Waiting times for treatment/surgery

My dad had his first appointment with his consultant following biopsies taken from his ureter (taken during a stent operation at the beginning of Feb) and he was told the following;
 

the tumour they had discovered/taken biopsies of is a papillary high grade urothelial carcinoma which needs surgery to remove the kidney/ureter/tumour.

the consultant confirmed that it was fairly aggressive and that there is a potential risk of rupture from the ureter and subsequent spread. It is also likely to spread to his bladder.

However, even though the operation is required immediately, due to waiting times it will take up to 3 months to get him on the table??

when asked if this would affect my dads mortality, the doctor told him yes it could as it could rupture at any time.

Is this a typical response? To wait for an operation where treatment is viable due to bureaucracy and waiting lists, only for when the time comes he may be untreatable?

we were told that moving his treatment to another trust wouldn't speed anything up and private care wouldn't be financially viable.

any advice on what we can do to give him the best chance?

Parents
  • Hello Whosthatgirl and welcome to Cancer Chat, 

    I can understand why you were shocked by this response. Three months is a long time to have to wait and being told there is a risk it might rupture and spread to the bladder in the meantime is not very reassuring. I would perhaps try to seek a second opinion from another consultant. Talk about your concerns about the waiting times and whether there is anything that can be done to be seen earlier given the risks of waiting which you were told could affect your dad's mortality.  You can find out more about getting a second opinion on this page. 

    I hope you manage to talk to a specialist about this and that they are able to help reduce the waiting times. It is worth also bringing up the fact that your dad would be willing to take any cancellation. 

    Best wishes, 

    Lucie, Cancer Chat Moderator

Reply
  • Hello Whosthatgirl and welcome to Cancer Chat, 

    I can understand why you were shocked by this response. Three months is a long time to have to wait and being told there is a risk it might rupture and spread to the bladder in the meantime is not very reassuring. I would perhaps try to seek a second opinion from another consultant. Talk about your concerns about the waiting times and whether there is anything that can be done to be seen earlier given the risks of waiting which you were told could affect your dad's mortality.  You can find out more about getting a second opinion on this page. 

    I hope you manage to talk to a specialist about this and that they are able to help reduce the waiting times. It is worth also bringing up the fact that your dad would be willing to take any cancellation. 

    Best wishes, 

    Lucie, Cancer Chat Moderator

Children
No Data