Should I fly long haul two weeks after chemo

Had an awful year last year and things were looking up, onc told me things had been looking good so go live my life as things were under control, so booked a months holiday to florid a as a treat for my 50th, then got poorly again, need to start chemo on 11th Feb for 6 treatments this will finish 14 days before we meet to fly, was wondering if anyone has an opinion, I feel confused as I want to go but my insurance will not insure me as soon after chemo, I need something to look forward too.

Parents Reply Children
  • Really davek

     

    This really gives me hope, I'm wanting to go and if I'm OK to fly then I ask why not, my health is my priority would you know where you got your insurance from and was it expensive thanks for your reply

  •  

    Just a thought, but did you take out travel insurance when you booked your holiday? If you did, and if you hadn't been diagnosed at the time, you might be covered as it wasn't then a pre-existing condition.   

    Here are some tips which may help. My advice isn't very diplomatically put - but the wording used needs to be precise.

    1) try to choose a site which gives quotes based on assessments made via online forms. These are less stressful to use than talking to someone and you have more control over what is recorded.

    2) whilst being scrupulously truthful, don't paint things too black. e.g. if no-one has used the word "terminal" or has said that "death is expected within six months" do not tick the box that says "have you had a terminal diagnosis". 

    3) don't arrange insurance for longer than you need, if you plan a second holiday and your situation has changed you will need to declare that or the insurance could be null and void.

    4) declare all your ailments whether cancer-related or not. If you fail to do so, your insurance could be null and void.

    Moderator Jane has pointed to some useful information. Since my diagnosis I have used www.allcleartravel.co.uk/ with no problem but try to get at least two quotes from different companies. It WILL be expensive - in my case it was the same cost as my flight to India and back. The USA is notoriously expensive for travel insurance if you have a pre-existing medical condition.

    I hope this helps!
    Good luck.
    Dave

  • Yes we have insurance and they will not cover the cancer if we go on trip, we can cancel and maybe get as much as we can back, like I say my health is the most important factor I was just wondering if many people have flown 14 days after chemo, I could postpone if needed  but I think if I'm OK to fly then go for it, but that answer is not what I have as I start chemo this Thurs then have 6 treatments so half way I may know how I'm feeling,  but thanks for your reply and I wish you well Daventry

    Helen

  • Oh heck - that's disappointing. If the USA proves too expensive for your travel insurance, you could recoup as much as you can and fly somewhere less prohibitive - the rest of the World!
    What chemo regime are you on? I was on EOX - Epirubicin, Oxaliplatin and Capecitabine (Xeloda).
    I flew 3 our weeks after my final infusions of Epirubicin and Oxaliplatin and just under a week after coming off Capecitibane. 

    I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who has flown somewhere warm after chemo, my oncologist said he should be able to prescribe it on the NHS!

    Good luck!
    Dave 

     

  • Hi davek

    I'm starting chemo tomorrow 11th Feb on taxoteire for 6 cycles I fin 26 may all being well I'm off to USA 14 days later, onc told me today if all is well then she doesn't  see any reason why I can't go, so my dilemma  is do I wait and c if OK and if not then maybe loose money our play safe get as much as we can back then rebook later date ??? Can't decide what to do want to go but ???

    My main thing is getting through chemo then ideally fly off to states can't decide ??

    Thanks dave