DCIS diagnosis

My journey started in June 2022, I'm 39 and a mum to 3 young boys. I felt lump one night and got it checked at my GP who referred me to the breast clinic. I had a physical exam and the consultant said she wasn't concerned as the lump was moveable but sent me for an ultrasound to double check.

the ultrasound showed a mass and they couldn't distinguish if it was a fibroadenoma or more serious, so took a biopsy but gave me a leaflet all about fibroadenoma as this is what she was certain it was.

a long 2 week wait and I got my results yesterday, it is DCIS. I'm devastated. The dr and lovely macmillan nurse have tried to reassure me that I have caught so so early that it will be ok but that doesn't stop the worry and panic and fear I feel, especially when I look at my boys. 
 

I am now waiting for a second biopsy and MRI to help distinguish the borders of some calcifications then it will mean surgery and probably radiotherapy. 
 

I am so scared but I've got this!! It won't stop me!! 

Parents
  • Hi Mazem83

    I am a couple of weeks ahead of you in terms of diagnosis and can understand exactly how you are feeling.

    I am in for surgery in two days time but the care I have had from all of the team is absolutely amazing.

    I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you and you are right, YOU HAVE GOT THIS !!!!!

    xxxxx

Reply
  • Hi Mazem83

    I am a couple of weeks ahead of you in terms of diagnosis and can understand exactly how you are feeling.

    I am in for surgery in two days time but the care I have had from all of the team is absolutely amazing.

    I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you and you are right, YOU HAVE GOT THIS !!!!!

    xxxxx

Children
  • Will be thinking of you and hope your surgery goes well.

    after my initial ultrasound, biopsy and a mammogram and being told I have DCIS- early stage and treatable I'm worrying so so much as have now been sent for a vacuum biopsy and MRI and I'm confused as to why??  My mind is constantly spinning 

  • Hi Mazem, 

    Sorry to hear about your diagnosis. It's a terrible shock and it's not surprising that you are worried. Totally natural. Especially with little people to think about. 

    I was diagnosed with DCIS back in February, aged 43, and have a four year old, so I can completely empathise with what you are going through.

    I didn't have a vacuum biopsy but did have an MRI which was intented to give a clearer picture of the size of the DCIS to guide surgery and give the best chance of getting it all out first time. It is likely that this is the reason they are doing an MRI.

    I would say try not to worry but I know that's impossible but try to remember also that DCIS is the earliest possible stage to catch it and is totally treatable.

    You've got a journey ahead of you but like a previous reply said, you've got this!! I'm finished with surgery now and heading for radiotherapy but can see the light at the end of the tunnel and you will too.

    Take care and wishing you all the best xx

  • I've now been feeling pain in my upper back and rib cage and I'm terrified the MRI is going to pick up more than DCIS . I'm not sleeping I'm just panicking all the time. 

  • Hi Mazem, 

    Waiyng for tests and waiting for the results are the hardest and scariest part of this journey. I promise it does get easier. Knowing all the information and having a treatment plan is so much easier than dealing with all the 'what if's'.

    Hang in there, you have a tough few weeks ahead but you can get through this.

    Take care x

  • So I've just had second biopsy and I've come away in pieces. After my first biopsy results showed DCIS and doctor and macmillan nurse were really positive that it was very early, treatable and not a threat to life (their words).

    but doctor sent me for an MRI and. Second biopsy as calcifications also showed up on mammogram.

    she checked my armpits and said nothing also 

     

    on arrival for second biopsy the lovely lady said the doctor had also requested scanning of my armpit as she felt a lump (I was not told this!!) 

    after the biopsy she said the calcification wa 8cm in length and couldn't guarantee it wasn't more sinister than DcIs

    why did the doctor play this down when it could potentially be more sinister than her original DCIS, non life threatening and treatable initial outcome

     

    im confused and terrified

  • Did you have any calcifications? 

  • Hi 

    I pushed for a referral to the Breast Clinic since last October as had a patch of skin on my left breast that had changed, upon referral they discovered a lump in the same breast, both the skin biopsy and lump were benign, which I was delighted about, however they discovered on the mammogram on my right breast that there was calcifications, after ultrasounds, stereo biopsy and MRI scan I have been diagnosed with DCIS grade 0 and stage 2 to 3, I am booked for a mastectomy in August but told no other treatment needed as caught very early, I just feel so relieved, if I hadn't pushed for the changes in the left breast it wouldn't of been found until I felt a lump. I can honestly say the waiting for the results was the worst week of my life, the fear was off the scale, but now I know and know I will be ok I feel so lucky, I was meant to go to the breast clinic, the wait is without a doubt the worst part 

  • Thanks for replying.

    the waiting is totally the worse part, I'm just so anxious all the time and can't stop crying.

    If you don't mind me asking what size was the calcification area .

  • The waiting is awful, I feel for you. I also was told that one lymph node was swollen but came back as normal and clear 

    The DCIS is 45mm as I do not have a large chest to do a lumpectomy and get clear margins it would be easier to do a mastectomy which I was happy with, I had already decided that if anything showed up I wanted to have a mastectomy.

    When will you get your second biopsy results? 

     

  • I have 18th July as a date for results but the nurse rang today and said if all test results are back by this Friday when they all sit down and discuss cases then they may be able to bring this forward slightly.

    my lump is 2cm and a stage 0 DCIS

    the calcifications that they have just biopsied are 8cm (really  big I feel). I too have a small bust so I'm also already thinking I will be told mastectomy and have already mentally accepted this.