Worried about time it is taking to be treated.

I contacted my GP in September with abdominal pains. I had bloods done then a Qfit and in mid October was advised he thought I may have bowel cancer and was referring for urgent double scope which would take approximately 5 weeks. We scraped the money together to go private and was diagnosed with a moderately differentiated caecal adenocarcinoma on 5th November . My GP then referred me to the colorectal cancer pathway.

I had a CT scan early December and was advised on Christmas Eve that there was a  node on my Adrenal Gland and was being referred for another urgent scan which would take around 2 weeks. When 3 weeks passed I called the nurse who told me she would refer me again which will take around another 3 weeks.

It is now 11 weeks since diagnosis and I am still waiting for scan of my Adrenal Gland with no sign of treatment starting. I am worried sick that by the time they start it will be too late.

Is this time scale normal? Am I right to be concerned?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. 

Parents
  • I would go back to my doctor and get him to expidite my appointments things are taking longer at the moment but scans are still being done. Last Christmas l had a colonoscopy on new year and saw a gynaecology oncology surgeon in January, , You could contact the nurse that referred you to see if they can find out why you are still waiting, The surgeons secretary was really helpful and contacted the surgeon for me and got me a date for my surgery . 
    l hope you have your scans soon with good  results, 

    susie

  • Hi Susie, 

    I am going to phone the nurse on Monday and see if I can push things. The scan of my Adrenal Gland seems to be holding things up. I won't get a surgery date until that has been done. I am struggling a bit now and feel on a downward spiral. Hopefully I can make some progress next week. 

    I wish you well with your surgery. 

     

  • A goonie flapping in the wind would put some folk off their dinner I'm sure

    I'm hoping this will be the last test they will do and then decide what the plan is . It's been a long time coming anyway . I will update when I know a bit more . 
    take care and good luck with the results . I'm rooting for you 

  • I was wondering how your scan went in the twilight zone. 

    I had a call from the Colorectal Nurse this afternoon. There is nothing sinister going on with my Adrenal Gland and I have an appointment with the consultant on Thursday to discuss the plan of action. I will be anxious and uptight however I can now see some light. 

    I hope and pray that we are both moving towards the end of this particular journey and can say with confidence that we have beaten this thing. 

  • Hiya 

    thank you for keeping me in your thoughts . It's heart warming  to know we all think of each other 

    Great news about your scan results and contacting you so quickly was a definite bonus. I'm really pleased for you  . I'm sure they will be putting a plan in place for you very quickly to blast this flaming invader . 
    scan was fine apart from the twighight zone losing all its active abilities before my appointment time . I had a call to say it had all broken down but they moved me to another department at a later time . I have no idea how long I'll wait for the results but I'm hoping for as quick as possible . It's another anxious time for us both but I have every faith we will get there in the end . No more tests just action now . 
    let us know how your consultant appointment goes . I hope they get you booked in rapidly and you don't have to wait too long .  

  • Hi 

    just a note to say best of luck tomorrow with your appointment. I really hope they give you a plan and get things going quickly . 
    let us know how things go . 

  • Hi, 

    Thank you for your thoughts. 

    I was wondering how you were getting on. I thought you might have had some feedback from your scan. Hope you hear something over the next couple of days. 

    I tried calling my manager today to give him an update but he's on annual leave. I don't know if I'll have a job to go back to. I think the contract is scheduled to finish around June. 

    I received a letter yesterday advising that I have an appointment on 21st February with The MK Pre-Operative Assessment Unit. I think this is something to do with the Anaesthetist. Can't figure what the MK is.

    Anyway, I'll give you an update tomorrow after I speak with the surgeon. Hopefully you'll have an update for me.

    Take care. You are in my thoughts. 

