? As our moderator Jenn has said, it would be worth contacting your dedicated nurse to make the team aware that you have a holiday planned. She can then make your consultant aware of this too. I expect that you'll soon have another appointment to discuss the findings of the MRI with your consultant and ensure that you ca go away as planned. 

    You are likely to get more information about surgery and treatment options then too. By then the team will have decided whether you need chemotherapy, radiotherapy or hormone therapy. Some people just need one of these treatments, while others may need 2, or a combination of all 3. Some people get chemo before surgery. This is usually if their lump is large and it uses the chemo first, as it can help to reduce the size before surgery. Others have it after surgery. The number of sessions of radiotherapy and chemo can vary depending on the findings of your tests. There are also different types of chemo. Hormone therapy is usually administered in tablet form and is usually taken for 5 or 10 years.

    A lumpectomy is the most common form of surgery, but sometimes a mastectomy may be needed. I have had 2 bouts of cancer within a year and have had a lumpectomy, followed by a double mastectomy. I can honestly say that both surgeries were much more straightforward than I'd imagined and I recovered well after them. That was all 16 years ago now and I still lead a busy and fulfilling life. Please keep in touch and let us know how you get on. We are always here for you.

    Kind regartds,

    Jolamine xx

  • Hi thanks for replying.  I did get in touch with my BCN and she has made a note of my holiday dates.   She also said she'll let me know ASAP about the MRI results 

    However, I also checked what on the results of the core biopsy and it is Ductal Carcinoma In Situ, which I didnt pick up when we first spoke,  so I think that's slightly better news than I first thought.

  • We go on holiday for 7 days on 23rd July. So fingers crossed for now

Reply Children
  • Hi Baillie,

    I am sorry that it is cancer, but it sounds as if it's been caught early when it is still 'in situ'.  I hope that you get your MRI results soon and that all is ok.

    I am sure that your care team will do their best to work around your holiday and I trust that you'll have a lovely time. Do please keep in touch and let us know how you get on. As you know, we are always here for you.

    Kind regards,

    Jolamine xx

  • Hi  just a quick  update 

     DCIS confirmed with a 5cm mass. Still pre-invasive.

    Recommended a mastectomy, I will meet consultant to discuss treatment plan in next week

    However,  the consultant has agreed to my going on holiday and the operation will follow on my return.

    I now have time to prepare and be grateful that the consultant did a full investigation.

  • Offline in reply to Jolamine Unpublished Reply

    Hi  just a quick  update 

     DCIS confirmed with a 5cm mass. Still pre-invasive.

    Recommended a mastectomy, I will meet consultant to discuss treatment plan in next week

    However,  the consultant has agreed to my going on holiday and the operation will follow on my return.

    I now have time to prepare and be grateful that the consultant did a full investigation.

  • Hi Baillie,

    I am glad to hear that the MRI confirmed that your DCIS is still pre-invasive. I am sure that you'll feel happier once you've spoken to your consultant next week and have your treatment plan in place. I am also delighted to hear that your consultant is willing to work around your planned holiday and leave surgery until after our return.

    Kind regards,

    Jolamine xx