Postpone 1st chemo until after trip abroad???

My Mum is otherwise in good health and we have a trip to Paris planned in 4 weeks. She is scheduled to begin chemo in less than a week and we are unsure what is in her best interests.

She has stage 4 lung cancer that has spread to her brain. We found out about 6 weeks ago. Obviously, we do not know how she will respond to treatment, although from what I know I'm hearing, she will be more prone to infections and blood clotting (in the air), at the very least. Given that her cancer is so advanced, it makes sense to get a head start with treatment asap, which would undoubtedly be the case, if it weren't for our trip. Mum is 68 and has never been out of the UK!

Our choice is either postpone chemo for 5 weeks so that it wont intefere with her ability to enjoy herself, or go ahead with 1st chemo treatment and keep fingers crossed that she doesnt become unwell. I would appreciate any feedback on what others have experienced in this regard!

Parents
  • It's your Mum's choice - please just respect whatever she decides.

    When I was diagnosed I had no idea of how fast or slow growing my Stage 4 cancer was and I personally was hammering on doors trying to get my chemo treatment started as soon as possible. My view was that I had lost enough time by having a late diagnosis and I would not have done anything which would cause further delay.

    But that was MY choice, no-one else's.

    Being practical, delaying a month may shorten the odds of survival a little, but not going will reduce Mum's enjoyment of the time she has. 

    The one option I wouldn't advise is having chemo and then going on holiday. It affects everyone differently but chemo usually makes you feel ill and who wants to go on holiday whilst feeling ill?

    I do hope this helps!

    Good luck to you and your Mum, whatever decision she makes :-)
    Dave

     

     

  • Thanks everyone for your replies and helpful advice!! Based on what you have been saying, the consensus seems to be postpone chemo! So that's what Mum has decided to do. She will now begin chemo on 1st June, so I hope and pray that the good energy flowing through her in anticpation of this trip will be helping to heal her prior to chemp. The body can do amazing things!

    Thanks again to you all... sincere best wishes on your individual journeys xo

Reply
  • Thanks everyone for your replies and helpful advice!! Based on what you have been saying, the consensus seems to be postpone chemo! So that's what Mum has decided to do. She will now begin chemo on 1st June, so I hope and pray that the good energy flowing through her in anticpation of this trip will be helping to heal her prior to chemp. The body can do amazing things!

    Thanks again to you all... sincere best wishes on your individual journeys xo

Children
No Data