  • I'm not any further forward as yet . Still waiting on scan results . I called the clinic today and the nurse said she would chase them up . How long that will take is anybodys guess . 
    It's rubbish having to worry about work on top of everything else . I've been very fortunate with my managers thankfully and I'm grateful for their support but I know that a lot of people can't say that . I really hope it works out for you and your job is there when you've recovered and are well enough . It still boggles my mind as to how one day everything was fine and the next my whole life had collapsed . 
    the appointment you got for the 21st will be your preop check . They will do bloods , height , weight and heart . Also a MRSA check . Plus a very long health questionnaire . I had mine 10th Dec . Bit like putting the cart before the horse really ! 
    I wonder if the MK is the initials of the hospital ? 
    I'm sure they will give you more info tomorrow and then you'll feel a bit clearer . I'll wait to hear how it goes . Good luck ! 

  • Things are now progressing fairly quickly. The target date for surgery is 15th March. Due to my cardiac history there are some potential complications so I require an echo and a pulmonary function test to be carried out first. The surgeon was very engaging and explained clearly the procedure and the risks. I find the whole thing daunting and it has taken a couple of days to absorb it all.

    I totally get what you are saying. I think I am still slightly in shock. I was sitting in work one morning, feeling fairly content, when I got a call from my GP which was a life changing moment. My mind has been spinning since. 

    I am just about to watch the rugby. Hopefully it'll give me a wee lift. 

  • Really glad you've got a date .I was thinking of you  Time will Pass pretty quickly I'm sure especially with all the other appointments in between . It settles the mind when there's more of a plan in place and it's good the consultant was informative . That's what you want and need at a time like this . I wish you the best of luck with it all . I got a call on Thursday morning to attend the clinic that day for my liver scan results . I asked the nurse what I was facing and she said it's good ! I honestly was on my knees ! The lesion is a benign haemangioma so it can stay put and keep out of the way . Op date 10/3 which isn't too far away . I don't have any issues with surgery at all if I'm honest . They can chop what they like as long as this thing is out . I know I'll be in pain etc but the way I look at it is if I'm breathing and upright , I'm winning . After surgery , well , I'll face that when necessary . All in its looking a lot more positive for us both and Scotland have scored .... Keep in touch please and let me know how things are going . It's really nice to be able to support each other at this horrible time . 

  • The rugby is a bit tense. 

    I am really pleased to hear that you are also making progress. Our op dates are not far apart provided I can get all my ducks in line. Breathing and upright is a tad better than the alternative.

    I hope you have a good weekend and I will update you on any further news.

  • Hi Jock  
    just thinking about you and wondered how things were going ? I hope you're further forward and surgery is booked ? 

Reply Children
  • Hi, 

    Sorry for taking so long to respond. I hope things are progressing for you. You have been in my thoughts. 

    I have been busy over the past few weeks and have spent some time back and forth from the hospital. I am there three times this week. Things were going to plan and I was prepared for my surgery on the 15th. After I returned  from my appointment today, where my surgery on the 15th was mentioned, I had a call from one of the colorectal nurses. The call was very brief and I had the impression she could not get off the phone quick enough. She told me that the surgeon had not heard back from the anaesthetist so he has cancelled my surgery. It will now be some time in April and she will phone me when she has a date. I was a bit stunned and speechless. I am still trying to make sense of it. I am wondering what he needs from the anaesthetist and why he can't just chase it up. My surgery is two weeks away so why does it need to be cancelled. I have went in to a bit of a tail spin. They tell you that the best chance of surviving cancer is early diagnosis. I worry that I was diagnosed early enough for something to be done but it hasn't. 

  • Hi Jock 

    im actually gobsmacked that this has happened to you . I would have thought the nurse would have given you more of an explanation as to what was going on . They need to realise that although to them we are just a case number but to us and our families/friends we are much more . This is our lives and not being given a full explanation is not acceptable and contributes to the mental torture that we are already going through . 
    Are You planning on contacting them again for more info ? 
    I don't know if they can get you on the waiting list at another hospital . That's what they do for scans etc but I'm not sure if it's the same for surgery ? 
    I  feel very sad that this is happening to you and hope so much that you will get a date much sooner than they expect. 
    from my side , I'm doing ok . Surgery as planned next week but again who knows . I don't think I'll believe it until I'm actually wheeled into a theatre . 
    Let me know how you get on and keep at them if you can . Don't give up because we are all worth more than a number . I'm rooting for you .  

