Breast cancer and now a lump in my thyroid

Hi all, 

I can't quite believe I'm back here in less than 3 years! Anyhow, in Nov 2019 I was diagnosed with oestrogen receptive Invasive ductal carcinoma. It was caught early and I took quite drastic action, opting for mastectomies. I was given the all clear just before the pandemic and unfortunately didn't get any follow up appointments. Then in January I started to get a hoarse voice, a strange back ache and couldn't shift cold symptoms. My doctor did bloods to check for Myeloma (which came back negative and sent me for an MRI. That scan found no malignancies on my spine but did find an enlarged nodule on my thyroid. Apparently, this nodule was there 2 years ago (news to me) and has grown considerably since. Sure enough there is a 2 inch hard lump visible when I swallow. I had a fine needle aspiration and have had biopsy results today - it's grade 3 which is inconclusive. So I'm having surgery to remove the lump and that side of my thyroid. Further tests will then be done to determine cancer or not
 

Have any breast cancer lovelies also experienced thyroid issues or thyroid cancer. Metastatic breast cancer to the thyroid is very rare but it isn't unknown. 
 

Having an inconclusive result after months and months  of waiting took me by surprise and I can't believe I didn't ask any questions in my appointment. You'd think I'd know better!!! 
 

thank you for reading 

Parents
  • Hello CazStu,

    very interested in your previous post. I had a lumpectomy and ANC 2 years ago for Right hand side invasive ductal breast cancer ER+ and HER-.

    I now have a 26mm solitary thyroid nodule seen under ultrasound as U3 indeterminate (cannot decide whether cancer or not). It’s been biopsied with a frustrating Thy1 inadequate result.  In parallel as a result of my annual surveillance mammogram, the breast team at the same hospital have seen 2 areas in my breast (now the “good” left hand side - one of which they have already biopsied and I am waiting for a result. The second area may need a biopsy under mammogram (not ultrasound) at a regional hospital as calcifications showing. I am waiting for a decision on this.

    I think the thyroid team are aware they’ve taken 2 months to biopsy my thyroid nodule (nhs wait time). They know there’s an association being seen in studies between risk of breast cancer than thyroid(and vice versa).  Rather than just offer a repeat thyroid  biopsy - they have also offered to remove half of my thyroid. I have said yes to this and joined the queue for surgery yesterday (6 week wait).

    In the meantime I wait for the results from the breast team (will either/both of these 5mm small areas in my “good” boob turn out to be cancerous? If so the breast surgery/treatment is likely to then take priority.

    I see lots of studies talking about the link between thyroid and breast cancer. I’ve read one today about a possible link between thyroid treatment (thyroxine) and increase chance of Breast Cancer.

    It could be all 3 areas are benign. It could be all 3 areas are cancer. Or anything in between!

    what happened to you? I wonder if you are able to reply?

    is anyone out there in similar situation?

Reply
  • Hello CazStu,

    very interested in your previous post. I had a lumpectomy and ANC 2 years ago for Right hand side invasive ductal breast cancer ER+ and HER-.

    I now have a 26mm solitary thyroid nodule seen under ultrasound as U3 indeterminate (cannot decide whether cancer or not). It’s been biopsied with a frustrating Thy1 inadequate result.  In parallel as a result of my annual surveillance mammogram, the breast team at the same hospital have seen 2 areas in my breast (now the “good” left hand side - one of which they have already biopsied and I am waiting for a result. The second area may need a biopsy under mammogram (not ultrasound) at a regional hospital as calcifications showing. I am waiting for a decision on this.

    I think the thyroid team are aware they’ve taken 2 months to biopsy my thyroid nodule (nhs wait time). They know there’s an association being seen in studies between risk of breast cancer than thyroid(and vice versa).  Rather than just offer a repeat thyroid  biopsy - they have also offered to remove half of my thyroid. I have said yes to this and joined the queue for surgery yesterday (6 week wait).

    In the meantime I wait for the results from the breast team (will either/both of these 5mm small areas in my “good” boob turn out to be cancerous? If so the breast surgery/treatment is likely to then take priority.

    I see lots of studies talking about the link between thyroid and breast cancer. I’ve read one today about a possible link between thyroid treatment (thyroxine) and increase chance of Breast Cancer.

    It could be all 3 areas are benign. It could be all 3 areas are cancer. Or anything in between!

    what happened to you? I wonder if you are able to reply?

    is anyone out there in similar situation?

Children
No Data