Should I fly long haul two weeks after chemo

Had an awful year last year and things were looking up, onc told me things had been looking good so go live my life as things were under control, so booked a months holiday to florid a as a treat for my 50th, then got poorly again, need to start chemo on 11th Feb for 6 treatments this will finish 14 days before we meet to fly, was wondering if anyone has an opinion, I feel confused as I want to go but my insurance will not insure me as soon after chemo, I need something to look forward too.

Parents
  • Hi

    Like others have said think you should take the advice of your medical team as to whether this would  be okay healthwise but as far as the USA is concerned my husband could not get insurance to cover him (it would have cost three times the cost of the holiday and not viable!). Three months later (after chemo was withdrawn) he had the chance to go to China on (though we did not know it at the time) his last business trip  and again the insurance quote was too high.  This time he took the decision to take a chance and went anyway and spent 10 days away with no ill effects (his wonderful boss not only agreed to cover any costs should they arise but also as a surprise flew him to see the Chinese Formula 1 GP  whilst they also completed the business side of the trip)  My husband never had a bucket list and once home did not wish to go away again but I am forever grateful to his company for giving him this last opportunity.

    Wishing you all the very best with your treatment and hope you get a holiday break wherever it may be.

    Jules x

  • Thanks jules54

    For your reply I know it's not ideal to fly 14 days after chemo but this was booked last yr with a trip to florid a then new York,  my health is my priority but if I'm healthy enough then do I just say sod it I'm going ? I will see what onc advises I maybe able to postpone it but I'm thinking until I have got through 3 treatments half way through then nobody will say ? 

Reply
  • Thanks jules54

    For your reply I know it's not ideal to fly 14 days after chemo but this was booked last yr with a trip to florid a then new York,  my health is my priority but if I'm healthy enough then do I just say sod it I'm going ? I will see what onc advises I maybe able to postpone it but I'm thinking until I have got through 3 treatments half way through then nobody will say ? 

Children