  • Hi, 

    Thanks for your support. 

    I am really struggling at the moment. Yesterday was a blow that was completely unexpected and has left me unable to think straight. My head is in a bit of a mess. I have an appointment for an echo tomorrow afternoon and I will drop into Maggie's for a chat. They have been able to find things out for me in the past. I can't understand surgery being cancelled now whilst there is still two weeks for them to gather whatever information they need. After my echo tomorrow all the pre-surgery exploration will be completed. How much damage can be done by delaying surgery for another month or more? As I said, my head is in a mess. 

  • Hiya

    I completely understand how you're feeling . Unless you've been in a similar  situation it's difficult to get the level of anxiety and the effects of the horrors of your own mind . Maggies is a good call though and hopefully they will be able to shed a bit more light on what could be happening . The lack of information is the worst thing because you think all sorts and then things start to spiral rapidly . Do you have another appointment with your consultant scheduled ? If so , it might be an idea to pin him/her down and delve into all the "what ifs" . I did that at one point with my consultant and I'm not sure she expected it but it was the only way I could cope with the time it was taking to actually get a treatment plan . 
    Once I had all the information that's when I started to actually get my head around what I may be facing . Suppose that's not for everyone and we are all different but I do know you need answers . It's been too long now  . Let me know how things go tomorrow and how you get on at Maggies . I'll be thinking of you . 

  • Hi, 

    Thinking about you. I hope that you're surgery tomorrow is straightforward and successful. I hope that it's all that is necessary to rid you of this thing and that brighter days lie ahead. You will be foremost in my thoughts tomorrow. 

    I will look forward to you advising me that all is well and you are beginning your journey to recovery. 

    My very best wishes are with you. 

  • Hi Jock 

    Many thanks for your kind words . They are very much appreciated . I was taken yesterday . I assume there was a free surgery slot and I was next on the list . I was home just after 6pm and am recovering . Path results will be next week so that will determine the next stage of treatment . As always , fingers crossed for a positive outcome . Another waiting game but at least im another step forward whatever that will bring . 
    I've been thinking of you and hoping you've had some answers ?. How are you feeling ? Totally understand if you don't want to talk as I know how it can be . 

  • Hi, 

    It’s good to hear you have had your surgery and have started your recovery. I'll keep everything crossed for a positive outcome.

    I am no further forward. I had my echo on Thursday which was the last of the pre-operative checks. I am now back in Limbo frustrated and concerned . Another long period of nothing. I have, however, got a wee lift from your progress.

     

  • Hi Jock

    Thank you for your kind thoughts and I'm sorry you're no further forward . It's a terribly distressing time . Have you got an appointment for the echo results ? I just hope that they get going very soon for you and get a final treatment plan in place . I'm glad I've given you a wee lift though although I know it's not the ideal . 
    when you get more news let me know and I'll be hoping and praying it will be very soon . 

  • Hi Jock 

    I've  been thinking of you and thought I'd message to see how things were with you ? I hope you're further forward with your treatment and doing well . 

  • Hi, 

    Thank you for thinking about me. Things are now beginning to move. From mid March I have been trying to get some answers. Last Monday I had a call to tell me I was pencilled in for surgery on the 14th April. She told me I would need another CT scan before this. I had a call on Tuesday from the Consultant's secretary saying he wanted to see me on Monday 4th. I had a call on Wednesday to tell me that surgery was being moved forward to the 12th. So things are now moving. I don't think I could stand this any longer as I am now in constant pain. So I see the consultant tomorrow morning and I should have a clear picture then. I will let you know how I get on.

    I was wondering how you were. Have you had results from pathology? 

    It’s really nice to hear from you BTW.